Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LEWIS CALLS STINKO’S BLUFF as per PFT

rwn

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, generally adopting an uncharacteristic tone of defiance in remarks from the league meetings in Palm Beach, has a message for receiver Chad Johnson a/k/a Ocho Stinko.

Play for us, or play for no one.

“We’ve been dealing with this inside for over a year and we’ll be prepared to move on,” Lewis said. “He has a contract through 2011. If he plays NFL football it will be in Cincinnati, or he has to do what he says and that’s retire. That would be a shame.”

Wow. But, wait. There’s more.

“A lot of people who really had an affection for him fan wise and people around the league see him in a different light and that’s unfortunate. Some of the things he’s gone on record and said one way or the other he’s going to have to deal with them one way or the other. . . . He’s said he’s probably going to sit out. I think you’ve got to own up and do it. . . . The Cincinnati Bengals hold the cards through the 2011 season.”

Actually, the Bengals hold the cards even longer, if Johnson holds out beyond the tenth week of the 2008 season. At that point, his contract would automatically be extended to 2012.

Marvin Lewis is doing his best to look as if he has control. Chad Johnson has the leverage. The Bengals will undoubtedly look to trade him if he refuses to play. If not, they would have a huge hole in their offense and have nothing to show for it... for what? to prove a point?

Johnson has little leverage imo. He is old, has a long term contract and is a cancer loudmouth. It looks like teams don't value him highly and probably would not meet his contract demands anyways (unless he wants to keep his current deal). The bengals probably take a big cap hit trading him and then end up with a 3rd or 4th rounder. I think the bengals should prove a point and force him to play or ruin his career. They need his talent to make their offense awesome again, and if he doesn't come back they have two good WRs to step up.

Johnson has little leverage imo. He is old, has a long term contract and is a cancer loudmouth. It looks like teams don't value him highly and probably would not meet his contract demands anyways (unless he wants to keep his current deal). The bengals probably take a big cap hit trading him and then end up with a 3rd or 4th rounder. I think the bengals should prove a point and force him to play or ruin his career. They need his talent to make their offense awesome again, and if he doesn't come back they have two good WRs to step up.

He's not older than Randy Moss. He's not older than Terrell Owens when he forced his way out of Philly.

Teams do value him but it doesn't matter. The Bengals don't want to take the cap hit to trade him which would be 8 million. If they do trade him they would get more than what you've proposed.

Marvin Lewis is a good coach but going out to the media and saying that Chad Johnson will play in Cincinnati or don't play anywhere is not his call to make unless the ownership backs that up. If a Team came to them and offered them a deal that benefits both parties they would have to look at that. To have a unhappy employee or player in your organization is not a good thing to have. There must be something wrong in Cincinnati for a player to say he wants out. If you have followed this thing since it came to light and you really listen to what Chad Johnson has said then you would know there is something wrong. He hasn't pointed fingers at the ownership or anyone else on the team including Marvin Lewis. He could be just like TO and bash the QB, the Head Coach, and everyone else just to get out of town but Chad hasn't done that. He has said that it is time to move on and that he just wants to win. he wants an opportunity to play in the playoffs, with a contender, and the opportunity to play for a Super Bowl Championship. Now what is wrong with that? He has also felt that he can't do that in Cincinnati. But not once does he bash anyone associated with the Bengals. So why does he get this moniker of Ocho Stinko? Because of uneducated, media influenced fans that will believe anything that is told to him because the Team or the Coach is always right. Take for example what happened in Philly with TO. Isn't very possible that Andy Reid and the ownership there could be at fault or just as much to blame for that blow up. Don't get me wrong, I am no TO fan and I think that TO was the problem, but the point I am trying to make is that there are two sides of a story. IMO, the Bengals and Marvin Lewis are not innocent players in this situation. We as fans do not know the entire story and what has happened behind the scenes in Cincinnati. And don't take the word of one former Bengal DE to collaborate a story about a fight when no other former or current Bengal player backs it up. If your team traded for Chad Johnson and he performed well enough to take you to the Super Bowl you would be changing your tune about him.

Marvin is not a very good HC. While I do see why it's important for him to look like he's in control, I really think he's better off finding a way to deal him for fair compensation. I really don't see Marvin being Cinci's HC after this year unless they make the playoffs. I really don't see them doing so.

Actually, the Bengals hold the cards even longer, if Johnson holds out beyond the tenth week of the 2008 season. At that point, his contract would automatically be extended to 2012.

LOL owned.

LOL owned.

That part is why i feel johnson has no leverage. They can't afford to trade him, they have him by the balls as far as getting to be a FA, and randy moss who was 30 when he was a raider (same age as johnson) was had for a 4th rounder. Lewis won't trade a top ten WR for a fourth. I think marvin lewis should tell him to play and shut his mouth, otherwise he will put him as inactive (ala TO) and let him rot. I think johnson has vastly misjudged his predicament. The more he becomes a cancer, the more likely he could leave but also the more less likely anyone would trade anything of value for him. It will also hurt his possible contract with any team interested.

The thing is, it's easy to say let him rot, but all it takes is Chad to crank up his antics for ESPN highlights and he will become a major distraction. Just like TO. I really don't see Chad playing with Cinci like Lance Briggs did with Chicago.

Chuck Ludwig of the Dayton Daily News believes Chad Johnson will be traded on or before draft day.

In an opinion blog piece, Ludwig writes that he doesn't know how Chad could possibly be welcomed back in the locker room after demanding trades all offseason. Coach Marvin Lewis has recommended Chad treat the situation like Kobe Bryant did; put it all behind him and just come out and dominate.

Source: Dayton Daily News

Johnson has little leverage imo. He is old, has a long term contract and is a cancer loudmouth. It looks like teams don't value him highly and probably would not meet his contract demands anyways (unless he wants to keep his current deal).

Teams don't value him highly? Are you serious? Teams are just waiting for the Bengals to get fed up and get rid of him at a lower price. The offseason is long, and the Bengals aren't going to keep Chad Johnson.

Marvin Lewis has no control over his team. That is why so many of his players are getting in trouble and are speaking out. Chad Johnson isn't the only one on that team that's not happy. Even Carson Palmer has spoken out, while there has been plenty of talk about Housh being upset as well.

If i were Chad Id do all the mini camps all the Offseason workouts and then be like I appreciate all youve done for me as an organazation but this isnt gonna work and if you dont trade me im willing to sit out the yr. Insteas of doing what hes doing, its a messy situation.

Archived