Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WCP: Six Months of Six Flagging

Horatio

I went to Magic Mountain in LA back in 2004 (b/f Danny took over). Six Flags Magic Mt. has the worlds best collection of roller coasters on any one lot. However, it was a Saturday in April and litterly half of the rides were closed. At first I figured it was b/c of malfunction. However, throughout the day, certain rides would open and close for no apparent reason. The lines for the roller coasters were an average of one hour. No exageration! Granted, it was a Saturday, but if everyhting had been open the lines would have been reasonable.

The only thing I could conclude at the end of the day was that the rides were closed purely to save $ on labor and opperational costs. Six Flags is not worth the $40 of addmission nor the $20 or so we paid to park.

King's Dominion was run much better than that place the last time I attended about ten years ago.

I agree with u 1000%!! We went and we were waiting in a line for a ride for about 20 minutes, then people just started walking out. We asked them what happened, all of a sudden they said the ride was closed. On top of that charging nearly $20 for one meal. Ur better off going somewhere else.

Not to hijack the thread or bash Danny (because I doubt he has much to do with this particular ad)...

The wife and I were talking and we wondered if some Asian Americans mght find the new "Six Flags! More Fun!" TV ad to be vaguely racist... The seeming use of "engrish" in the motto seems to us to be in pretty poor taste.

Being WASPs, I don't think it's up to us to comment on how Asian Americans might feel about it. :whoknows:

Anyone care to comment?

Ha Ha I was thinking the same when I saw this stupid add. It's not amusing and it's done in poor taste.

interesting article and discussion, probably best for here.

I've said before, if I were in charge of this business, it would be easy to turn around. Unlike the Redskins where people will come regardless of how good the team is, an amusement park is a place you need to attract people to. To do so, it's about bonding yourself with the community and surrounding area.

First, you make parking free. The parking lot is paved and paid for long ago. You make it possible for kids to get out of school and hop over to your theme park where they can park for nothing at 5 p.m. and spend the evening riding rides and spending money on food and games.

You generate discount cards for EVERY school child within the county your park resides. You say any child of any school can come in for quarter price on the week days and half price on the weekends and each gets three days free, per season, weekday or weekend.

You get them, with their moms and dads and friends to show up. Money is made by generating traffic. There are a million ways to improve attendance up 20 percent in very short order, which, over time, will make great money. But, I don't run a business of this sort, so, I don't get to implement such ideas.

I made a small play in this stock, just because Snyder seems to make money, so I thought it would work. The assets were big as well.

They seemed to be on the right track. They signed an agreement to have the Wiggles as a ride. They have Tony Hawk theme rides. I thought with recession, there would be more families choosing lower cost vacations, like Six Flags.

Gas prices may be the straw that breaks six flags back. They did just restructure some debt, so they won't default just yet, but if June numbers look bad, I am outta here quick before they declare bankruptcy.

Gas prices may be the straw that breaks six flags back. They did just restructure some debt, so they won't default just yet, but if June numbers look bad, I am outta here quick before they declare bankruptcy.
I think it might be gas prices that ultimately helps Six Flags. For those in much of Maryland, i.e. north of the D.C. Metro area, Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens are a haul, even if they are MUCH better parks. Then you've got Hershey Park, but that's pretty much the same kind of drive - just in the opposite direction. For a lot of folks, the drive is nice and easy to Six Flags - especially easy on the gas ($$$) and mileage put on our cars.

Too bad the place is just plain run-down half the time...

I can't even count how many factual errors were apparently in that "article." What a piece of crap. Especially when the truth about Six Flags is harrowing enough. No need to make up garbage about Six Flags charging a car $30 to park in MA. $10+ is plenty to get the hackles raised. Just like Michael Moore, this guy shoots himself in the foot by believing that even the horrible truth needs some extra sauce.

Six Flags was doomed long before Snyder took it over. Their fate was sealed a bit over a decade ago, when a little company called Premier Parks decided to embark on a wildly leveraged spending spree, buy up a couple dozen parks, madly rebrand them and bury themselves in a mile-deep debt hole. After all, the Internet business revolution surely would apply to hopeless ventures in real estate and amusement, right? :doh:

Premier Parks (now renamed Six Flags) is just reaping what they sowed,: a plane crash, with Danny and company pulling back madly on the yoke to avoid the ground. Maybe they'll pull it out -- in which case there will be some mad money for the taking.

But I can easily see Six Flags reverting back to what they were in more sane times: A 14-16 park chain, including 8-9 amusement parks and 6-7 water parks. Plus Dubai, for now.

I went to Magic Mountain in LA back in 2004 (b/f Danny took over). Six Flags Magic Mt. has the worlds best collection of roller coasters on any one lot.

No.

See: Cedar Point, Six Flags Great Adventure.

However, it was a Saturday in April and litterly half of the rides were closed. At first I figured it was b/c of malfunction. However, throughout the day, certain rides would open and close for no apparent reason.

And that's a big part of the reason for the no.

That is one of the biggest problems he faces--competition from heavyweights.

You honestly can't expect him to be very successful in a business in which he has no experience in.

The effort is there....and he has bought himself a little time, but the fundamentals aren't sound

This honestly sounds like you are describing Snyder's stewardship of the Redskins.

Archived