Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Edwards Quits '08 Race

#98QBKiller

Edwards will endorse Obama. I can even see and Obama/Edwards Dem ticket. They would wipe the floor regardless of who took the GOP ticket. They could even take some red Southern states.

I don't know if Edwards wants to subject himself as a second fiddle again. There were a lot of issues that Edwards had with how Kerry and his people ran the campaign. I don't think he wants to put himself in a similar situation.

She needed him to split the antiHillary vote with Obama next Tuesday.

Yep. I'm hoping this is part of the reason he's decided to throw in the towel. This will definetly help Obama more than hurt him. I think if Edwards endorses anyone it will be Obama.

Unfortunately this will probably send the message to future candidates that running a 'clean' campaign doesn't work anymore. We should probably expect worse tactics in '12.

Obama has run a remarkably clean campaign for months now, marred by a few snarky comments by a few people associated with him during a single 4 day stretch. All of his ads are positive, all of his speeches are positive. His themes and tactics are not at all underhanded.

If that is a "dirty" campaign, then what is a clean one?

Obama has run a remarkably clean campaign for months now, marred by a few snarky comments by a few people associated with him during a single 4 day stretch. All of his ads are positive, all of his speeches are positive. His themes and tactics are not at all underhanded.

If that is a "dirty" campaign, then what is a clean one?

Good point.

as with everything on here- people think they are experts on something because they read message boards.

Perhaps one here can explain why polls in the South show that the second choice of Edward's voters is NOT Obambi but Clinton?!

You are forgetting that there are those who don't want Obama to win and thus went with Edward's because they weren't in love with Hillary. Now they have no choice.

If the polls show Obama closing with Clinton it is not because Edward's is out, it is because even democrats don't really like Hillary Clinton..

as with everything on here- people think they are experts on something because they read message boards.

Perhaps one here can explain why polls in the South show that the second choice of Edward's voters is NOT Obambi but Clinton?!

You are forgetting that there are those who don't want Obama to win and thus went with Edward's because they weren't in love with Hillary. Now they have no choice.

If the polls show Obama closing with Clinton it is not because Edward's is out, it is because even democrats don't really like Hillary Clinton..

So, people were smart enough to vote for Edwards because they didn't want Obama to win, and they didn't want Hillary. But, too dumb to realize that it would come down to those two regardless?

But I want to say this to everyone: with Elizabeth, with my family, with my friends, with all of you and all of your support, this son of a millworker's gonna be just fine. Our job now is to make certain that America will be fine.

And I want to thank everyone who has worked so hard – all those who have volunteered, my dedicated campaign staff who have worked absolutely tirelessly in this campaign.

And I want to say a personal word to those I've seen literally in the last few days – those I saw in Oklahoma yesterday, in Missouri, last night in Minnesota – who came to me and said don't forget us. Speak for us. We need your voice. I want you to know that you almost changed my mind, because I hear your voice, I feel you, and your cause it our cause. Your country needs you – every single one of you.

All of you who have been involved in this campaign and this movement for change and this cause, we need you. It is in our hour of need that your country needs you. Don't turn away, because we have not just a city of New Orleans to rebuild. We have an American house to rebuild.

This work goes on. It goes on right here in Musicians' Village. There are homes to build here, and in neighborhoods all along the Gulf. The work goes on for the students in crumbling schools just yearning for a chance to get ahead. It goes on for day care workers, for steel workers risking their lives in cities all across this country. And the work goes on for two hundred thousand men and women who wore the uniform of the United States of America, proud veterans, who go to sleep every night under bridges, or in shelters, or on grates, just as the people we saw on the way here today. Their cause is our cause.

Their struggle is our struggle. Their dreams are our dreams.

Do not turn away from these great struggles before us. Do not give up on the causes that we have fought for. Do not walk away from what's possible, because it's time for all of us, all of us together, to make the two Americas one.

Thank you. God bless you, and let's go to work. Thank you all very much.

http://www.johnedwards.com/news/press-releases/20080130/

Archived