Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Herzog vs Michaels. Who is the voice of our Skins?

Scamp1

On a related subject, I hate the Eagles and all of their fanbase.

However, from when I've heard their radio team on NFL Films programming, they've been pretty good. I don't remember the play-by-play man's name, but I believe their color guy is Mike Quick. Both guys have good chemistry and I enjoy listening to them even if it's for Eagles subject matter. I watch a lot of NFL Films and Network in case you couldn't tell.

Just think Larry {the underling} has gone under the radar to long. Whats your thoughts on Dannys front man compared to the Frank. To this day, I cant beleive I have to listen to those lame --- commentators on Fox . Because Larry annoys me enough that Sonny & Sam cant make up the slack. Beleive me I gave Larry a chance but ,geeez after about 5 mins of him you got the feeling your in a used car lot with the salesman from hell. Sonny and Sam never seem to recognize him in the booth or while conversating during the game. NO chemistry. Am I alone on this or anybody else feel the same. :2cents: :logo:

Herzog will always be the best for the Redskins, just like Ron Weber was the best for the Capitals.

I've never heard Frank say, "Kozlowski catches it and he's out to the EIGHTY YARD LINE!"

Now I dont know about you, but I've never heard of the 80 yard line in a game of football in my life, but Larry said it...

Larry is the brown-nosing egomaniac that doesnt deserve to be in that booth over Frank. Sonny Sam and Frank had the best chemistry and that will never be matched. If it is, we probably wont be alive to hear it.

:2cents:

On a related subject, I hate the Eagles and all of their fanbase.

However, from when I've heard their radio team on NFL Films programming, they've been pretty good. I don't remember the play-by-play man's name, but I believe their color guy is Mike Quick. Both guys have good chemistry and I enjoy listening to them even if it's for Eagles subject matter. I watch a lot of NFL Films and Network in case you couldn't tell.

Philly's play-by-play guy is Merrill Reese. I've heard a few Eagles games while up there and, you're right, they're pretty good. I think they could use a third though.

Also, here are my Top 3 reasons why I don't like Larry Michael:

3. He's got a good voice, but it's "tool"ish. Like a used car salesman.

2. He "builds up" calls (at the 15. The 20! THE 25!) making it sound like the runner/receiver is getting away, only to end it rather calmly. (And he's taken down at the 26 yard line.)

1. His calls are late. I can almost always tell by the crowd reaction what has happened before he actually tells us.

He'ld be a better TV guy.

I do beleive Larry Michael was running WJFK at the time. Hence why Herzog was fired and Michael is now the announcer. Nice try to make every look good, but Herzog. BTW the team is the end all be all when it comes to choosing their announcers. So ultimately the team did fire him.

Michael wasn't running WJFK, he was employed by them, as well as Notre Dame and he was hired by them to take over for Herzog after he was let go.

Despite recently being hired by the Redskins to be executive producer for the team's broadcast properties, Larry Michael will keep his job as the play-by-play announcer on WJFK-FM.

"That's one of the joys of my life," said Michael, who replaced longtime announcer Frank Herzog at the position in February 2004.

"I've still got a job at WJFK. I'm departing Westwood One to work for the Redskins. WJFK and Westwood One are like two separate entities."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64248-2005Mar24.html

Snyder and the Redskins dictated what WJFK could and could not do with the redskins radio..............
According to the Washington Post, Herzog was told he was let go because the station wanted to save money...and because they wanted the sports anchor who reports on the Redskins all week, to be a member of the Redskins announcing team.

http://www.wtop.com/index.php?sid=173947&nid=293

Managers at WUSA-TV (Channel 9) have told Frank Herzog they will not renew his contract when it expires in the fall, setting the stage for yet another shakeup in the CBS affiliate's sports department. The move comes about five months after WJFK-FM (106.7) replaced Mr. Herzog with Larry Michael as the play-by-play man for its Washington Redskins broadcasts

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5244/is_200407/ai_n19577772

Five months after WJFK radio announced it was pulling the longtime play-by-play voice of the Washington Redskins from the broadcast team, WUSA (Channel 9) has informed him that he's out of a job as the station's main sports anchor when his contract expires at the end of November, according to several sources.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56629-2004Jul16.html

Herzog. It is a real shame that I only got interested in the Redskins in 2000 so I got the last 3 or 4 years of the Herzog era. However , Herzog was one of the first broadcasters that I ever heard call football on the radio (along with the Ravens' Scott Garceau) , and I was very displeased when he was replaced. I don't think Larry is as bad as many think he is , but he is no Herzog.

Archived