Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting Read on West Coast Offense

PlayAction

West Coast offenses are weak in the East during Nov-Jan. Need Power football during cold months. I hate the WC offense personally because timing is so crucial. I hate the check-downs and Campbell will have alot of frustration with recievers not getting past the 1st down marker. Get ready for alot of meaningless completions and fantasy footballers picking up Campbell. I hope its not because we are behind alot and have to throw our way lossed leads in the 4th quarter. The best offenses are WC in domes. The best winning offenses are power based in the latter part of the season. Except the Colts in 2005 when was the last team to win a SB entirely WC? 49ers? 94?

Fail and fail hard.

49ers played for years at Candlestick Park in the 80s during their championship runs. Candlestick is right next to the bay and generates winds that make anything at the Meadowlands look like a summer breeze.

Add to the fact that the Pats used a WCO variant for their first two SB's not to mention that you can actually run in the WCO offense (what a shock! :rolleyes: ) and your assumption fails.

So you agree the niners were the measure of a west coast offense. Hall of fame QB WR awesome all pro RB TE and FB and half the line were PRO- Bowlers. I guess we are just like them so we should have no problem right? I hope it works and to the Eagles in the East with all them East championships (while Dallas and Washington were in a drought) note the 6-10 and 5-11 seasons between us both. I guess you would also have to remember the Niners in a weak division had more upset playoff losses at home at candlestick than we did 84 to the Bears. The Pats run a version of it not the whole shebang. I am open to a good argument but am still unconvinced the WC is worthy in the NFC East. Power beat the Pats on a level calm playing field. In order to beat a WC you only need good pressure and the whole thing comes unraveled. The WC requires alot of unity and talent. My opinion is that in order to operate on all cylinders the WC need superior talent and a team that stays together for a long time. (AS any system does) but I don't think it has the all important durability factor that traditional pro sets have because of the musical chairs that occurs in todays NFL. So far the WC sounds great but will our power team fit the mold? WC = Finess. I don't see our pass blocking or QB ability meeting any finess standards the WC requires.

I am open to a good argument but am still unconvinced the WC is worthy in the NFC East. Power beat the Pats on a level calm playing field. In order to beat a WC you only need good pressure and the whole thing comes unraveled.

-As you have said you believe power beat the Pats on a level calm playing field. This is true however it was not only the the power of the Giants D-Line, that helped the Giants win the game. I believe and if you actually watch the Superbowl again you'll probably see that the physical play of the Giants DB's was really the major factor. Because you have to take into consideration the WCO is based on 3 and 5 step drops which, literally almost any line can block for in the league, however when the DB's were getting a good jam on the WR's Brady was forced to hold on to the ball for a longer period allowing the Giants INCREDIBLE pass rush to get there. But the WCO is based on the idea that the QB should hardly ever be sacked beacus he is only doing 3/5 step drops and also has his Rb's in the flat. What my main point is, is that how to disrupt a WCO is not necessarily to get at the qb, but to get at the WR's and throw off their timing, which is extrmely important in a WCO.

The WC requires alot of unity and talent. My opinion is that in order to operate on all cylinders the WC need superior talent and a team that stays together for a long time. (AS any system does)

-So your saying when good players stay together for a long time the team operates on all cylinders?

-The only position I believe that is extremely important to have superior and where we may struggle in the WCO is the QB. Qb's are expected to make accurate reads and touch passes, from what it appears this is not Jason's forte, but I guess will see what Zorn can mold him into.

Cambell will be fine. He does need to work on going over the top. He had Moss WIDE open a couple of times and just WAY over threw it. Everyone keeps talking about a big reciever. We just need a guy with good hands not afraid to go over the middle. Look at Engram's success last season. I mean the best receiver the Seahawks have had during the Holmgren era was D.Jackson. Not a "Big receiver" at 5'11" at 206lbs. K.Robinson was on the verge of being their "Playmaker" before his DWI problems. K-ROB is only 6'1". I hope we don't give up on the WCO in say a season or 2, COUGH Dan COUGH!!

So far the WC sounds great but will our power team fit the mold? WC = Finess. I don't see our pass blocking or QB ability meeting any finess standards the WC requires.

we don't have a power football team, we tried to run a power type of offense, but we weren't successful at it. We have some power players, we have some "not so power players" who we tried to mold into "power players", etc.

I think all of us, myself included, need to take a look at the bigger picture. We need to try and look at this from the outside in, and not get so caught up in the "terms" and "descriptions" and "characteristics" that are being thrown around about successful football players at their respective positions and as to how and why a WCO is successful/unsuccessful, etc.

We can all argue till we are blue in the face, but to also answer that question about super bowl champions and the WCO ... the Broncos come to mind, the Packers come to mind, The Buccaneers come to mind ... and yes the Pats come to mind.

All of these teams have at least taken some of the WCO principles and used that as a basis for devising an offensive game plan.

The coaches who are able to devise a game plan using WCO principles, and tweak/adjust it to fit their personnel are usually the most successful. An example is Seattle, despite there ass whooping by GB, they have been pretty consistent winners over the last 4-5 years ... they have changed their offensive attack from one game to the next, and from one season to another.

Zorn will not be running Bill Walsh's WCO ... he will be creating his own system and his own game plans. Hopefully he can fully evaluate the talent already ion this team, can see the potential of players already here that has not been tapped, and can recognize what types of players we need to add in the future.

HTTR!

Good effort, but that article is garbage. They basically describe the ideal characteristics for any player in any system by position....for example, a wide receiver that is not in the west coast offense shouldn't have good hands, strength, and agility?

There exists alot of confusion on what the west coast offense really is...in fact, i'm not so sure the west coast offense is even a particular system, but rather a broad category with many different subsets and hybridizations that fall under its umbrella. let's just leave it to zorn to obtain the best personnel for the kind of offense he wants to run.

Archived