Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports says Jackson with 21st Pick

CommishDC

I believe it when I see it. We haven't given DL a serious consideration in the draft in almost a decade.

I agree. I would be soooo nice to have a nasty D line. One that pushes people around and gives you 4-5 sacks per game. I know that is a lot to ask but it would make our already decent secondary shine. We could go for CB in 2009.

I would love the skins to take Jackson. DeShaun Jackson from Cal. Lawrence Jackson is another USC bust in the making.

DeSean Jackson? 5'11 172 lbs. No wonder he can apparently run a 4.29. Unless he puts on at least 20 lbs of muscle he is going to snap like a twig the first time he gets a big hit put on him in the NFL. Do we really need another little burner?

If we really want to go WR in the 1st I think it would be Sweed or Kelly. Bowman is a tough call as far as where he'll go. But then again I guess everyone is until the combine rolls around. But all 3 of those guys are big, quick for their size, very athletic and have great hands. We don't need another smurf. We need a big, physical WR who can get separation at the LOS, move the chains, and be a red zone target.

Anyway, I think Lawrence Jackson is a bit of a reach there. I've seen him play and he was good but not that impressive. To be honest I really like the kid Phillip Merling DE from Clemson, who I think might be available when we pick in the 2nd. 6'5 275, big time motor, very quick for his size, good pass rusher, good against the run. I think he is at least as good as Jackson if not better. And no, I'm not a Clemson fan but I've watched him play and the guy is a beast.

Mainly looking at this draft, there are 4 DEs drafted before this pick. I'm not convinced that Jackson is that good a pick, but combine does change things. Flowers and Jenkins both available if we dont'; take one of them we should trade down, add another 2nd and a 4th or 5th and go from there :D

I've not seen too many USC games, but this Jackson isn't a name that really jumped out at me during the Rose Bowl. Anyone have his stats?

Let me tell you something Jackson is all out, he is a player. I have seen a lot of USC games and he can dominate from the DE position. He is a complete DE.

reasons for liking this kid:

1. started all four years. Named to All PAC-10 First team in 2005.

2. 25.5 sacks in his career

3. over 40 TFL. He stops the run too.

4. Already has a great nickname (Lo-Jack) so we don't have to think of one.

5. Loves the spotlight, as all good DE's should:

lojackespnmz3.jpg

Draft him. I love Phillip Daniels but his shelf life is just about up as a starter.

That kind of thinking is what has us floundering.

You don't take the BPA just because, he needs to fit the position that is of need. The BPA of a needed position always trumps the BPA in general.

Same analogy i used last year. Why buy a shiny new sports car when the roof of your house is leaking...

Exactly, you don't strictly use BPA just like you don't strictly use team need. You trade off between the two based upon how big your needs are and what talent is on the draft board. That absolutist talk about BPA is what gets teams like the Giants to have to start a DE like Kiwanuka at OLB. :rolleyes:

Somewhere, common sense has to intervene.

DeSean Jackson? 5'11 172 lbs. No wonder he can apparently run a 4.29. Unless he puts on at least 20 lbs of muscle he is going to snap like a twig the first time he gets a big hit put on him in the NFL. Do we really need another little burner?

The guy is going to be a playmaker in the NFL. You can never have too much speed on a team. He would be a huge upgrade over Rock and ARE in the return game.

I also hate Cal, but you have to be impressed with DeShaun. The kid can play.

He's got great skills, but I'm very concerned about his size/strength, especially on a team where we can't count on hiding him in the slot or on a 2nd or 3rd QB.

I won't say it's a lousy pick, but I'm concerned. I also think that we have a bigger need at DE than at WR, though I know that some disagree with me on that.

The guy is going to be a playmaker in the NFL. You can never have too much speed on a team. He would be a huge upgrade over Rock and ARE in the return game.

So you want to use our 1st round pick on a kick returner? At his size the only thing he'll be safe doing as a WR is go routes. Like I said, he is going to have to put on some serious muscle mass if he wants to stay healthy. Hell, Hester is considered very small and he is about 15 lbs heavier than DeSean Jackson at the same height. I'm not saying he'll be a bust, I'm sure he'll be right for some team that has a need for a little burner type. But that is pretty much all we have. There are big bodied WRs in this draft who I think are going to be playmakers in the NFL as well.

So you want to use our 1st round pick on a kick returner? At his size the only thing he'll be safe doing as a WR is go routes. Like I said, he is going to have to put on some serious muscle mass if he wants to stay healthy. Hell, Hester is considered very small and he is about 15 lbs heavier than DeSean Jackson at the same height. I'm not saying he'll be a bust, I'm sure he'll be right for some team that has a need for a little burner type. But that is pretty much all we have. There are big bodied WRs in this draft who I think are going to be playmakers in the NFL as well.

If the kid went to USC, he would have won the Heisman this year. He runs great routes has incredible speed and is a guy the other team has to account for. If he's there at 21, it would be a good pick.

If the kid went to USC, he would have won the Heisman this year. He runs great routes has incredible speed and is a guy the other team has to account for. If he's there at 21, it would be a good pick.

That's what they said about Desmond Howard. Just sayin'.

If we didn't have Brian Mitchell, Desmond would have ended up doing okay here. He was behind Monk, Clark and Sanders at Wr and behind B Mitch in the return game. He was a SB MVP.

Now you're just being silly. Howard couldn't get off the line of scrimmage which is why he demonstrated, time and again, with multiple teams that he couldn't hack it at WR. This is precisely the problem I'm seeing with Jackson, who again I do like.

He won a Super Bowl MVP (an award for a performance in only one game, of course) for his work as a KR and PR. Kudos to him for that, but you don't draft such a guy in the first round.

Let me tell you something Jackson is all out, he is a player. I have seen a lot of USC games and he can dominate from the DE position. He is a complete DE.

If that's the case then I'd not be upset drafting him, I'm just not sure about him is all. The guys suggesting the guy from cal have me flustered though. NO NO NO... Do I need to say more? :D

Archived