Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

stupid trend

Skins247

I know this isn't a new thing, per se. But does anyone else notice that nearly every player in the GB-Sea game are playing without sleeves? Favre is about the only smart one out there. Who thought this was a good idea, to play in sub-freezing temps, with snow coming down like rain? I know some of them, namely the defensive lineman, maybe do it so that the offensive lineman have less to grab on to. Yeah, I get that. But the majority of them do it to make themselves appear tough. Guys, we KNOW you're tough. You don't get to that level without being tough. But to play in conditions like that, sleeveless, is beyond stupid to me. I remember about 10 or so years ago, only a few guys did it. I think Reggie White was probably the first guy I remember playing without them, in these conditions. And I remember the announcers commentating on it. Much as im doing now. Anyway, is it just me or is that dumb?

could be a simple reason for it.

now i know its not exactly the same....but i had a martial arts test in tennessee in december when it was freezing. and the gym took forever for the heat to kick in. so i threw on some long sleeve under armor under my gi. that lasted for about five minutes. cuz after just a quick warmup then standing there running a test, i was burning up. but that was in about 40 degrees weather.

so you have to figure when the guys are out on the field they are keeping warm with their moving around. so wearing long sleeves might make them too warm. ive heard that as a reason from some players ive talked to before.

so could be that for most of them.

Maybe it has nothing to do with looking tough?

Once you start playing, your not going to be very cold. The only time sleeves are totally necessary is during pre-game warm-ups. After that, if you're more comfortable without sleeves, then you really don't need them. At least that's how I always felt in both football and lacrosse. I'm pretty far from a tough guy.

When I used to play in little league/high school we never wore sleeves either, in wet conditions they just get wet and make you cold/heavier anyways, and in normal cold conditions they can get hot after a while. Under armor was different though, we would wear that if we had it because it was more like a 2nd skin.

Maybe it has nothing to do with looking tough?

Once you start playing, your not going to be very cold. The only time sleeves are totally necessary is during pre-game warm-ups. After that, if you're more comfortable without sleeves, then you really don't need them. At least that's how I always felt in both football and lacrosse. I'm pretty far from a tough guy.

Yeah, I understand that theory. But the thing is, when its below freezing you're never really going to feel "warm". I don't care what anyone says there. Your body can't block it out when its that cold. I still think its that they wanna be tough. And I'll even go as far to say that now I think its gotten to the point where if you do wear sleeves you take a chance on getting ribbed by the other team. Again, its stupid. But its a copy-cat league.

When I used to play in little league/high school we never wore sleeves either, in wet conditions they just get wet and make you cold/heavier anyways, and in normal cold conditions they can get hot after a while. Under armor was different though, we would wear that if we had it because it was more like a 2nd skin.

Yeah, well I was mainly talking about the Under Armor stuff. Its also very tight and form-fitting. Like you said, its not like its gonna be a nusiance once it gets wet.

The "toughness" issue is really nothing more than an assumption on your part. Just because you wouldn't/couldn't personally do it doesn't mean they're stupid. It's nothing new, players have been doing that for decades--remember the Freezer Bowl between Cincinnati and San Diego?

I did PT in Germany in December in shorts and t-shirt when I was in the Army.

Trust me, you're asstastically cold in the beginning but at the end, you're warm and steam is rising from your head.

This goes for you and the others that basically said the same thing. Trust me, I know once you start moving around and playing you're going to get a little warmer. You're not talking to just anyone, here. I played the game all growing up, through high school. Yeah, I get all that. But, again, when the temps get below "freezing", which is what I was talking about, you can only stay so warm. I'm standing by my theory that its just a "tough guy act". Because I haven't had anyone post anything that would make me think any differently. Needless to say, Favre is as tough a competitor as anyone. As evidenced by his consecutive games streak, playing through injuries, etc. And he was about the only smart one out there today. Bunch of dummies. :laugh:

The "toughness" issue is really nothing more than an assumption on your part. Just because you wouldn't/couldn't personally do it doesn't mean they're stupid. It's nothing new, players have been doing that for decades--remember the Freezer Bowl between Cincinnati and San Diego?

Um, try and keep up. I was talking about how nearly ALL the players now do it. Back then it was only a few here and there. Of course its been going on for a long time. But the majority didn't do it. Not even half did. That's the difference im talking about.

It's the body heat. When these guys are active, they emit a lot of body heat. And, if you add the pads, as well as the mass in a lot of these players, these players will emit a lot of heat. I remembered when I wrestled in high school, after a very hard practice where I sweated a lot and cut a good amount of weight, I remembered walking outside with short sleeves on, and I was warm.

Favre probably needs the sleeves, because he probably needs to be in a good body temp at all time, because it will affect the way he throws.

Archived