Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A different look on the draft

redskindomination

Well, I know this has been done a few times before, but this is a little different view on the draft, so keep an open mind and tell me what you think. Oh, and I have also added our comp. picks of a 3rd and 7th.

Round 1- Trade w/ AZ for Anquan Boldin or Roy Williams. At this point it wouldn't really matter which. Whichever is easier to pry away from their team. But, I believe one of these guys will be obtainable. I don't know if this would happen straight up maybe add in some later rounds picks from our 09 selection(May include Shawn Springs).

Round 2- Trade with ATL, including a 3rd Round pick from 09 for Deangelo Hall. I think obtaining this guy will solidify our secondary. Although I believe Springs would have to go into one of these deals due to cap reasons

Round 3- I'm thinking Chris Ellis DE (VT) here, may be a little late for him here. If he's not around, take the best DE available.

Round 3- Owen Schimdt FB (WVU), Sellers is getting up there, and with the skins running WCO this guy could share some time and be a valuable asset. Another possible pick here would be S Craig Steltz (LSU).

Round 5- Here I'll go WR Adrian Arrington (MU). There is no harm in making your weakest point your strongest. Although it is hard to tell where this guy will go in the draft, if he's not around we'll go best guard available.

Round 6- Jonathan Zenon CB (LSU). I liked this guy at LSU and seemed to have good athletic ability. And per the previous trades, we will need another CB for depth due to the exit of Springs and this guy could be a nice project.

2 Round 7's- With these two picks I would again go OL depth and let Zorny pick a project at QB.

Also, on a side not regarding FA pickups, I would only reccomend the following:

DT Rod Coleman, would add nice depth to the rotation of Griffin, Montgomery, and Golston. Might also come at a discount as well seeing that no one has picked him up yet.

Well that all folks, just thought it might be a fresh perspective on things, thoughts?:applause:

I don't see anyway we could possibly fit Boldin's new contract and DeAngelo Hall's new contract under the cap. Even if we restructured every possible player to make it fit this year it would kill us either next year, or the year after.

I also don't get the Owen Scmidt obsession. I agree that Sellars is getting up there in age and we have no depth behind him. That being said, Mike is a durable guy and still has at least 2 years in him if he doesn't suffer a serious injury. We still need depth at C, OG, DT, DE, LB, S, CB, and WR. I see all of those needs as being more important than FB. In addition, he isn't even the highest rated "WCO" fullback in the draft.

I say NO to trading draft picks for players. The only trading that would interest me would be trading down for extra picks. The time has come to develop and build for future.

How is this not building for the future? These guys are young and proven, and to be honest with you I really don't think there is alot of value with the #21 pick unless we go CB. If you could get a 24 year old CB and WR with your draft picks, that's not building for the future? Granted, this is alot of money, but niether one one these players require new contracts this year and with Springs involved trade with his $7mill salary, this is totally possible. This is what the Redskins do, and these pickups would make us a serious contender in the NFC.:point2sky

trading away our first two round picks is exactly what we do not want to do. maybe trade one if the price is right, but both, no way. when was the last time we had a near full draft as we do this April - probably not for years. and look what it has done for us. if the leadership of this team is smart, they will stay away from trading picks for high priced stars and instead accumulate picks to add strong depth to OL and DL, where the game is won.

I don't see anyway we could possibly fit Boldin's new contract and DeAngelo Hall's new contract under the cap. Even if we restructured every possible player to make it fit this year it would kill us either next year, or the year after.

I also don't get the Owen Scmidt obsession. I agree that Sellars is getting up there in age and we have no depth behind him. That being said, Mike is a durable guy and still has at least 2 years in him if he doesn't suffer a serious injury. We still need depth at C, OG, DT, DE, LB, S, CB, and WR. I see all of those needs as being more important than FB. In addition, he isn't even the highest rated "WCO" fullback in the draft.

You don't think if we acquired both these guys, gave one a new contract this year and one a new contract next year that it wouldn't be possible?

As far as the needs you listed I believe I addressed the majority. Guard, DT via FA, DE in the 3rd, no Schimdt, go safety in the 3rd, which I noted, and CB and WR were also addressed. Please read again. I think if we could come close to something like this it would address almost all of our needs, WITH GOOD PLAYERS, not bums like Hackett and B. Johnson that everybody thinks would be so fantasic.

As I've said each of the past five years. We need to build the lines and stop focusing on WR, corners, and safties.

We lost in the playoffs because we couldn't block anyone and we couldn't pressure their quarterback. Were by far the worst team in the league at converting third and ones and probably tops in surrendering them.

Relying on Jansen, Thomas, Rabach, Kendell and Samuels all well into their thirties and all with a history of surgery and injury is foolishness. A better line makes Portis dangerous and allows Moss and El to be scary.

How is this not building for the future? These guys are young and proven, and to be honest with you I really don't think there is a lot of value with the #21 pick unless we go CB. If you could get a 24 year old CB and WR with your draft picks, that's not building for the future? Granted, this is a lot of money, but neither one one these players require new contracts this year and with Springs involved trade with his $7mill salary, this is totally possible. This is what the Redskins do, and these pickups would make us a serious contender in the NFC.:point2sky

Build from within i.e. Our own players at less cost. We need to draft for a couple years then we can if necessary return to paying FA`s crazy,mad and sometimes insane money.

The best* lineman are found in rounds 2-4.

*quality/value

completely agree we have some good OL in this draft that will be there in round 3. We should have two picks that round. Dont waste #21 on OL.

** CB should be the choice ** Less bust factor and

The Skins have been fortunate drafting good corners in the first and second rounds.

1. Darryl Green #28 in 1983

2. Champ Bailey #7 in 1999

3. Carlos Rodgers #9 in 2005

4. Fred Smooooot #45 in 2001

I don't understand why anyone would not be willing to trade a first for Boldin or a second for Hall. Both are very young and have proven to be very good. The draft is a crap shoot, there are busts at every position in every round. I also don't understand the thinking that we do not need a wide receiver. How long was it before our wr's finally scored a touchdown? How many 100 yd games did they have? Our wrs simply did not get it done last year. While I agree that we do need to work on the pass rush, I do not believe it is the same level problem as our terrible offense. Our defense is top 10 while our offense is terrible.

We don't need another starting corner.

Carlos will be healthy by mid-season, and to break the bank when we have Springs and Smoot would be dumb. I think a first/second/third round corner and maybe even a stop-gap signing for nickel would be best. Eubanks is bad, but Torrence is serviceable. We only really need a nickel/back-up level corner, because as soon as Carlos is healthy again whoever else we get would be fighting Smoot for the 3rd spot.

I don't understand why anyone would not be willing to trade a first for Boldin or a second for Hall. Both are very young and have proven to be very good. The draft is a crap shoot, there are busts at every position in every round. I also don't understand the thinking that we do not need a wide receiver. How long was it before our wr's finally scored a touchdown? How many 100 yd games did they have? Our wrs simply did not get it done last year. While I agree that we do need to work on the pass rush, I do not believe it is the same level problem as our terrible offense. Our defense is top 10 while our offense is terrible.

Thank you. Every offseason it seems like fans try to make more out of players than they are actually capable of. And every year we are stuck in the same position. I don't agree with people that say we are multiple players away from being a legitimate contender, but only a few. So, impact players are what we need.

We don't need another starting corner.

Carlos will be healthy by mid-season, and to break the bank when we have Springs and Smoot would be dumb. I think a first/second/third round corner and maybe even a stop-gap signing for nickel would be best. Eubanks is bad, but Torrence is serviceable. We only really need a nickel/back-up level corner, because as soon as Carlos is healthy again whoever else we get would be fighting Smoot for the 3rd spot.

Not so much, Carlos will not be fully healthy until next year, so I don't really expect to see him in anything but nickel. And, when next year rolls around, let's face it, Springs will most likely be gone. In my opinion, it's not everyday that you come across a CB with the ability of Hall, it's not even about drafting. This guy has the ability to be one of the best for years to come. Kinda reminds me of someone else that used to play for the redskins, #24.

there's no way the skins are able to trade a first round pick that is low, for Roy Williams or Bolden.... And there's definitely no way the skins could trade for DeAngelo Hall with a second round pick. If there was some way the skins could play the Lions, Falcons, or the Cardinals like that, I would be all for it but it's very unlikely that trade would ever work

Archived