Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Free Agents or the Draft

dyounker44

For some reason I have this Damned if you do Damned if you dont at this time of the year. Non of our top free agentsignings have turned out to be worth a f*** and I can not think of a #1 draft pick that has amounted to anything since Gibbs first retirement. We cant include ST in this because he is no longer with us, It is to early to judge Cambell. You may be able to include Portis as a draft success although we did not draft him, he is a product of our draft via trade of one of our stars. I think we need to draft the best player available in the first round and use him no matter what position except qb and rb. we need to sign one big name per free agency or trade and add depth to both lines, DB and LB. We have had the talent to win super bowls, many of them. Our guys just dont get up 16 games a season but we are good at barley winning 4 and putting together 5 games at the end of the season where nobody can compete with us. If our talent al showed up for 12 games a season we would have been 16-0. Every year we are just on the brink of good things and if Gibbs cant motivate this group of players for 16 games I am not sure anyone can. I hope Zorn proves me wrong. :2cents:

I do not worry about this because after another year of restructuring madness we can't afford to sign any big name free agent. We have no other wise choice than using the draft. I just hope we are going to select a "gem" in each and single round we have.

Hail

For some reason I have this Damned if you do Damned if you dont at this time of the year. Non of our top free agentsignings have turned out to be worth a f*** and I can not think of a #1 draft pick that has amounted to anything since Gibbs first retirement. We cant include ST in this because he is no longer with us, It is to early to judge Cambell. You may be able to include Portis as a draft success although we did not draft him, he is a product of our draft via trade of one of our stars. I think we need to draft the best player available in the first round and use him no matter what position except qb and rb. we need to sign one big name per free agency or trade and add depth to both lines, DB and LB. We have had the talent to win super bowls, many of them. Our guys just dont get up 16 games a season but we are good at barley winning 4 and putting together 5 games at the end of the season where nobody can compete with us. If our talent al showed up for 12 games a season we would have been 16-0. Every year we are just on the brink of good things and if Gibbs cant motivate this group of players for 16 games I am not sure anyone can. I hope Zorn proves me wrong. :2cents:

I am with you in regards to motivation of the team. What there needs to be is a reality check done with players that have the starting jobs and are underachieving. Have those players compete for a starting position such as, Jon Jansen and Philip Daniels. Both of these guys are good but there are guys behind them that are just as good and younger with a lot of upside. Stephen Heyer and Chris Wilson are those guys I am talking about. If you do that with the ones that aren't producing then maybe they will be motivated each game of the season. Let them earn it all over again.

As far as whether we should draft, trade or do it via FA, I think we draft as many as possible and do a trade or get a player via FA that is young and will fit into the system we are running. Don't get a big receiver just to get one. Get one that has played in a WCO or has the skills to play in the WCO. I am talking like a Larry Fitzgerald, Chad Johnson and Randy Moss. These guys would do very good in any offense if it is run right. Don't get just anyone. Get value and skilled players. On Defense we need to get a run stuffer with pass rushing abilities like when we had Daryl Gardner for that one year. He was a beast. He got push in the backfield, disrupted plays, and when teamed with Griffin for that year, when both were healthy, they were unblockable. They were double teamed and that freed up the DE. We got Gardner after he was released by Miami then he went onto Denver where he was always hurt due to his bad back. That was the only down-side to him. Sometimes talent and skilled players get hurt and their careers are shortened by the injury bug.

Non of our top free agentsignings have turned out to be worth a f*** and I can not think of a #1 draft pick that has amounted to anything since Gibbs first retirement.

Wow... you make me think we're the Dolphins instead of a team that made the playoffs in 2 of the last three years.

#1 draft picks that have ammounted to something:

Chris Samuels... lots of probowls and definately not a bum.

Laron Landry... a lot to be proven yet, but he is already at least a solid safety and not a bum. (Your criterion is a # 1 draft pick that has ammounted to more than nothing.)

Carlos Rogers... Terrible hands, good tackler, pretty good cover guy. Not a star, but not a bust or a bum. Terrible injury.

Jason Campbell... well, we'll have to wait and see, but the guy has made some great scrambles and when he played with a line at the beginning of the year seemed on his way.

Lavar Arrington: When he fell he fell hard, but for a number of years he was very good.

Free Agents: Our top free agent signings last year were Fletcher and Smoot. Both were key to resurrecting our defense. I'd also say that Griffin wasn't a bum and Springs was an excellent pick up.

Your premise is terrible.

Archived