Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

*Updated* ES Mechanics...what does it cost to replace a thermostat? Cost $11 + 1 hour

#98QBKiller

Replaced it on Friday, costs $11 for the thermostat and took an hour to replace.

You guys were right not a bad job at all. I drank about two beers, moved a couple parts, took out the old, put in the new (with a little gasket sealant for good measure) and replaced the two parts and bam! No more hot engine.

Thanks for the help everyone :cheers:

The part it self will run you $12.00 and it comes with the seal. Some shops might charge you for coolant 10-12 dollars. The labor calls for 1.5 hours depending on hourly labor rates, my shop is 83.00 per hour so for a grand total from my dealership you would be looking at.......about 150.00 plus tax

The part it self will run you $12.00 and it comes with the seal. Some shops might charge you for coolant 10-12 dollars. The labor calls for 1.5 hours depending on hourly labor rates, my shop is 83.00 per hour so for a grand total from my dealership you would be looking at.......about 150.00 plus tax
Deffinetly not as easy on the 6 cylinder vortec in the blazers!!

Thanks man...I looked into doing it myself but I was told the same thing, that it's a pain in the ass to change them on my model of Blazer!

Thanks man...I looked into doing it myself but I was told the same thing, that it's a pain in the ass to change them on my model of Blazer!

hmmm... that might be. But you might give it a shot anyways. I've done several thermostats over the years... it's as simple as disconnecting the upper radiator hose, popping the old one out, and putting the new one in.

I had a diesel mercedes a few years ago... it had kind of a funky assembly attached to the upper radiator hose. I spent a few hours dissasembling the entire thing looking for that dam thermostat. parts and pieces spread from hell to breakfast all over the garage. I finally called a friend of mine and asked him if he had any ideas... he immediately asked if it was a diesel. "Yes" I said... to which he replied "then it's on the lower hose"

:doh: So I put it all back together, took off the lower hose, and it was right there. Something about diesels, I guess they put them on the lower hose. :whoknows:

The part should only cost you about $10-15. I would really look at trying it yourself. It can be a messy job... but shouldn't be too hard.

thats highway robbery!!!!!! it cost about 6 -7 dollars for the thermostat and about 3 for the gasket ..... 2 -3 for silicone and is a 30 45 minute job on most american vehicles.......... wow........ 150 bucks?????????

i had a chevy 89 k5 blazer w/ a 350 and the therm was right THERE you cant miss it and it is an easy job on almost all american cars..........

I would do it myself. I have changed the thermo on an Oldsmobile, a couple Jeeps, and a Dodge. They are super easy. Go online and look for instructions with pics...unless you have $100-$150 for a mechanic to do it for you.
hmmm... that might be. But you might give it a shot anyways. I've done several thermostats over the years... it's as simple as disconnecting the upper radiator hose, popping the old one out, and putting the new one in.

I had a diesel mercedes a few years ago... it had kind of a funky assembly attached to the upper radiator hose. I spent a few hours dissasembling the entire thing looking for that dam thermostat. parts and pieces spread from hell to breakfast all over the garage. I finally called a friend of mine and asked him if he had any ideas... he immediately asked if it was a diesel. "Yes" I said... to which he replied "then it's on the lower hose"

:doh: So I put it all back together, took off the lower hose, and it was right there. Something about diesels, I guess they put them on the lower hose. :whoknows:

The part should only cost you about $10-15. I would really look at trying it yourself. It can be a messy job... but shouldn't be too hard.

Yeah, I'm going to take a look at it and see, my neighbor pointed out where he "thinks" the thermostat is but I at least wanted some kind of idea on the cost...I'm considering buying the $15 book on my truck at auto zone which should help me locate everything and which I should probably own anyway.

i keep a 90 jeep on the road with 250k on it andi have always driven cars well past their time and i keep them together by using a haynes manual or a chilton manual.....

im not payin some grease monkey <joke> to change out simple components..... i do leave the bigger jobs <powertrain> to the same mechanic for 20 years now..

oh, and when you buy the part, they'll probably ask you what temperature thermostat you want. The correct answer is "OEM" :) I wouldn't mess with the operating temp of the engine... though many people do I guess.

Or better yet, get it at the dealer.

oh, and when you buy the part, they'll probably ask you what temperature thermostat you want. The correct answer is "OEM" :) I wouldn't mess with the operating temp of the engine... though many people do I guess.

Not really a big deal if you do get a different temperature thermostat AS LONG as you get a matching fan switch. What you don't want is for the fans to be on a different temp than the thermostat. That said, definitely easiest to just stick with OEM.

Not really a big deal if you do get a different temperature thermostat AS LONG as you get a matching fan switch. What you don't want is for the fans to be on a different temp than the thermostat. That said, definitely easiest to just stick with OEM.

good to know

as far as temp..... down here the road temp is over 100 for about 100+ days a year so i use a 140 in the summer for extra cooling and a 180 in the winter..... yes with 250k miles i change them a couple of times a year.....yeah it costs money but less than a break down...

That said, definitely easiest to just stick with OEM.

I'll be sure to ask for the OEM thanks for the heads up guys

i had a chevy 89 k5 blazer w/ a 350 and the therm was right THERE you cant miss it and it is an easy job on almost all american cars..........

There is no easier vehicle to work on than a Blazer with a 350, except maybe a Nova or something. That engine is as close to the basic (and perfect) you can get.

The newer Blazers, the small guys, are a pain in the ass.

And zoony, it wasn't the diesels fault, it's Mercadies.

The labor calls for 1.5 hours depending on hourly labor rates, my shop is 83.00 per hour so for a grand total from my dealership you would be looking at.......about 150.00 plus tax

How much of that $83.00 / hour labor charges goes back to your mechanics?

I gave up the trade because of the **** money I was being paid.

Archived