Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Lazor in Seattle/Breaux, Burns siutation

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 4:19 PM ET, 02/ 5/2008

Bill Lazor Interviewing In Seattle

Redskins quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor is in Seattle today to interview for the same position there, league sources said (the position vacated when Seahawks QB Coach Jim Zorn became the offensive coordinator here). Lazor's position is tenuous at best with the Redskins, with him unlikely to retain his title and in limbo until a head coach is named. Working under Mike Holmgren would not be easy, but Bill is a driven young coach and there are not too many options out there.

Seattle is a good team with a Pro Bowl QB and he could learn a lot about that.

Also heard that Bob Saunders, the son of former associate head coach Al Saunders, has cleaned out his office hear and left the organization as expected. He's likely to his father in St. Louis, where Al Saunders is the new offensive coordinator. Bob Saunders had one year left on his contract. If Lazor left it would give Zorn at least two positions to play with (though he expects to in essence be the QB coach)...

Click link for full entry

Has their been any discussion about GW taking any of his staff with him? Gray comes to mind...

They are under contract with us, and would need permission to leave. The current situation is they are all being retained by Blache.

The Redskins have not bestowed a new title on Don Breaux, the former offensive coordinator, but he is expected to be given a consultant position, with Gibbs contacting Zorn recently to make a case for Breaux and Jack Burns, two of his longtime assistants who did not coach a specific position with the Redskins the last few years..

No offense to Breaux and Burns, but I think Zorn should bring in some of his own people.

I honestly don't think JC progressed that much this season

he had a solid season but just average

and in clutch situations he seems to make a lot of mistakes (something hasselbeck doesnt do, so hopefully zorn can calm JC down some, or at least call plays that dont make JC force anything)

But what about all that talk that JC had progressed so much this past season? You think Lazor had a little bit of something to do with it?

Not really. The progress I saw from Campbell came in his comfort with running the plays. The smaller intangibales such as mechanics etc, the things I'd expect a QB coach to work on, didn't seem to improve.

I certainly won't bash Lazor because I felt that he always communicated well with Jason, and that he was in here busting his butt along with Campbell this summer.

Obviously, working for Mike Holmgren is difficult, but I'm somewhat suprised we didn't try to retain him for Jason sake. Were switching phiosphies on the offensive side of the ball, but that has nothing to do with Quarterback mechanics. Mechanics at the quarterback position along with breaking down film are basically the same procedure around the entire league. At this point you would have to think they are going to bring in a QB coach with expertise in the West Coast scheme.

Zorn is clearly in charge of this offense. He of course is waiting for the HC and then will take direction from him and fill out his staff.

We're not looking for a Offensive or Defensive minded head coach, we are looking for a leader, a true Head Coach.

If Lazor goes to Seattle, will M. Hasselbeck turn back into Tim Rattay? On the otherhand, for him to work under Holmgren for this (last year?) should only help in his career development.

No offense to Lazor (too late perhaps), but the best grade I can give him from his time here is "incomplete".

If Lazor goes to Seattle, will M. Hasselbeck turn back into Tim Rattay? On the otherhand, for him to work under Holmgren for this (last year?) should only help in his career development.

No offense to Lazor (too late perhaps), but the best grade I can give him from his time here is "incomplete".

Or in JC case "intercept".:D

Archived