Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: French Owned

NavyDave

Well I suppose I could understand the rationale for supporting BP for what little they invest in alternative energy, but to say that you buy from them because they don't import as much oil from the Middle East as other oil companies, well, it's just not that simple.

For instance, BP imported the following quantities of oil in one month last year.

Iraq: 470,000 barrels

Kuwait: 415,000 barrels

Saudi Arabia: 2,123,000 barrels

Algeria: 3,853,000 barrels

In fact, oil companies sell their output through a variety of outlets other than their branded stations; as well, by the time crude oil gets from the ground into our gasoline tanks, there's no telling exactly where it came from. (A good deal of the crude oil purchased from Russia, for example, is oil from Iraqi fields sold through Russian middlemen.)

According to the DOE, I think Sinclair, Sunoco and Hess are about the only 3 companies who import no Middle Eastern oil.

The ratio of OPEC to non-OPEC oil at one time was once fractional. Slowly over the 80's, 90's, and into the 21st century, the percentage of OPEC oil has risen consistantly. OPEC oil is about to or is now accounting for more than 50% of all oil. This is the first time in history this has happened. And as you all know, it's not a very good strategy to rely on the Middle East for anything other than instability.

Neither have I. The wreck was a disaster, but their actions afterward were horrible.

Those actual number Kurp represent 4 percent (updated data) of the total oil BP imports according to this-http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/summary2002.html

So while those numbers look high, when represented as a percentage it's small.

TDH,

What you are really saying in this thread by calling for Kissinger is that you think Powell is doing a poor job. Afterall, isn't it Powell who is the administration's salesman? Bush is the President. Kissinger was never the President. So, you are really making an attack on Powell. Why not just say so?

Originally posted by MikeB

I have a suggestion for Storm and the Dark Horse...

Pack your bags and go nestle in with your French buddies. There you can spin you anti-American rhetoric all you want and feel much better about yourselves in the process.

We could use a few less of you short term memory folks around anyway...

LMMFAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't use any of the disposable goods listed there. And the only durable goods I have a are a Krups coffee maker (the irony of that being French-owned is that Krups was a WWI arms manufacturer before being forever banned from that by the Versailles Treaty!) and some Michelin tires on my car.

I'm going to have to talk my wife into buying other yogurt besides Yoplait Light though . . .

"What you are really saying in this thread by calling for Kissinger is that you think Powell is doing a poor job. Afterall, isn't it Powell who is the administration's salesman? Bush is the President. Kissinger was never the President. So, you are really making an attack on Powell. Why not just say so?"

Who appointed Powell, Art?

If Powell is indeed the guy who is responsbile for the selling of our war intentions to the UN, then yes, I think Powell did a poor job selling both France and Germany. Christ, Jimmy Carter would have had them in the bag a month ago. Kissinger would have chewed them up and spit them out even sooner than that.

BTW, Strats make me want to :puke:

Guest Matt Kyriacou

An American is having breakfast one morning (coffee, croissants, bread,

butter and jam) when a Frenchman, chewing gum, sits down next to him.

The American ignores the Frenchman who, nevertheless, starts a conversation.

French man: "You American folk eat the whole bread??"

American (in a bad mood): "Of course."

French: (after blowing a huge bubble) "We don't. In France, we only eat

what's inside. The crusts we collect in a container, recycle it, transform

them into croissants and sell them to the states." The Frenchman has a smirk

on his face. The American listens in silence.

The Frenchman persists: "Do you eat jelly with the bread??"

American: "Of Course."

Frenchman: (cracking his gum between his teeth and chuckling). "We don't. In

France we eat fresh fruit for breakfast, then we put all the peels, seeds,

and leftovers in containers, recycle them, transform them into jam and sell

the jam to the states."

The American then asks: "Do you have sex in France?"

Frenchman: "Why of course we do", he says with a big smirk.

American: "And what do you do with the condoms once you've used them?"

Frenchman: "We throw them away, of course."

American: "We don't. In America, we put them in a container, recycle them,

melt them down into chewing gum and sell them to France."

Archived