Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Take a look back at what people thought of Jason Campbell

JMUGator19

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/65730.html

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospects/jason_campbell.html

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/26658/160

Here are three seperate articles on Jason Campbell as a draft prospect in 2005 before he was drafted. Notice how extremely different they all are on judging his skills and attributes.

However, they all got 3 things in common:

1 Live arm.

2 Pocket Prescence (I lump that with staying cool and looking deep instead of watching the DLman.)

3 Leadership Qualities.

Also if you go back to listen to what Joe Gibbs and Joe Bugel said about him after he was drafted and when Jason was starting they say the following things:

1 Accurate Downfield

2 Pocket Prescence

3 Looks off defenders

The articles say:

1 KFFL - quick release/set up, mobile, makes all the throws, pocket prescence, leader, bad deep accuracy, bad reads, bad short accuracy, bad footwork

2 FootballsFuture - good size arm and leader, cant carry a team, amazing upside as a 4th round pick

3 SI - athletic, good in the pocket, good vision/awareness, looks off defenders, good sense of timing, perfect for WCO, bad deep ball, bad throwing on the move

So let me get this straight... He was bad at throwing deep in college, and then got good with Joe Gibbs, but he was good in throwing short and bad with Joe Gibbs?

Who knows, maybe he changed, but I doubt people get better at throwing deep... Dont forget his best WR in college was Courtney Taylor, his other main targets were RBs. (you know who)

Just interesting to go back and see what people used to think he was good at and what they think hes good at right now.

thoughts?

:logo:

Who knows, maybe he changed, but I doubt people get better at throwing deep... Dont forget his best WR in college was Courtney Brown, his other main targets were RBs. (you know who)[/Quote]

I know Ronnie Brown and I know Courtney Taylor (now playing for Seattle) but who the heck is Courtney Brown. :D

BTW Jason's short accuracy, 10 to 20 yards, was good at Auburn because the receivers were getting wide open and the line was giving him time to throw.

I think all of it's true in it's own way

I've seen campbell be super accurate throwing deep,in the giants game @fedex there was a deep ball were santana moss was perfectly DOUBLE covered,and jason put the ball in the only spot were santana could make the grab and he got it.

and in the miami game week 1,jason was throwing really nice deep balls to randle el.

throwing deep to short WR's is tricky buisness,they don't really have the height to go up and fight for the ball so they generally need to be wide open. with guys like malcom kelly and devin thomas,they're gonna be big enough and physical enough to body people out.were as DB's could body out moss and ARE...

We know jason can throw the ball and be extremely accurate,it's just a matter of consistency though.and he's not very consistent

Campbell does not have very good deep accuracy. I remember Gibbs saying that but he just misses long too much.

SI looks like they got it closest.

in 2004 with Auburn he had an average of 10 YPA and nearly 70% completion percentage, explain how that is possible. was he throwing to ronnie brown deep every play?

The thing I feel JC needs to do is hit recievers in stride on short passes, everytime the WR has to stop catch and go again. I really think this is why Collins looked so much better last year. Does anyone else notice this or is just me?

Football Futures "Amazing upside for a 4th round pick."

That is the painful one.

Fourth round? He has done well for a 4th rounder, about what one would expect.

1st rounder? Smart, or total lunacy?

While it is too early to say, if JC never pans out, history will look back at this as a weak FO move to have taken him so early, and to have moved up so much.

The thing I feel JC needs to do is hit recievers in stride on short passes, everytime the WR has to stop catch and go again. I really think this is why Collins looked so much better last year. Does anyone else notice this or is just me?

I agree 100%. Period.

:logo:

in 2004 with Auburn he had an average of 10 YPA and nearly 70% completion percentage, explain how that is possible. was he throwing to ronnie brown deep every play?

This isn't 2004, and this isn't Auburn. There are many games you can go back and watch where Campbell has overthrown somebody who is wide open deep.

He just isn't all that accurate or consistant. Hopefully Zorn can help him out.

I think all of it's true in it's own way

I've seen campbell be super accurate throwing deep,in the giants game @fedex there was a deep ball were santana moss was perfectly DOUBLE covered,and jason put the ball in the only spot were santana could make the grab and he got it.

and in the miami game week 1,jason was throwing really nice deep balls to randle el.

throwing deep to short WR's is tricky buisness,they don't really have the height to go up and fight for the ball so they generally need to be wide open. with guys like malcom kelly and devin thomas,they're gonna be big enough and physical enough to body people out.were as DB's could body out moss and ARE...

We know jason can throw the ball and be extremely accurate,it's just a matter of consistency though.and he's not very consistent

The deep ball he threw to Santana in the Green Bay game that hit him in the facemask was an accurate throw. He also had that throw deep to llyod that they just missed hooking up on same Green Bay game that would have won it for us. I think im gonna go ahead and lean more towards Lloyd making an error and having the ball skim off his fingertips rather than Campbell not making an accurate throw.

As to looking back, i really didnt like the pick at all back when we drafted him. I didnt give Campbell a chance at all and wrote him off as only being good because of the two running backs he had playing with him drawing extra defenders into the box. Campbell has won me over though. He is making steady improvements (really needs to work on 4th quarter game on the line drives and staying relaxed which comes with xp) and how can you not love his work ethic? I hope he can stay injury free this year and takes that next step. Well, i guess we are all hoping that :logo:

*edit* I do also think that last year Campbell was missing Moss because Moss was hurt most of the year and didnt have that last gear. Normally the QB can just hang it up in the air and Moss will get under it but that wasnt the case for most of last year. I think this year will yield much better results.

For those of you who are curious what people thought before Zorn showed up...

is the 2007 season. What the media said, what Joe Bugel said, what Joe Gibbs said.

Still don't think people keep changing their minds about what hes good and bad at? The only thing hes consistantly shown is everyone, EVERYONE thinks hes a leader, from coaches to players.

Optimists: I love Joe Gibbs for leaving us with a franchise quarterback for the future!

Pessimists: Gibbs has destroyed this team for the next three years, by forcing players into situations that were never going to work out. Ala Portis as a power running back, or JC as a starting qb. If JC busts, we have to use our 1st next year on a qb, and our lines and cbs will be in trouble.

Truth: Probably somewhere in between.

Simple, intelligent, but won't be used solution if JC does bust?

Trade a star player where we have a good backup, in an effort to get a real qb. Trade Portis at the end of the season if JC busts.

Unfortunately our FO may not possess that kind of intelligence just yet. They are still learning.

Optimists:Simple, intelligent, but won't be used solution if JC does bust?

Trade a star player where we have a good backup, in an effort to get a real qb. Trade Portis at the end of the season if JC busts.

Good Lord, McD5 really can turn any thread into a "trade Portis and play Betts" thread.

Also if you go back to listen to what Joe Gibbs and Joe Bugel said about him after he was drafted and when Jason was starting they say the following things:

1 Accurate Downfield

2 Pocket Prescence

3 Looks off defenders

He has 2 and 3, but I have yet to see 1.

Football Futures "Amazing upside for a 4th round pick."

That is the painful one.

Fourth round? He has done well for a 4th rounder, about what one would expect.

1st rounder? Smart, or total lunacy?

While it is too early to say, if JC never pans out, history will look back at this as a weak FO move to have taken him so early, and to have moved up so much.

I was about to mention this. The other two mention him as a second rounder at best while saying, "Campbell is ranked either in the No. 3 or No. 4 slot by most teams." Was he worth the first and third the Skins gave up? Hell no.

Campbell does not have good deep ball accuracy, he doesnt even have good short accuracy. Your first source had it right. If he cant improve his accuracy, he will be a career backup.

Campbell's deep ball accuracy was excellent in 2006, but it regressed notably in 2007. It was the most troubling part of his overall development as a QB for me. He's an excellent mid range passer, and is very accurate on 15-yard crossing routes, for example, as you saw with the Cooley game-winning TD vs. Carolina on the play he called in the huddle.

I was about to mention this. The other two mention him as a second rounder at best while saying, "Campbell is ranked either in the No. 3 or No. 4 slot by most teams." Was he worth the first and third the Skins gave up? Hell no.

If he is our franchise QB, then givign up what he did won't matter

Tom Brady was a UDFA for a lot of teams. What does this prove? That the Pats overpaid, or that projecting QB's who aren't obvious uberstuds, like Peyton Manning, is a very difficult proposition?

Draft thoughts on Campbell are now outdated. Campbell's no longer the 24th overall pick of the 2005 draft, he's a guy who we've seen start for about a year and a half. Believe your own eyes, not what scouts and "draft experts" told you three years ago.

Tom Brady was a UDFA for a lot of teams. What does this prove? That the Pats overpaid, or that projecting QB's who aren't obvious uberstuds, like Peyton Manning, is a very difficult proposition?

Draft thoughts on Campbell are now outdated. Campbell's no longer the 24th overall pick of the 2005 draft, he's a guy who we've seen start for about a year and a half. Believe your own eyes, not what scouts and "draft experts" told you three years ago.

Don't ask me to believe with my eyes, as I became a Campbell skeptic when he cried like a baby after the Dallas game and did the same damn thing that made him cry the very next week. I also saw how much better the team became when the lifetime backup stepped in. Oh, everyone else must have magically gotten better. My mistake.

If the Skins had to have Campbell, I wish they'd done it without two high picks, so we might have been able to grab other talent along with Campbell.

Don't ask me to believe with my eyes, as I became a Campbell skeptic when he cried like a baby after the Dallas game and did the same damn thing that made him cry the very next week. I also saw how much better the team became when the lifetime backup stepped in. Oh, everyone else must have magically gotten better. My mistake.

If the Skins had to have Campbell, I wish they'd done it without two high picks, so we might have been able to grab other talent along with Campbell.

I guess we can see that your patience is matched only by the insight you have in the development of QB's. I'll be sure to bookmark the search page for your posts.

I guess we can see that your patience is matched only by the insight you have in the development of QB's. I'll be sure to bookmark the search page for your posts.

Oh, which team do you work for? Pardon me if I dislike it when people who say they'll work on something and then screw up the exact same way, right away.

The reason collins looked so much better at hitting recievers in stride than JC is because he had 5+ more years experience with the 700-page playbook.

This year us going to a WCO should favor JC.

He got that experience on the bench. I couldn't help but notice those draft reports mentioned that JC would need time on the bench to get used to the NFL. Obviously he should have simmered a bit longer.

Archived