Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gus Frerotte. He's sort of a fan favorite in Washington. (M.E.T.)

Redskins4ever

This was mentioned in an earlier Frerotte thread, but just to let people know: Zorn coached Frerotte when he was in Detroit for the 1999 season (when we met him in the playoffs).

Frerotte's stats that year (6 starts): 175/288, 60.8% comp., 2117 yds, 7.4 y/a, 9 TD, 7 INT, 83.6 rating

I didn't know that Zorn coached Gus in Detroit. Gus is a more mature, and experienced QB now than he was back in the day. Moss, Randle El, and Cooley are better options to throw to than Westbrook, Leslie Sheppard, and Stephen Alexander. He would be a great fit here. Gus was also in a west coast offense in Denver. Frerotte has the credentials to back up Jason Campbell.

We want Gus! and might as well bring back Westbrook too...

Westbrook was too stubborn to play for the average salary and now, that's all he would be worth. I think he was in the Michael Irvin/Jerry Rice mold, but he had a bad attitude and was too injury prone. From 1995 to 2001, he was erratic, with his best season coming in 1999. He's 34 or 35 now and hasn't played since 2002 with the Bengals.

The scene I'll never forget was when he caught a first down in OT against the Giants on Monday night in Giant territory. Rips his helmet off, they get backed up 15 yards and dont get points. I think they went on to tie. Epitomized the Norv years right there.

You are actually mis-remembering. :silly: The reason Westbrook ripped off his helmet was that the referee ruled he was out of bounds on the first down catch even through replay showed he was clearly in bounds. Unfortunately, there was no instant replay that year. Westbrook had every right to be upset but the penalty for removing his helmet took the Skins out of FG position and helped to prevent them from winning the game.

Another funny story about Gus. Back in 2000, I received free tickets to see Denver play San Diego at the old Mile High Stadium. The starting QB that day for the Broncos was none other that the Headbanger himself. It turned out to be quite a dual between Gus and Ryan Leaf, yes THAT Ryan Leaf. It was probably Leaf's best day as a pro. Fortunately, Gus was better. Denver was down by 16 points at one point but came storming back behind Gus, who threw for a still standing Bronco record 443 yards, and won the game 38-37.

As for signing Gus to replace Collins, he'll be 37 on July 31. I just don't think he has much left in the tank.

Archived