Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marcus Monk's Pro Day

BALLz

I have a question, I am not familiar with Marcus Monk, but is everybody on this board a fan of how he plays or they like him b/c he is a MONK?? Either way I understand...anyone actually watch him play besides a few youtube clips???

I like Sweed but I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on him his contract will be up by the time he grasps the West coast offense. and Calais is not making it to our pick in the secon round. Unless you are talking about our Comp pick that would be a huge risk on Monk. I wouldn't be upset if we used it but its still a reach.

Uh...what are you basing this on? Which WR in the draft do you think is smart enough to "grasp" the WCO?

I would still take Sweed or Mario first simply because a KNEE is something you just never know about. Kelly is good too but, again, KNEEs.. Beleive me, I have had 3 ACL repairs and you just never know, some days will ache, some days will burn, some will be fine.. I would not EVER spend 1st 2nd or 3rd round pick on any player that has had KNEE problems. I know that some players can play through it but I also know that their longevity is questionable.

I second that. But have you noticed how these guys are beginning to close the gap with the shorter WRs in their fourty times.

I've always admired the Giants, here of late, for selecting big WRs over the shorter guys. Now that the big guys are getting faster, I think teams will be looking for them if these big WRs pan out in this league.

How Sweeeeeed it is!!

I get the feeling everone is high on Monk only for his name...granted his height helps too. It seems like everybody is looking for the tallest receiver out there who runs the fastest time. To me, Jerry Rice already proved that speed isn't everything, and Mike Williams out of USC a few years back proved that size doesn't always matter. I do like the production that Jordy Nelson has, and I can get on board that bandwagon, but when you are looking for stabs in the dark based solely on height/weight/40 time comparisons, that is what the 6th and seventh round is for. Since I don't think Monk will be there that late, I offer up Chaz Schilens from San Diego St. 6'4" 210lbs 4.36 & 4.38 40 time. It looks like he had a stress fracture in his foot at the beginning of his Senior year but really came on in the last few games when the foot was healed.

All that aside, there is a part of me that gets a little misty at the thought of seeing a Skins WR on the field again with the name Monk on the jersey! :)

---pokerhog:helmet:

Good for him, he was a stud his Jr. season in a running offense.

If we had a fourth it would be perfect, Guess we have to hope and pray he's there in the 5th cause I would be a little surprised if we picked him in the third. Jordy Nelson fits the profile of production + measurables a little better for the 3rd.

We do basically have a 4th. We are getting a COMP 3rd. which is basically the 1st pick at 4th rounders. We have a good chance of landing this guy. I hope they just seriously consider him.

I get the feeling everone is high on Monk only for his name...granted his height helps too. It seems like everybody is looking for the tallest receiver out there who runs the fastest time. To me, Jerry Rice already proved that speed isn't everything, and Mike Williams out of USC a few years back proved that size doesn't always matter. I do like the production that Jordy Nelson has, and I can get on board that bandwagon, but when you are looking for stabs in the dark based solely on height/weight/40 time comparisons, that is what the 6th and seventh round is for. Since I don't think Monk will be there that late, I offer up Chaz Schilens from San Diego St. 6'4" 210lbs 4.36 & 4.38 40 time. It looks like he had a stress fracture in his foot at the beginning of his Senior year but really came on in the last few games when the foot was healed.

All that aside, there is a part of me that gets a little misty at the thought of seeing a Skins WR on the field again with the name Monk on the jersey! :)

So you say that Monk wouldnt be a good sign because of just his lat name, and that speed and size isnt everything? but then you offer up a WR almost the exact same size, with a little faster 40? LOL Monk was a solid receiver in a run first offense. I'd rather pick him than take a shot at the 1st rounders out there.

So you say that Monk wouldnt be a good sign because of just his lat name, and that speed and size isnt everything? but then you offer up a WR almost the exact same size, with a little faster 40? LOL Monk was a solid receiver in a run first offense. I'd rather pick him than take a shot at the 1st rounders out there.

Actually, I never said Monk wouldn't be a good sign. I don't like overvaluing him for something as nonfactor as his name! If we could get him for a later pick like fifth or even sixth....fantastic! I offered up Chaz to prove a point...if all you are enamored with is numbers, then you can have far better measurables in the sixth or seventh. After Monk's good workout, he will probably go much higher now. IMO you're taking a flyer on either......

One thing I believe some of you are missing is that Monk is not just some tall fast guy that we would taking a huge risk on. He produced pretty well on a team that has two 1st round RBs and a sub-par QB.

I'm mean, compare his numbers to fellow SEC player, Andre Caldwell of Florida. Monk's number dwarf Caldwells and Caldwell is considered a 2nd round pick. Both SEC schools so the pretty much played the same competition.

Monk's numbers also compare well with Keenan Burton.

One thing I believe some of you are missing is that Monk is not just some tall fast guy that we would taking a huge risk on. He produced pretty well on a team that has two 1st round RBs and a sub-par QB.

I'm mean, compare his numbers to fellow SEC player, Andre Caldwell of Florida. Monk's number dwarf Caldwells and Caldwell is considered a 2nd round pick. Both SEC schools so the pretty much played the same competition.

Monk's numbers also compare well with Keenan Burton.

:applause: THANK YOU! I dont know ANYONE who said justsign this guy because of his name... It just HAPPENS to be a coincidence

and im all for it if he's still ther eby the time we are picking at our 3rd round comp pick.

I checked him out on "Youtube.com" and I must say he's tall enough - some reports say 6' 6" - but I felt uncomfortable watching him catch footballs. I felt as if he was one play away from tripping himself up.

He's a project and in my opinion not better than what little I saw of Anthony Mix in preseason with the Giants. I don't get the feeling that Mix is an accident waiting to happen. Monk is tall and seems as if he's on the slight side.

I checked him out on "Youtube.com" and I must say he's tall enough - some reports say 6' 6" - but I felt uncomfortable watching him catch footballs. I felt as if he was one play away from tripping himself up.

He's a project and in my opinion not better than what little I saw of Anthony Mix in preseason with the Giants. I don't get the feeling that Mix is an accident waiting to happen. Monk is tall and seems as if he's on the slight side.

He came in at a bit over 6'4 and 222 lbs at the combine. I admit he does look sort of lanky when you watch him. Looks like he put on a little weight. Hopefully it is muscle and not just from not playing that much.

as much as i like mix if he is there in the fifth i say we should draft this guy.

and i do agree that it would be amazing to see a skins jersey that said monk on it. #81 maybe?

I don't think the redskins would let him wear 81. I bet there is a bunch of numbers that are unoficially retired and with 81 now in the Hall, that one has joined the list.

as much as i like mix if he is there in the fifth i say we should draft this guy.

and i do agree that it would be amazing to see a skins jersey that said monk on it. #81 maybe?

I don't think the redskins would let him wear 81. I bet there is a bunch of numbers that are unoficially retired and with 81 now in the Hall, that one has joined the list.

Well, Monk wore 85 in college. And wouldn't you know it, 85 was made available not long ago.

One big knock on Monk if you ask me is how simular he seems to be to Mix. So if we are really that confident in Mix's abilities, drafting Monk might not make much sense. If we really like Mix then we may be better suited try to draft an elusive YAC guy. Still think he should be at least 6'1 tho.

If we don't go WR in first i'd spend a 2nd or 3rd on him.

This is my point..... Yes he's tall, yes he had decent production in a run-focused offense, yes his name is MONK..... HOWEVER, a second round pick?!?!?!? He's had two knee surgeries, some scouts say he may have to switch to TE, he doesn't have the speed or athleticism to to get off the line consistently well. Do I hate him? No...not at all. I think he is an intriguing second day pick....fifth would be ok. But if somebody out there can explain to me a second round pick vs. say Trevor Laws or Lawrence Jackson or Roy Scheuning or Chilo Rachal or any one of 10 other receivers I would draft before Monk or........................ 2nd round guys? Really?

Monk is currently projected a 5th or 6th round, why are people saying we should get him in the 2nd or 3rd. In my opinion Nelson is better than Monk. I would rather sign Nelson than monk if we had to chose one. Any person who says otherwise is just lusting over the name.

Well, Monk wore 85 in college. And wouldn't you know it, 85 was made available not long ago.

One big knock on Monk if you ask me is how simular he seems to be to Mix. So if we are really that confident in Mix's abilities, drafting Monk might not make much sense. If we really like Mix then we may be better suited try to draft an elusive YAC guy. Still think he should be at least 6'1 tho.

You mean besides the fact that Mix had 5 TDs at Auburn and Monk had 27 at Arkansas? That is sort of a big difference there.

I have liked Monk for a while now. The knee problems are a concern, though. Also, I am wary of a player whose stock jumps 3-4 rounds just because of his pro day. If he was projected in the 5th round (as I recall reading) and now he's being talked about as an early first day pick, that has "BUST" written all over it.

Ding Ding Ding!!!!

Archived