Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JMU Football Stadium Expansion

TODD

I see those points... I just don't like that JMU is expanding so much. I think 22k is the near term goal and even that is too much. One of the reasons (among many) that I chose JMU over VT was because of the smaller size. I don't want JMU to be known for athletics. Sure athletics brings in more applications, but JMU gets a lot of applications anyway.

Theoretically money can be made from the football program, but I remain skeptical since JMU has quite a long way to go. Maybe I am thinking in too short of a time span.

I understand your concern but JMU definitely owns enough land to continue to expand to about 22k. After 22k I think that you are right in your concern that the school is getting too large.

As for the the football program, I think you definitely are thinking in too small a time frame. No football program is built overnight but I think that JMU is at least heading in the right direction. I am very hopeful that in the next 20 years I will be able to see JMU play games on ESPN that aren't the 1AA playoffs in December.

I see those points... I just don't like that JMU is expanding so much. I think 22k is the near term goal and even that is too much. One of the reasons (among many) that I chose JMU over VT was because of the smaller size. I don't want JMU to be known for athletics. Sure athletics brings in more applications, but JMU gets a lot of applications anyway.

Yeh, same, I'm sure much has changed since I graduated. I stopped by there one time driving home from UT, and it looked much different. They are building a tunnel at the end of the quad to walk under main street? That parking deck destroyed all the houses that added to the beauty of the quad. Shoot, couple that with how they paved a bunch of the quad before my senior year (2005-2006) and the quad just seems smaller and less useful than it was when I was a freshman there and none of the quad was paved.

I am for the stadium expansion, but I don't see a need to bring the student body over 20,000, including grad students. 22k if more of those extra are grad students is fine. One of the best things about JMU is the reduced amount of grad assistants teaching classes. This of itself was probably the thing students take for granted for being a school of that size.

At VT, UVA, and other big schools, early level classes are only taught by grad students. I'm not taking away from the grad students, but I found it beneficial to have tenured profesors teaching all levels of classes as that helps build rapport with that professor if you go into his/her major.

They are building 2 new dorms, 1 new dining place, a biotech building, the new library is pretty much done already, and they have just started work on the performing arts center. I came to JMU 3 years after you did and even I won't be able to recognize the place after I graduate.

The parking deck is definitely a down grade aesthetically, but the performing arts center will cover up a lot of it. The performing arts center by itself will look pretty cool too.

All in all I like the expansion... it gives off the air of progress. I guess with such a rapid expansion it only makes sense to upgrade the stadium as well. And it will be pretty cool having a decent sized stadium right in the middle of the campus.

Theoretically money can be made from the football program, but I remain skeptical since JMU has quite a long way to go. Maybe I am thinking in too short of a time span.

You dont want JMU to be known for Atheltics. Where is your school pride man. JMU is a joke with out athletics. Nothing is worse then trying to hype up a D-1AA championship. Top flight athletic programs bring the school to a different level.

You dont want JMU to be known for Atheltics. Where is your school pride man. JMU is a joke with out athletics. Nothing is worse then trying to hype up a D-1AA championship. Top flight athletic programs bring the school to a different level.

Sorry to burst your bubble here, but there are plenty of schools who have a name and are not known for athletics at all. Lets focus on major athletics here, football, b-ball, baseball, maybe some lacrosse, sports that people will talk about at the water-cooler. Otherwise, may as well say all of the Ivy's suck.

School pride has nothing to do with athletics. Pride has everything to do with how you portray that school to your fellow classmates and non-students/alumni. It is discussing it with nostalgia and glowing remarks and encouraging future students to go there. It is not just who can yell the loudest at a football game. I have very little pride for JMU, I've definitely become more of a Vols fan in just one semester here. However, I am willing to discuss it's merits. You are right though, it is kinda lame to hype up a I-AA championship.

However, while I don't think JMU academics are that great, I wouldn't say JMU is a joke w/o athletics. They have improved their academics greatly in the past 15 years. They have become one of the most popular schools out there. Also, when people think of JMU, they don't think of athletics anyways (they think of hot girls and parties, but lets not go there :laugh: ). Shoot, most non JMU affiliated people don't even care about I-AA and have forgotten about that title and don't know about JMU at all. However, people all over have heard of W&M, along with UVA and VT.

Top-flight athletics can help improve the notoriety of a school, so I'll concede that. More money comes in as a result.

I'm not taking away from the grad students, but I found it beneficial to have tenured profesors teaching all levels of classes as that helps build rapport with that professor if you go into his/her major.

Man, if I had tenured professors for every class, I'd have a 4.0. Old mf'ers love giving out As without any recourse.

• 10 months later...

any update on this? I mainly ask students who are currently there. I want to know how the construction is going? It'll be nice to finally have some permanent stands in that end-zone. I liked how every year, the band was always on those bleachers, and the design and shape was different every year.

any update on this? I mainly ask students who are currently there. I want to know how the construction is going? It'll be nice to finally have some permanent stands in that end-zone. I liked how every year, the band was always on those bleachers, and the design and shape was different every year.

The expansion hasn't started yet.

Although I don't know what there is to be excited about when you basically **** all over JMU academics AND athletics in your previous post in this thread.

Oh well, looks like JMU basketball is on track to be a quality mid major program in a year or two.

Although I don't know what there is to be excited about when you basically **** all over JMU academics AND athletics in your previous post in this thread.

Oh well, looks like JMU basketball is on track to be a quality mid major program in a year or two.

You better save that claim until after Saturday, then we can talk.:)

Any chance you head down to Hburg for the game?

You better save that claim until after Saturday, then we can talk.:)

Any chance you head down to Hburg for the game?

Haha, I wish man but I don't think I'll be able to make it this weekend. I was at the game @ Mason and it was a good time.

I'm not expecting a win but it would be nice - JMU is set in a nice position for the coming years with probably the best freshman class in the conference.

I wish I knew whether Juwann James was coming back for the game on Saturday - he's been out for a while with an unknown condition.

Are you heading down there?

Haha, I wish man but I don't think I'll be able to make it this weekend. I was at the game @ Mason and it was a good time.

I'm not expecting a win but it would be nice - JMU is set in a nice position for the coming years with probably the best freshman class in the conference.

I wish I knew whether Juwann James was coming back for the game on Saturday - he's been out for a while with an unknown condition.

Are you heading down there?

Yeah I'm going. I live only about 45 minutes from there, so I'm gonna drive home Friday. And lets wait, say 2 years, before we have a debate about the quality of this year's freshman class. Cornelius + Pearson + Morrison ftw!:D

Yeah I'm going. I live only about 45 minutes from there, so I'm gonna drive home Friday. And lets wait, say 2 years, before we have a debate about the quality of this year's freshman class. Cornelius + Pearson + Morrison ftw!:D

Moore+Wells+Semenov = difference between perennial bottom feeder and contending for a top 4 spot in the CAA. :D

Oh yeah, and Brady seems like a damn good coach.

However, this is just hopeful speculation but I've been very impressed so far and I think the program is heading in the right direction.

I think you need to re-read my post a bit closely, especially at a few operative lines. I'll admit that I got more interested in JMU Football this year since I actually got to watch some on tv, and that I wasn't as into it before. I also did say "I am willing to discuss it's merits."

I also said the academics have shot up, but for being known as a liberal arts school, the course offerings were lacking compared to what I know is offered at other schools. For a school of 16k when I graduated in 2006, the amount and variety of courses offered in various liberal arts courses was similar to the offerings of an 8k size schooled, that's what I was mainly stating. Business and education, as well as music were pretty much the best known at the time.

Also it is true, for only being about 5 hours away from Knoxville, very few people down here have heard of JMU. I like how JMU athletics are rising across the board, not just in football. However, I'd also like to know that JMU academic offerings are increasing as well.

I can still be excited about the stadium expansion, I would care even more when JMU jumped to I-A.

I think you need to re-read my post a bit closely, especially at a few operative lines. I'll admit that I got more interested in JMU Football this year since I actually got to watch some on tv, and that I wasn't as into it before. I also did say "I am willing to discuss it's merits."

I also said the academics have shot up, but for being known as a liberal arts school, the course offerings were lacking compared to what I know is offered at other schools. For a school of 16k when I graduated in 2006, the amount and variety of courses offered in various liberal arts courses was similar to the offerings of an 8k size schooled, that's what I was mainly stating. Business and education, as well as music were pretty much the best known at the time.

Also it is true, for only being about 5 hours away from Knoxville, very few people down here have heard of JMU. I like how JMU athletics are rising across the board, not just in football. However, I'd also like to know that JMU academic offerings are increasing as well.

I can still be excited about the stadium expansion, I would care even more when JMU jumped to I-A.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

My point being that pretty much anyone would want to go 1-A. However, fan support at 1-AA is necessary to ever consider moving to 1-A. You can't be a 1-AA squad playing to a half empty stadium and expect to move to 1-A. Thankfully, that's no longer necessary.

As far as academics go JMU is highly rated in pretty much every program - right now it's a medium sized school that is expanding the academic offerings. Things like this take time but considering it's almost always rated as the top public masters level university in the south by Princeton Review it's not exactly a crappy academic institution.

That's pretty much where I took some offense - I'm sorry if I took it wrong.

Archived