Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Add oil! Add oil!

China

Add oil! Add oil!

Thu Jun 5, 2:52 PM ET

BEIJING (Reuters) - Beijing organizers are promoting an officially sanctioned chanting routine for Chinese spectators at August's Olympics, state media said Thursday.

Incorporating the ubiquitous Chinese sporting chant, "Jiayou" or "add oil," the four-step routine is designed to help spectators cheer in a "smooth and civilized manner" at the August 8-24 Games.

The chant will be promoted by television programs, video presentations and squads of cheering volunteers at the venues as well as by the education ministry, the People's Daily reported.

The routine begins with "Olympics -- add oil" accompanied by two claps and a double thumbs up, before continuing with "China -- add oil" with two more claps and raised fists.

Click on the link for the full article

:wtf:

:laugh: I definitely chanted "jia you" at some Chinese school field day events back when I was a kid ... It definitely translates correctly as adding oil - like if you were going to stop at a gas station and fill your tank up, you would say you were going to "jia you."

I wonder if its etymology is actually older than the internal combustion engine - maybe it's more like adding oil to the fire for heat or for cooking ... :whoknows:

:laugh: I definitely chanted "jia you" at some Chinese school field day events back when I was a kid ... It definitely translates correctly as adding oil - like if you were going to stop at a gas station and fill your tank up, you would say you were going to "jia you."

I wonder if its etymology is actually older than the internal combustion engine - maybe it's more like adding oil to the fire for heat or for cooking ... :whoknows:

Or a competitive fire.

Archived