Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Minor League NFL

dyounker44

I am sure plenty of people have mentioned this in the past but I think a minor league system could work and benefit teams and the NFL. Every year teams trim there rosters to get down to 53. Why not change the practice squad, let teams hold another 53. I am sure that there are some players that do not make it on a roster at the end of camp are potential stars. So now your practice squad becomes more developmental if these guys are actually playing at game speed. Each teams minor league system would be demographaclly close. Skins or Ravens play in cities like Annapolis, Frederick or on the eastern shore. We would get a better look at guys like Marcus Mason and Westbrook. The fans get an affordable game with decent talent and teams could hold on to young guys that need some work.

AAFL! Read about it if you don't know what it is.

My view with it is that the NFL teams will scout those players out during the AAFL season and will potentially sign some of them for training camp.

There are only 6 teams right now, with 2 more set to open in 2009. However, they are already in college football hotspots, so no need to worry about getting people to go see the Fredericksburg Redskins or Annapolis Ravens. COnceivably, with Texas, Michigan, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, and FLorida being 6 big spots of football already, and an North Carolina and Indiana team soon to come, they won't have the same problem.

they should def. make a more official farm system, and they should maybe even think about having it after the draft or something, with teams having the option to get those picks in action quick... well, at least the ones in like the 4th and later or whatever... just a thought

The AAFL is the college reject league, for example, the Florida team is all ex-Gators coached by Redskins Great Shane Matthews. It still might be fun to watch though, I'm considering going to the game they will play in Tampa to boo them.

The AFL has a very good minor league system in place called the AF2. They have more teams than the big league and help spread the product to the smaller markets. That's where my team, sitting at 0-5 last season, found a franchise QB off the street. We finished 9-7, got a home playoff game, and that QB was rookie of the year.

There are too many other leagues in which to evaluate people's skills. I think an official minor league of the NFL would be more of a hindrance than help. I think you would be asking for more injuries with this type of league and too much money with not enough revenue.

I really don't see anything wrong with the system these days. No need to pay 53 minor league players salaries that will never amount to anything. Well, possibly a gem here and there. Just sounds like a waste.

It would be awesome to have a smaller Farm team for each team to develop talent. Players can play multiple positions, and all players will come from one team, not like NFL Europa, where people played with other team's rejects.

And **** 50 yard fields. Its great for some entertainment, but a real farm league should play the same way as their professional counterparts.

]']And **** 50 yard fields. Its great for some entertainment' date=' but a real farm league should play the same way as their professional counterparts.[/quote']

For people who follow AFL close enough to understand the nuances of the game, most of it operates so differently from NFL that it can't really be expected to be a legit farm system for the NFL. The rules vary enough that it has only slightly more in common with NFL than soccer does.

Archived