Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

why no more talk about schwartz?

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

Rex Ryan

The former Ravens defensive coordinator - and possibly future Ravens defensive coordinator - has been talked about among many NFL people as a possible replacement for Gregg Williams should Jim Fassel get the job. Ryan has ties to Vinny Cerrato and his name has come up frequently during this hiring process.

However, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, Ryan's contract stats has been reported incorrectly. It's been widely reported that Ryan was fired along with the rest of Baltimore's staff. But while it's true that Ryan is free to interview for any head coaching jobs - and he's still in play in Atltanta (who isnt't at this point? what a debacle the Falcons' situation has become), the Ravens could still block any lateral move, according to a source.

Ryan remains Baltimore's property as a defensive coordinator, and could ask for compensation should another team want Ryan to run its defense. The Ravens players wanted Ryan to get the head coaching job there and there is a strong belief Baltimore would like to retain him as defensive coordinator. So I doubt they'll just let him walk down 95. Now, Ryan might also want to push for a change of venau as well given he was passed over for the head gig. They'll have to work some things out, obviously. And the Redskins could try to get creative with some new titles for him - a specialty round here - but the situation is certainly more complicated than it would seem on the surface.

Redskins coaches still have been told nothing about the coaching vacancy and no word given to any candidates recently. A decision could come today perhaps. Sources said there was a brief conversation between Jim Schwartz's represenatives and the Redskins Sunday night but numerous parties invovled in the search, connected to numerous candidates, said they have been told essentially nothing in the last day.

Stay tuned.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Yeah, go read the Titans messege boards and see how much they are hoping that we or the Falcons pick him up.

everyone is going to have up and down opinions about the guy, but he just finished the season with the 5th ranked defense, theyve drafted well on defense (im assuming he had SOME input on who was taken defensively) and hes young. the titans lose games because vince young blows, not because their defense is bad.

everyone is going to have up and down opinions about the guy, but he just finished the season with the 5th ranked defense, theyve drafted well on defense (im assuming he had SOME input on who was taken defensively) and hes young. the titans lose games because vince young blows, not because their defense is bad.

Not to mention he had input in player personell while working under Bill Belichick in Cleveland

Young, hungary, intelligent, with some great mentors, just the guy this team needs

I can't understand what people saw in Schwartz...

Last year, the Redskins lost their starting FS (and best player), starting OLB, starting CB and had the same average per catch on defense and a better average per run as the Titans (while playing the 2nd hardest SOS in the league). Why would you bring in someone who probably won't make a positive difference to be your head coach? If you are going with Schwartz, why not just hire Gregg Williams? I don't see anything "smarter" about him than Gregg Williams. It's just hiring young for the sake of youth.

Im a surprised myself that Schwartz name hasnt been mentioned more...In a perfect world I thought Greg Williams would get the job, and that they would keep Al, and bring in Jim to run the Defense.

This certainly isn't a perfect world, and with every passing hour it looks like Jim Fassel will be the next head coach of the Washington Redskins.

I can't understand what people saw in Schwartz...

Last year, the Redskins lost their starting FS (and best player), starting OLB, starting CB and had the same average per catch on defense and a better average per run as the Titans (while playing the 2nd hardest SOS in the league). Why would you bring in someone who probably won't make a positive difference to be your head coach? If you are going with Schwartz, why not just hire Gregg Williams? I don't see anything "smarter" about him than Gregg Williams. It's just hiring young for the sake of youth.

because hes only 42. that means if he panned out, he could potentially coach for 20 years. youth potentially means real stability if he worked out. he already knows williams. why some of you guys discredit youth is crazy. if lane kiffin works out for the raiders, they could have a coach for 30 years. all we do is talk about stability and keeping the continuity, yet we want to hire 60 year old coaches? it makes no sense.

give the young guy a shot, if he fails, then so be it. at least we took a shot. rather fail with youth than fail with a 60 year old.

I have also been on the Schwartz bandwagon

No clue why they didnt make a move for him

As far as we know, he's the only candidate thus far who can match Belichick's IQ. Like Belichick he was an economics major -- graduated with honors from Georgetown. He's a favorite of the guys at footballoutsiders.com because he's one of the few NFL coaches who actually understands statistics, the use and misuse thereof.

As far as we know, he's the only candidate thus far who can match Belichick's IQ. Like Belichick he was an economics major -- graduated with honors from Georgetown. He's a favorite of the guys at footballoutsiders.com because he's one of the few NFL coaches who actually understands statistics, the use and misuse thereof.

hes obviously a smart guy, so theres no way him and vinny could work together.

Archived