Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Times: Redskins Are the New Adventure for Zorn

SkinsMaster88

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/sports/football/03redskins.html?em&ex=1207368000&en=445595689dbcc5f2&ei=5087%0A

Redskins Are the New Adventure for Zorn

By GREG BISHOP

ASHBURN, Va. — Inside an office the size of a large bedroom, opposite the giant flat-screen television, behind the oak desk and next to the unpacked boxes, Jim Zorn sat in a leather chair. Two laptops hummed behind him.

This was home now. Zorn was busy. There were minicamps to schedule, a house to buy, coaches to familiarize with schemes, players to meet and draft and, of course, boxes to unpack.

“Welcome,” he said, voice booming, arms spread wide. “Welcome to the house that Joe built.”

Joe is Joe Gibbs, the Washington Redskins’ previous coach and most identifiable figure, the one with the bust in the Hall of Fame. Zorn is his successor, hired first in late January as the offensive coordinator and promoted two weeks later to head coach.

What a ride the last few months had been. Zorn left his post as the Seattle Seahawks’ quarterbacks coach and moved to the other Washington for the one of the shortest offensive-coordinator gigs in league history.

“You couldn’t have written this thing,” he said. “All the guys that interviewed didn’t get the job, and I got hired twice.”

Zorn, 54, inherited a playoff team and a healthy dose of skepticism. Quarterbacks coach to head coach is a sizable and unusual jump.

The obvious question for Zorn — can you believe it? — comes up daily. The short answer: absolutely. Zorn spent the last 33 years in football, first as a left-handed quarterback with an ’80s flattop for the expansion Seahawks, later as an assistant with three college and two N.F.L. teams.

The more pertinent question: Does anybody else believe? Zorn estimated only a handful of people did so far.

“I’m hoping that spreads,” Zorn said. “If I wasn’t ready for this, I would never be ready. And so the thing that everybody had to get over was it coming out of left field. Like, ‘Oh, my gosh. What?’ ”

...Rest at link

Archived