Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Redskins draft wishlist

SkinsGuru

Your thoughts on these guys? I've made a very abbreviated list of strengths and weaknesses for those who may not have heard of some of these players.

rd 1. Brandon Albert, G/T Virginia

(highly touted - abilities already well-documented)

rd 2. Tracy Porter, CB Indiana (needs to get tougher, stronger.. he's arguably the best man-coverage CB in the draft.. awesome athleticism, agility, and hands.. good size.. good production - 6 INTs last season)

rd 3. James Hardy, WR Indiana

(not the most explosive or agile.. great size.. good hands.. can jump.. decent speed, especially for size.. no major weakness and tons of potential.. good production.. - 16 TDs last season)

rd 3. Shawn Crable, LB Michigan

(needs to react quicker and work on consistancy.. huge, quick, fast, agile, strong.. great pass-rusher.. steadily improved throughout college)

rd 5. Brian Johnston, DE Gardner Webb

(great physical tools, size, motor.. good production.. depth guy that has the tools to become a good starter, versatile, can play DE, DT, OLB)

rd 6. Quintin Demps, S UTEP

(intelligent.. great instincts.. great production.. team leader)

rd 7. Dennis Dixon, QB Oregon

(calm, smooth fluent, though very raw with his mechanics.. tons of athletism and upside.. versatile.. project with both a low floor and high ceiling.. completed 67.7% of his passes senior year with 20 TDs to 4 INTs)

rd 7. Lance Leggett, WR Miami

(inconsistent with some durability issues.. great natural athlete.. good height and speed.. great potential, nothing to lose as a late-rounder)

rd 7. Danny Woodhead, RB Chadron St.

(wasn't tested vs. top competition and not very big.. but tough, hardnosed, with good hands and instincts.. very fast)

I think the first four gentlemen are top-notch talents with skill-sets that uniquely address our particular needs and weaknesses. Research and tape on these guys is readily available so I won't comment too much. And yeah, I know Albert falling to 21 is wishful thinking at this point, but this is a wishlist after all :D.

My 5th round choice (if he isn't selected by then) offers great value and depth for a 5th rounder in what is another need area.

Doughty came along well near the end of the season, so there's no need to spend a high draft choice on a Safety. Though I'm beginning to question whether Demps will fall this far, he is still projected as a late-rounder and would not disappoint IMO.

It may be a stretch to expect Dixon to fall to round 7, but he won't go earlier than the 5th, and some have him not being draft all together (though I don't quite buy that). I'm not overly enamored by any of the late-round QB prospects. This would be the only one worth spending a draft choice on IMO.

Leggett could be anything from training camp fodder, to a Marques Colston-like sleeper. He has the prototypical WCO size and frame, yet has the jets to be a deep threat.

RB isn't a particular area of concern for us, but Woodhead is a guy with first-day quickness and production... more than worth it in the 7th round if he can produce a third of what he did in the college ranks.

Overall the early and middle rounds should be approached with a combination of the 'need' and 'best player available' strategies. In the later rounds, I like looking for either great athletes (that weren't exceedingly productive) or great producers (that aren't super athletes) with no glaring problems (repeated major injuries, constant run-ins with the law, extraordinary laziness, etc.), though they'll always have some flaws or they wouldn't be late-rounders. It's more about potential and upside at the end of the draft of course, that's not where you look to plug major holes... hence the RB.

Feel free to comment, lambaste, chide, etc.

I agree with the 1st three picks, then I would take a DE or DT before LB. Other than that, I'd be happy with your list.

The two lines are where the magic happens, so I agree that's always priority - especially for us right now. I just think there's a major drop-off in talent after the first round as far as d-linemen are concerned. Crable - barring any of the top d-linemen unexpectedly sliding - is a monster in another need area and offers better value for the pick IMO.

But all things being equal, as a general rule, I'm with you... lines first.

LOVE IT!! if we could get this scenerio I would be super happy come next weekend...its a HUGE stretch considering Albert is now a top ten pick and I have seen tons of mocks with Hardy going in the first or worst case going early 2nd to Baltimore

FANTASTIC!

It's a bit surreal because I don't think a few of those players will be available at those picks, but I love your picks in rounds 2-6.

If Albert is off the board in round one and Hardy off the board in round 3, who would you replace them with?

I really like the Crable, Porter, and Demps picks. Crable had 28 some tackles for loss LAST YEAR. Porter is a two-inch shorter version of DRC. Elite cover corner. Playmaker. Demps has the build of a corner, but also has the speed of a corner. I think he'd fit well in a rotation with Reed.

If you buy Kiper and McShay's draft boards, your first three picks isn't going to happen -- Albert gone way before 21. Hardy is likely gone early 2nd as Porter might be but you never know.

I'd love to see Albert drop all the way down to 21 and in particular Hardy surprisingly drop out of the 2nd round but am guessing that ain't going to happen.

I think Demps goes before the 6th round. But I do agree that wouldn't it be nice if it all happens this way, nice mix of players.

I like your picks, particularly Johnston and Demps in the 5th and 6th rounds, respectively. Although Hardy hasn't been mentioned much here, I think he'd be a very good 2nd round pick for us.

It doesn't look like Albert will be there at #21, so I'd take your draft, minus Albert, trade down for a another 2nd round pick and a third 3rd round pick (if possible).

Then, I'd take Dre Moore, DT Maryland in the 2nd round and Mike McGlynn, G Pitt in the 3rd round.

Albert is now a top 10 pick. Kiper has him going as high as #5 overall, and several mocks have him going #7 to NE. Even if he slips, he won't get past the mid teens. No offense but at this point its silly to mock him at #21.

Hardy is projected as an early 2nd rounder. I haven't seen a mock where he slips past the top half of the 2nd round. No way does he fall from the 30's to #84 overall. He won't even get out of the 2nd round, much less make it to the bottom part of the 3rd.

Brian Johnston's stock is rising after his huge workout day. He's currently mocked as a 4th rounder per http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/draft_value_board.htm. I could see him going as high as the 3rd. Maybe he drops a little b/c he went to a small school, but you can't assume he will drop to the bottom of the 5th.

You have to be realistic when making a mock. I like the picks (especially Porter in the 2nd), but we'll never see most of them.

Absolutely love the first three picks. But with no backup at all for Rabach at Center, I'd like to see a true Center like Mike Pollak of Arizona State, Steve Justice of Wake Forest or John Sullivan of ND or a Guard/Center combo picked up in the third round. All three are 6'3 1/2" and 300 pounds and are expected to be there in the third round. The cost would not be too high coming in the 3rd round and any of these 3 could be expected to start in the next 2 years, or sooner if injury hits or if they win the job outright. With Pucillo gone, we currently have no one at backup for Rabach and you need someone in the pipeline.

With any of these 3 we are not only acquiring depth, but we're drafting potential starters. Getting anyone in later rounds reduces their potential to that of a 'project'.

I`ll take Antwaun Molden over Porter anyday..

Hardy will be looooong gone by the time the Redskins pick in round 3.

Crable is a "Tweener" DE/OLB more suited for a 3-4 defense in the NFL.

Johnston has ENDLESS upside. Would love that pick in the 5th.

Dixon = Poor mans Quincy Carter. 195lbs with injury concerns already.. No thanks.

Archived