Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Albert's upper-body strength...?

LaRonDontLikeUgly

Which CB should the Skins draft in the 2nd round?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which CB should the Skins draft in the 2nd round?

• Brandon Flowers
    • Justin King
    • Patrick Lee
    • Tracy Porter
    • Reggie Smith
    • Other CB, please specify
    • The Skins shouldn't select a CB in the 2nd

I personally have never watched any game film on the guy, but many people on ES.COM are very excited about UVA's Offensive Lineman Brandon Albert. I am curious if this is mostly due to local hype- or if this kid is the real deal.

The scouting reports are very positive and seem to agree on the fact that Brandon is very athletic, a leader in the locker room, and most importantly; (in my opinion) plays with a high-motor/mean-streak.

I realize that the combine weight-room and football field are two completely different worlds, but Brandon's upper-body strength worries me a little at the next level...

He squeezed out a disappointing 23 reps on the bench... and the average for all offensive linemen at the combine was about 27. (For comparison, top-rated OL prospect Jake Long banged out 37 reps.)

Other red flags for me... the fact that he's only played organized football for 5 years and his level of competition in college was pretty questionable.

Check out UVA's schedule last year:

http://www.virginiasports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17800&SPID=10606&SPSID=88792

(it's no SEC)

He may be an animal when he pulls into the open field, but right now I think Albert would have some problems battling in NFL trenches. The kid is definitely a project and will probably be very good in a few years... so my question is, must we draft an immediate impact player in the first round of this year's draft?

I'm not too concerned about the reps. Arron Sears lifted 21 times, so did Logan Mankins. Sears is the starting LG for the Bucs and Mankins is the starting LG for the patriots. Bench presses really aren't that great at determining a player's strength. It would be a lot better if they did squats instead.

KFFL:

CHRIS SAMUELS (ALABAMA) 6-5 325 (4.95-40 time) (18 reps@225 lbs)…Chris has all the physical tools that scouts look for in a Tackle…He is quick and explosive, light on his feet, can slide in pass-protection, extends his arms and bends his knees properly and he can anchor vs the run…He has the frame to get bigger and may need to increase his upper-body strength to enhance his play at the next level…Draft Grade – Chris will be the first Tackle selected in the NFL Draft, possibly by the Washington Redskins with the third pick in the 2000 Draft.

http://www.webskins.org/dr00/samuels.html

so his biggest knock is something that can be easily remedied. "Branden, you need more upper body strength, spend the next 3 months in the weight room and be ready for training camp."

I'm sure there is more to it, but professional football teams don't have some of the best nutritionists/trainers/doctors/potential needles and other steroids for nothing.

Wouldn't the low amount of bench reps be due to his freakishly huge wingspan?

Guys that are little barrelchests like Johnathan Stewart can easily put up more reps than him (28). The only possible hole in Albert's game is his height. He would need to learn how to get appropriate leverage at his freakish 6'7 height.

Good thing Buges stayed with us, all of these things are very teachable.

I seem to remember Samuels putting up a fairly low number of reps when he was at the combine. It hasn't seemed to stop him from becoming a perennial Pro Bowler.*

*- ZLT takes no responsibility for this post if it turns out that he was wrong about Samuels' reps.

Love the asterisk - too funny!

Not to take issue with you, but tackles tend to put up fewer reps due to their longer arms. I'm guessing Albert's arms are not as long as the typical tackle, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I think what Albert has shown on the field is probably more indicative of his talent than what he did on the bench.

Also, heard an interview on NFL radio the other day with OT Gosder Cherilus where they asked him about his lack of reps and he said he hadn't learned good technique for benching at BC or something to that effect. So the reps maybe aren't indicative of Albert's true football strength.

Well, if Samuels only had 18 reps, that says a lot. Not to mention, the strongest man in the world would probably be a crappy guard. An evaluation of a player should be based mostly on game tape anyway, and Albert dominates in games. From what I know about O-Line technique, most of a lineman's push comes from his legs.

Jake Long had 37 reps? Well, I guess he's a top 3 pick for a reason.

The only real place where the Bench factors into actual football, as far as I have heard, is in the "punch." When an o-lineman punches out at the d-lineman to try and get him off balance. You see Randy Thomas use the technique all the time, which is why his triceps injury was so difficult for him to come back from.

A good guard will have a combination of size, speed and strength.

btw, Mr. S., love the needles comment. :)

he's 6'7 meaning he probably has long arms

longer arms='s fewer reps

Right you are.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=33795

"...Albert likely moved into the first round by impressing NFL teams on multiple fronts. He interviewed brilliantly, he moved well in drills and his arms measured a long 351/2 inches. As a result of Albert's quickness and long arms, there now is discussion that he could play tackle instead of guard."

Right you are.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=33795

"...Albert likely moved into the first round by impressing NFL teams on multiple fronts. He interviewed brilliantly, he moved well in drills and his arms measured a long 351/2 inches. As a result of Albert's quickness and long arms, there now is discussion that he could play tackle instead of guard."

those are some crazy long arms you have listed there.

The kid is definitely a project and will probably be very good in a few years...

i think that buges is the PERFECT coach for albert. albert sure as hell loves buges. i dont think he is as much of a project as you think and even if he is buges will have him ready to start within a year assuming he isnt ready to start off the bat.

He squeezed out a disappointing 23 reps on the bench... and the average for all offensive linemen at the combine was about 27. (For comparison, top-rated OL prospect Jake Long banged out 37 reps.)

Eh, Jared Allen only banged out 14 reps I believe - it's not something I would be overly concerned with. The ACC is not exactly weak IMO either.

I think Albert can contribute immediately - who do we have in reserve if Kendall or Thomas goes down? Fabini and that's about it. Albert's an important piece IMO to Zorn's puzzle - maybe not this season but surely soon after. It's not like the guy is a project and he can also play tackle if need be.

Albert's about as safe a pick as there is IMO for a late first round selection.

I personally have never watched any game film on the guy, but many people on ES.COM are very excited about UVA's Offensive Lineman Brandon Albert. I am curious if this is mostly due to local hype- or if this kid is the real deal.

The scouting reports are very positive and seem to agree on the fact that Brandon is very athletic, a leader in the locker room, and most importantly; (in my opinion) plays with a high-motor/mean-streak.

I realize that the combine weight-room and football field are two completely different worlds, but Brandon's upper-body strength worries me a little at the next level...

Other red flags for me... the fact that he's only played organized football for 5 years and his level of competition in college was pretty questionable.

Check out UVA's schedule last year:

http://www.virginiasports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17800&SPID=10606&SPSID=88792

(it's no SEC)

He may be an animal when he pulls into the open field, but right now I think Albert would have some problems battling in NFL trenches. The kid is definitely a project and will probably be very good in a few years... so my question is, must we draft an immediate impact player in the first round of this year's draft?

I would make a couple points:

1. The strength is a serious consideration, but of all the deficincies in a player, it is the easiest to correct. You can't give a player speed, or character, or a mean streak, or the versatility to play G or T. You can put him on a weight and diet program that will make him stronger and bigger - especially when he is the size of Albert. Also remember that lanky dudes often have way longer arms, I'd want to see arm length comparisons. I see midgets jacking out tons of reps in the gym all the time.

2. If Albert had no downsides or question marks, he would be a top 15 pick and we would have no shot at him.

3. I think you compare this deficiency to those at other positions. Take Sweed, as an example. I'd take Albert over Sweed because of the wrist injury.

4. We don't need him to start immediately, so if you were to draft him, strength program from day 1. If you needed him to start immediately, that strength might make you pass.

5. Conventional wisdom says it is easier to have a T play G than vice versa. There are 4-6 tackles with 1st round grades. If a true LT seems available, and other positions are depleted, maybe you take the T, and let him play G, and pass on Alberts.

6. However it pans out, we need to draft one high quality OL, someone in 1st 3 rounds.

7. You draft the player you think can be a quality starter for a decade. If you draft well year to year and value draft picks, you don't usually go into a draft like we are--with 5-6 major needs but only 3-4 high picks. Good GMs don't overemphasize short term need, which coaches most always will, but rather think about the long term. When you look back at 5-10 years of 1st round picks, are we going to be like the Colts, and have every 1st round pick be a quality starter, or did we focus on need more than best player available, and choose inferior players that didn't pan out. We aren't winning the SB this year, or next. Seriously. So you pick the player who seems likely to be the best long term contributor -- a function of talent, durability, character, etc. If you felt like Alberts was better than other tackles, and could start for a decade after one year on the bench doing strength training, then draft him. A player that needs a year or two to be ready to start is obviously usually graded as a 2nd round player or later.

It takes great discipline to take the heat for picks that don't contribute immediately, and stay true to a long term philosophy, which is why there are so few good GMs.

so his biggest knock is something that can be easily remedied. "Branden, you need more upper body strength, spend the next 3 months in the weight room and be ready for training camp."

I'm sure there is more to it, but professional football teams don't have some of the best nutritionists/trainers/doctors/potential needles and other steroids for nothing.

:rotflmao:

While I'm still all for going WR or CB in round 1, I don't think that this should be a reason not to take Banden if one was/is going to take him.

Eh, Jared Allen only banged out 14 reps I believe - it's not something I would be overly concerned with. The ACC is not exactly weak IMO either.

I think Albert can contribute immediately - who do we have in reserve if Kendall or Thomas goes down? Fabini and that's about it. Albert's an important piece IMO to Zorn's puzzle - maybe not this season but surely soon after. It's not like the guy is a project and he can also play tackle if need be.

Albert's about as safe a pick as there is IMO for a late first round selection.

Any Guard drafted in the first 3 rounds this year is a safe pick and would be a great go to guy if Kendal or Thomas get injured. Do we "waste" a first rounder on Albert when there are several good guards in this draft?

We need to address CB/WR and DL. There are some great prospects at CB and WR at #21. I would rather get a future shutdown corner first rather that take the risk of taking a nickel corner in the 3rd round.

Archived