Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Blache (Wikipedia)

robotfire

Greg Blache (born March 9, 1949) is the current defensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins. He served as Defensive Line Coach from 2004-2007 for the Redskins. He worked for the Chicago Bears prior to joining the Redskins.

On Jan. 26, 2008, Blache was named defensive coordinator of the Redskins. He had spent the previous four seasons leading the Redskins' defensive line unit. Blache previously was defensive coordinator in Chicago. In 2003, Blache's Chicago defense finished the season fifth in the NFC in total defense, and 14th in the NFL, the team's highest league overall-ranking since the 1998 season.

During his tenure, Blache's defenses forced 138 turnovers, including 37 in 2001, the most by a Bears defense since 1990, and accounted for 13 touchdowns (two in 1999, four in 2000, five in 2001, one in 2002, and one in 2003).

In 2002, Blache dealt with numerous injuries, leading to 11 different starting line-ups over the course of 16 games. While juggling personnel, the Bears defense continued with their attacking, aggressive style that set records during the 2001 season.

They forced 64 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and reached a league plateau by forcing at least one turnover in 33 consecutive games, the second longest active streak in the NFL at the time.

In 2001, Blache molded the Bears defense into one of the top units in the league, producing the top-ranked scoring defense by allowing only 203 points in 16 games (12.7 points per game). His run defense finished second in the NFL and first in the NFC, allowing just 82.1 yards per game, while allowing only three rushes of 20 yards or more all seasons and only six rushing touchdowns.

Prior to joining the Bears, Blache served as defensive line coach for the Indianapolis Colts for five seasons (1994-98) and held the same position with the Green Bay Packers for six years (1988-93).

In addition to his pro coaching experience, Blache has held positions with several college programs. He began his coaching career as a defensive assistant at his alma mater Notre Dame in 1968, after suffering a leg injury that ended his playing career. Following his graduation in 1971, he stayed on as a graduate assistant and then as an assistant coach for the Fighting Irish for four more seasons (1972-75).

click for the rest of wikipedia entry.

Of particular interest to me was his turnover history. His defense also appears to produce some touchdowns, which would obviously be the result of high turnovers. He's made it clear to the press that he intends to have a more aggressive defense, which would obviously produce more turnovers. However, I am still concerned that his defense will get beat.

The reason I looked this up is because I've been worried about his ability to run a defense. I still am worried, but I do feel a little bit better after reading that. Gregg Williams was a genius, and I hope some of that rubbed off onto Blache.

You all are fooling yourselves if you think there is a Defense out there that doesn't want to make turnovers.

I think everyone wants them, but some coaches teach more techniques and make it a priority to get the ball. Just like our Red Zone Offense last year, we wanted TDs, but did they didn't put in the emphasis during practice and it didn't pan out during the game.

You only get so much time to coach the players, but I think Williams did make turnovers more of a priority last year after 2006 was so bad. He had them swarming to the ball more than usual and was having the DBs do catching drills. They did a better job, but still not enough.

Then so did every other defense they faced in 07-08 minus the Giants and maybe the Ravens and Philly.

We gave up the second most points to them (the injury-riddled Bills were first)...

Of their 18 wins, 14 times they were held under 38 points, 5 times under 30. Even at 38, that is 2 less touchdowns a game given up.

We gave up the second most points to them (the injury-riddled Bills were first)...

Of their 18 wins, 14 times they were held under 38 points, 5 times under 30. Even at 38, that is 2 less touchdowns a game given up.

Ok, then I'm resorting to saying that they video taped our practices. :cool:

I notice wikipedia left out the other 3 years as far as defensive rankings. Considering his defences ranked in the bottom 3rd those years, I can see why. And when you look at the number of INT's he got in those years (which were low), along with that fact that all forced fumbles are not recovered, you have some very misleading stats.

Gregg Williams showed against New England that he was no genius. IMO

I'm excited to see Blache as our Defensive Coordinator.

Every defensive coordinator has bad days. You can't point to just one game. I could say he's a genious because Sean Taylor could have had 6 interceptions against Green Bay last year, but I know that's not the big picture.

Every defensive coordinator has bad days. You can't point to just one game. I could say he's a genious because Sean Taylor could have had 6 interceptions against Green Bay last year, but I know that's not the big picture.

I absolutely agree with you. I'm just refuting the fact that the OP called him a "genius".

Yeah, but with the Belicheat scandal, how do we know they didn't learn Williams' signals (probably not likely, but it isn't out of the question)?

Then how do we know he didn't learn the other teams' signals who played them much better on defense :whoknows:

Well what makes us think Blache will perform one way or another for us?

Plus:

• He's been a defensive coordinator before, and he has a decent understanding of how the job is done
  • He had one phenomenal year, so he must have some idea how to do it right
  • He's been studying under a coordinator that at least some of us thought was great
  • He got a lot of turnovers
  • The players love him and respect him
  • He's got a great group of players

Minus:

• He had several mediocre (at best) years
  • He may get burned being so agressive

Archived