Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB late round prospect for WCO : Josh Johnson (Merged & M.E.T.)

RedskinsSuperBowl21

Another post from that Chargers board I cited earlier, and like Ron Burgundy says, San Diego stays classy:

love him... he's got all the tools... and handles the pressure very well.....

he may end up being the best of class... Harbaugh did good... Jim Zorn will love him...

here's a piece from Seattle's Scout - they like him too

QB Josh Johnson, San Diego

Johnson's Offensive MVP performance at the Shrine Game was a continuation of his amazing 2007 season. Johnson threw for almost 3,000 yards in only 10 games, but the real standout stat was his 43-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio. That's 43 touchdowns. In one season. Those who have seen Johnson admire his poise in the pocket -- unlike most young, mobile quarterbacks, he's not automatically prone to balking and bringing he ball down at the first sign of pressure. His work with Jim Harbaugh has been an advantage. The real question is how the NCAA's all-time passing efficiency rating leader will match up against competition stronger than Valparaiso, Morehead State and Cal-Davis. The Shrine Game was a definitive answer, but if Johnson can show the same kinds of mechanics as other quarterbacks of interest at the Combine, he could watch his stock split for the second time.

What Will Impress: Reads through progressions very well, great long-distance arm, excellent burst and elusiveness as a runner.

What He Needs to Prove: Versatility in his repertoire, especially short throws. Occasionally iffy form (setting his feet and ball release) during Shrine Game practices will be a red flag here.

Do you guys realize that the WCO relies upon a high percentage short passing game? This prospect you are ready to give up a third round pick for has the following weakness:

"Seems more comfortable airing the ball out, rather than playing dink-and-dunk with a short-area passing game (accuracy is a bit off on screens, wheel routes)...Effective at throwing ropes 40 yards downfield with ease..."

Pass....

I'd put serious money on Colt "45" Brennan who is falling like a rock. He is perfect for the Z-WCO type offense. 45 should be avaiable in the 5th or 6th round.

NO WAY! His stock is falling for a reason. He is a small system QB who lacks accuracy, mechanics and big league arm strength. WCO QBs have to be accurate. This guy is David Klingler or Andre Ware.

I'm not even advocating taking a QB this year in the draft at all.

However..

If you're looking for a player that knows the WCO and played it coming out of college, there aren't many with better credentials than Booty.

USC QB John David Booty Scouting Report

Height: 6-2, Weight: 213, Draft Grade: 70

Strengths: Has several years of experience working in a pro style system…he has a polished throwing motion and delivery…savvy player who doesn’t get rattled in signs of adversity…has solid footwork and is more mobile than advertised…cerebral player who had complete control of offense while at SC…solid prospect, whom scouts and GMs know what they are getting when they draft him…

Weaknesses: Is he just a very good college QB—or can he develop into a good pro…he is limited athletically to a certain extent…had the added luxury with playing along such gifted athletes so his job as SC QB was not a difficult one…never stood out at USC…has he maxed out on his potential?…doesn’t seem to have a dynamic aspect to his game…fell victim to injuries in 2007 which limited him somewhat…his accuracy is just good, it is not special by any means…and his arm strength is just average as well…

Overall: John David Booty is a pure pocket passer with the skills required for to blossom at the next level. He just is not physically gifted enough to overwhelm scouts and separate himself from other QB prospects. He fits the mold of the solid, but yet not spectacular QB prospect. He had a solid offensive line, and good skilled position players along side him at USC and he will need the same type of mixture of teammates at the next level if he is to achieve success. He is more NFL ready than most of the other collegiate QB prospects entering the 2008 NFL Draft, so he should here is name called sometime during the 3rd-4th round portion of the draft.

:laugh: Johnson played as a mobile QB in the WAC and has little to no WCO experience. Booty on the other hand has 2 years of top flight experience in the Pac-10 and you say "ewww".

:laugh:

Booty was average on a team full of studs.

Average surrounded by good talent.

"have you seen that matt hasselbeck commercial where he is reading plays? like i recognize all of those terms from our offense. We run a pro-style West Coast O. "

quote from Johnson himself....looks like ur a little lacking with ur info

Nope that's a quote from the USD kid I chatted with. Josh Johnson never said that.

Booty was average on a team full of studs.

Average surrounded by good talent.

Really? :rolleyes:

Who were his WR's last year?

Who were his RB's?

He had a good/great O-line, a cadre of good RB's and Fred Davis at TE.

Plus he knows the system back and forth already.

He's a better pick than Johnson by far.

Did anyone see Josh Johnson, the QB out of San Diego at the combine? He seems to have a strong and acurate arm. And he might be a steal in the later rounds (I saw him projected to go in the 5th round. I was just wondering what any of you thought. Possible #2 of the future?

I usually tend to dislike the ultra-mobile QB's that get compared to Vick, because they usually use their mobility instead of their arms and brains. But this kid showed a good arm.

Did anyone see Josh Johnson, the QB out of San Diego at the combine? He seems to have a strong and acurate arm. And he might be a steal in the later rounds (I saw him projected to go in the 5th round. I was just wondering what any of you thought. Possible #2 of the future?

I usually tend to dislike the ultra-mobile QB's that get compared to Vick, because they usually use their mobility instead of their arms and brains. But this kid showed a good arm.

He is an intriguing prospect. Most scouts think he will be drafted in the 3rd round.

I would like to see the Skins draft him, but in the 3rd may be to high for us.

Ran the fastest 40 time of quarterbacks and threw the ball well. Looks like a good quarterback. He will go somewhere in the third round. But I don't think we'll pick him up. We have Campbell and we do need a third string QB even though Jim Zorn hasn't ruled out bringing Brunell back we know it won't happen. I'd like to see us bring Hollenbach back though for third string.

Archived