Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mora Withdraws Name From D.C. Coach Search (pft-espn etc./merged)

daveakl

:whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew: :whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew::whew: :whew:...assuming it turns out to be true. :paranoid:

Think it will be GW but if they brought meeks back for more on Friday..... makes ou wonder if they want him as a DC but that would be a lateral move for him.. Only way he takes the DC is if he can't work with Caldwell in Indy. Comments?

To tell you the truth, I view this as a bad omen.

Either the Skins offered him the job and he didn't really want it and went back to Seattle with the offer and Seattle basically told him to hang tight because this job (his dream job) will be his. This scenario is bad because first, Snyder actually thought Mora would be a good hire and second, now that he's rejected the offer the entire process starts over again.

or

This could also mean that Mora was interested in the Skins job and that no HC job is waiting for him in Seattle but after Mora got a load of what Dan Snyder had in mind in terms of his (Snyder/Cerrato) role would be and/or given an edict on such things as who his coaches will be etc, Mora said thanks but no thanks and removed himself from consideration immediately.

The scenario that seems highly unlikely is the one most Skins fans seem to hope for and that is the one that has Snyder already settled on Williams and yet he brings in a guy like Mora and during the two day interview basically gives off the impression that Williams has the job and Mora was brought out here for no particular reason. So Mora, to save face, pulls his name before being "rejected" in public by Williams being hired.

I just don't see Mora being contacted and interviewed if he wasn't a serious canidate or if Snyder has settled on Williams already. And I sure as hell don't think that if everything went well (Snyder making a good case for the organizational structure he envisions with Mora onboard), Mora would withdraw his name so quickly from consideration.

To tell you the truth, I view this as a bad omen.

Either the Skins offered him the job and he didn't really want it and went back to Seattle with the offer and Seattle basically told him to hang tight because this job (his dream job) will be his. This scenario is bad because first, Snyder actually thought Mora would be a good hire and second, now that he's rejected the offer the entire process starts over again.

or

This could also mean that Mora was interested in the Skins job and that no HC job is waiting for him in Seattle but after Mora got a load of what Dan Snyder had in mind in terms of his (Snyder/Cerrato) role would be and/or given an edict on such things as who his coaches will be etc, Mora said thanks but no thanks and removed himself from consideration immediately.

The scenario that seems highly unlikely is the one most Skins fans seem to hope for and that is the one that has Snyder already settled on Williams and yet he brings in a guy like Mora and during the two day interview basically gives off the impression that Williams has the job and Mora was brought out here for no particular reason. So Mora, to save face, pulls his name before being "rejected" in public by Williams being hired.

I just don't see Mora being contacted and interviewed if he wasn't a serious canidate or if Snyder has settled on Williams already. And I sure as hell don't think that if everything went well (Snyder making a good case for the organizational structure he envisions with Mora onboard), Mora would withdraw his name so quickly from consideration.

In actuality, none of us really knows what goes on behind closed doors.

I think GW may be the candidate........and the Snyder did NOT "settle" on him. Mora may have a better opportunity in Seattle.

Talking to Mora even if we had everything locked up with GW makes sense. We just lost to Seattle in the playoffs AND we play them next year.

Why not pick the brain of Mora to see what we didn't do last year??

I think with that wink wink, nudge nudge move, Mora gets to look good by us "seriously considering" him and he walks away on his own terms. Better to rescind your name than to be turned down.

I think a person would want to withdraw his name BEFORE it came out that he wasnt going to get the job.

Kinda like resigning BEFORE you are fired.

;)

I think with that wink wink, nudge nudge move, Mora gets to look good by us "seriously considering" him and he walks away on his own terms. Better to rescind your name than to be turned down.

Makes sense to me.

Oh wait...........I said it too.

;););)

Mora is a major under achiever and this is terrific news. He just doesnt look or act like he could be a Redskin type core HC. He and the Danny probably didnt hit it off and took his name out of the hat when it became clear to him he would not get it. :mad:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3203254

Citing desire to stay in Seattle, Mora pulls out of Redskins' coaching search

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: January 18, 2008, 6:43 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Seattle Seahawks defensive backs coach Jim Mora pulled his name out of consideration for the Washington Redskins head coaching job on Friday afternoon.

Mora, who interviewed with the Redskins on Wednesday and Thursday, called Redskins owner Dan Snyder on Friday and said he preferred to stay in Seattle for family reasons. Mora has his family in Seattle and felt he didn't want to uproot it after he was fired as the Falcons' head coach last year.

"I want to thank the Redskins organization and owner Daniel Snyder for the opportunity to interview for the head coaching position," Mora said in a statement released by the Seahawks.

"The process reconfirmed that the quality of life for my family in Seattle is my first priority. This past year has been a great experience both professionally and personally for myself, my wife Shannon, and our kids. We are very happy members of this community and the Seattle Seahawks organization."

Mora is in the running for the Seahawks' head coaching job if Mike Holmgren decides to retire next week. Holmgren is taking the weekend to think about whether or not he wants to coach next year.

Mora played linebacker in college at the University of Washington and returned to the Pacific Northwest last year to become Seattle's defensive backs coach after he was fired by the Falcons. He went 27-23 over three seasons with Atlanta.

Mora, as well as Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks, were part of the first round of the Redskins' interviews to replace departed coach Joe Gibbs, who retired from the NFL on Jan. 8.

Mora interviewed with Snyder on Wednesday in Potomac, Md., and spent the night in Snyder's guesthouse in the Washington area after Snyder sent a plane to bring him from Seattle.

Meeks was to spend Thursday night in the same guesthouse and have a second interview Friday, both of which have been routine procedure during Snyder's coaching search.

Snyder has remained in the Washington area during the entire coaching process, conducting each formal interview at his home after the candidate is flown to Washington on one of his private planes.

Meeks brings to five the number of interviewed candidates, including Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz and Redskins assistant Gregg Williams. Williams has met with the owner on four occasions, although some sessions have been less formal than others.

One other candidate, whose name has not been made public, has also been interviewed.

Snyder and vice president for football operations Vinny Cerrato planned to spend much of Friday evaluating their candidates. The owner was then to decide whether to invite any of the five back for another interview or whether to pursue other names on his list.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Seahawk fans are saying that mora just didn't want to coach here, as well as comparing the redskins to the situation with the falcons. I believe one of them said, who would want to be a coach of worthless organization. So I joined and pasted that picture of the empty trophy case next to the skin's three superbowls and I got banned.

Archived