Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So you want to draft a wide receiver?

BillyKilmer

Well, it'll be interesting to see how our 2008 rookie class will be utilized in the 2009 offensive scheme. People are insane if they expected all of them to produce big numbers for our team immediately.

That being said, I would have liked to have seen them used more in our plays, particularly toward the end of the season. Kelly was clearly a gamble; I really hope his knee problems can be overcome next year, but we'll see. Who knows though. Regardless, I think we are going to see a lot more from our rookie class this next season, I have high hopes for these boys. :D

Great bump.

Sure there were other receivers that were successful this year, but that doesn't mean that ours will be busts.

I think that WR is one of the harder positions to adjust to the pro game. In college you're just bigger and faster than everyone and that gets you open. You get to the pros, run routes the same way, and there's a defender on your hip still. It takes most receivers lots of game reps to learn how to run their routes, set up their routes, and do the small things that help you get open in the NFL.

The only reason to draft a WR this year is that after Thrash retires there is an accident and one of our receivers has a season ending injury and Maryland's Receiver drops to us in the 3rd round and we addressed the D line in free agency and after trading down in the first round we picked up some big uglies for the O line.

This thread is the reason I never understood the criticism of our rookie WRs. This thread was posted in February. We all knew and commented on the fact that any reciever we drafted may take time to develop. Yet as we went through the season people still whined and moaned at their lack of production.

The issue I have with the OP is running an average.

For instance, let's say you have a bust on your hands. He's going to bring down everyone's numbers. Are injuries factored in?

Also, Roddy White played with Vick and garbage at QB. I think this year he has really good numbers because Ryan is there at QB.

While you would expect improvement, there's no doubt we should have had better production from our rookie wideouts based simply on the fact that almost all the draftees have superior numbers to Thomas, Kelly (and if you want throw in Davis.) I don't necessarily blame those wideouts completely, either.

An a QB cant get it to them running for his life

I would disagree that JC is always "running for his life." I think there are 2 parts to why the passing game fails- JC doesn't make the quick decision to get the ball out and the WRs drop the ball. All in all the line only gave up a little over 2 sacks a game (we gave up 36 or 37 I think).

I would disagree that JC is always "running for his life." I think there are 2 parts to why the passing game fails- JC doesn't make the quick decision to get the ball out and the WRs drop the ball. All in all the line only gave up a little over 2 sacks a game (we gave up 36 or 37 I think).

Completely agree. I really think just a few games contributed to the misconception that Campbell never had time to throw. Sure the Steelers and the Cowboys were all over him in our November losses, but I think a good chunk of the pressure he felt in other games was a result of him holding on to the ball too long.

Yea Calvin johnson sucked with those 0-16 QB's

Cal Johnson is an absolute freak of nature. With Manning/Brady he would be pushing 1800 and 20 TDs on a yearly basis. A young Randy Moss would qualify in that class as well. You're talking about 2-3 WRs out of 200+ in the NFL who can make their QBs look better than they are because they have an ability to go up and get it no matter what's going on around them. You don't see WRs put up great #s without very good QB play. Think Chad Johnson/TJ Hous suddenly forgot how to run routes this year?

Naming 1 or 2 exceptions doesn't disprove the rule. Marvin Harrison or Marquis Colston go out and the Colts/Saints still pass the ball effectively and still win games. Think that's the case if Bress or Manning go down? Go ahead and cite the Pats this year if you want but I knew they'd still win because they have the best coach in the league, flexible systems, and terrific players everywhere. But they struggled against the class of the AFC (Pitt/SD/Indy) because they DIDNT have that stud under center.

I agree that the Redskins need a WR. Not just any WR. But a productive WR. The reason the offense is so average is because of the passing game. Randel El is ineffective. Cooley can do but so much. Moss is the only "very respected" WR we have. Thomas and Kelly need to step it up. If the Redskins can either develop Kelly or Thomas, or get a WR that can scare Defenses like Moss can, then they would be a much better offense. Santana Moss can't do it alone. This is the problem we have on offense.

Vinny Cerrato would probably draft a WR again. He doesn't have any talents in evaluating players and it showed thru his previous draft and trade records with the 49ers and now Redskins. See what happened to the 49ers lately. It's scary that he will be involved with this year's draft again. He is Danny's boy so nothing can be done with him. Redskins fans, just pray to get lucky in the draft.

Calvin Johnson also was on a team with a crappy O-line, had 4 different starting QB's and traded away the other WR mid-season. - Doesn't seem like he had much to work with.
Dan Orlovsky is a possible star in the making. People wish to blame all the team around Campbell, well Orlovsky had NOTHING around him and played hard.

In half of the overall attempts compared to Campbell, in balls thrown 20 or more yards downfield, Orlovsky had more completions and more yards. He was not afraid to take a chance. He and Johnson may have some huge years ahead.

Archived