Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking back... Heyer's ratings 2007 draft

Monk in the Hall!

Given all the ratings I have read today, thought I would go back and see how one of our success stories, Heyer was rated last year for 07 draft. Gives hope that guys can overcome (at least, a bit) their downside

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2007/players/6987.html

Stephon Heyer

T, Maryland

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is tall with long arms. With a short set in pass protection, gets hands on defensive ends in a flash. Shows the quickness to slide outside and cut off speed rushers. Has the size and strength to seal defensive ends inside. Gets off the snap quickly to reach linebackers.

Weaknesses: Sometimes looks stiff. Doesn't consistently keep feet moving on run blocks; often bending at waist, leaning and overextending. Isn't aggressive, and struggles to move piles. Tends to pass block straight-legged and upright, a big problem against bull rushers. Doesn't consistently shuffle feet long enough in pass protection; often ends up chasing pass rushers around the corner. Rarely uses hand punch to stymie pass rushers. Is inconsistent.

Bottom line: Heyer is a great athlete but lacks aggressiveness. To reach his potential, he must learn to bend his knees and more consistently block with leverage. Heyer's frame and skills will get him drafted, but without improved footwork and technique, he projects as a third-string tackle who will struggle to stick around.

its funny how people grade drafts the day after....dosent it take years to really grade the draft? Some 4th rounder this year will probably end up in the Hall of Fame one day

Whats funny is that people take these 'scouts' opinion as if its God's word. They refuse to give possibility to the scouts being wrong or even more, our scouts being better talent evaluators than some guy working for a magazine or a TV station, let alone so many of us couch potato coaches.

Maybe the scouting report was true but Heyer worked hard to overcome his weaknessess with help from Buges.

Thats why i don't like some scout reports cause of the things they say in the positives contradicts what they say in the negatives or vice versa. They like writing people off.

Based on what we saw last season, this scout was completely wrong about him being a back up's back up.

The scout probably wasn't counting on Heyer coming to Washington and learning from Bugel. I think as long as the guy we draft has the physical attributes (which apparently Rinehart does) then Bugel can make up for the rest. He's just that good.

Based on what we saw last season, this scout was completely wrong about him being a back up's back up.

No. Actually they were right on, but we're or WERE too dumb of an organization to have quality backups. Heyer played way beyond his true level. When you have Fabini and Todd Wade starting on your O-line, a guy like Heyer will easily look as good or better than them. You don't expect as much with regard to performance out of an URFA or 7th rounder or whatever Heyer was.

I love Heyer and think that he's got potential to be a starter as early as this year, but he can't run block to save his life and he makes some bad mistakes from time to time. I've seen his mistakes cause potential explosive plays to be defused, and I've seen him whiff and as a result the qb to got rocked and the ball to come out. We call that the Fabini-syndrome :doh: I'm still pissed that we kept him on the roster :rolleyes: . Heyer can certainly keep improving especially with Buges as his coach. He'll likely give Jansen a run for his money for the starting job if he can improve in some of those areas that even the scout in this article mentions. I just think that he's not as good as we think he is...yet. He was no doubt a great pickup, but only time will tell if he builds up that awkward frame and gets better with his technique and run blocking ability. :2cents:

its funny how people grade drafts the day after....dosent it take years to really grade the draft? Some 4th rounder this year will probably end up in the Hall of Fame one day

Actually, that's a stat that I'd really like to see. Maybe some time during the Hall of Fame game, or something.

Out of all the players in the HoF, what percentage weren't drafted in the first round?

I'd bet it's at least 2/3. Maybe 80%. (Maybe 90%. The draft used to be a lot longer, and a lot less exact.)

The scout probably wasn't counting on Heyer coming to Washington and learning from Bugel. I think as long as the guy we draft has the physical attributes (which apparently Rinehart does) then Bugel can make up for the rest. He's just that good.

I agree with you, which is why I advocate taking skilled guys with raw talent late in the draft because good coaches can turn guys into stars if they have the talent. You can make an overachieving guy into a star. The scout made sure to say Heyer was talented, but blah blah blah. If the talent is there, good coaching can make a guy into a good player.

Archived