Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Very Different Redskins Team Next Year

E-Dog Night

With Gibbs gone, that suggests more departures from the old gang. Buges is quite possibly going to retire. Don Breaux almost definitely will. There may be a number of coaches that will seek other employment as a result of this move, depending on who is named HC.

As far as the players go:

Samuels, Kendall, Rabach will almost surely make up the left side of the o-line. Jansen is far from a lock to return, given his recent injuries and salary cap number. Right guard is up for grabs.

Cooley will be back of course, and I'd be shocked if Portis wasn't the starting tailback. But, assuming Al Saunders stays, we'll see a lot more of Ladell Betts.

There will likely be a new WR in the mix.

On defense, Pretty much every position on the D-line is in question, with the exception of Andre Carter. I expect the youth movement to continue, and I would be more surprised to see Griffin kept than not.

At LB, Rocky Mac will be apparently out for most (if not all) of next year, so don't be surprised to see Lance Briggs on the team.

I doubt Springs will be back, and I would expect someone to be brought in to compete with Smoot and Rogers. Not sure if Williams feels comfortable with Doughty as his starting SS, despite playing pretty well this season.

Oh...and that little position known as quarterback...if Al Saunders remains the OC, I'm not convinced that Campbell will automatically be given the starting job. I know Saunders fell more comfortable with Collins.

This will be an interesting offseason.

Timing is always something interesting. Yes, I agree that Buges, Breaux and co. will probably retire with Gibbs ... but if we keep Saunders, the staff that was under him in KC and that were promoted to run the offense under Herm Edwards was just let go last week, so we could bring them in and they are both familiar with Saunders and this offense, so that would be a great move (if we keep Saunders here running our offense).

With Gibbs gone, that suggests more departures from the old gang. Buges is quite possibly going to retire. Don Breaux almost definitely will. There may be a number of coaches that will seek other employment as a result of this move, depending on who is named HC.

As far as the players go:

Samuels, Kendall, Rabach will almost surely make up the left side of the o-line. Jansen is far from a lock to return, given his recent injuries and salary cap number. Right guard is up for grabs.

Cooley will be back of course, and I'd be shocked if Portis wasn't the starting tailback. But, assuming Al Saunders stays, we'll see a lot more of Ladell Betts.

There will likely be a new WR in the mix.

On defense, Pretty much every position on the D-line is in question, with the exception of Andre Carter. I expect the youth movement to continue, and I would be more surprised to see Griffin kept than not.

At LB, Rocky Mac will be apparently out for most (if not all) of next year, so don't be surprised to see Lance Briggs on the team.

I doubt Springs will be back, and I would expect someone to be brought in to compete with Smoot and Rogers. Not sure if Williams feels comfortable with Doughty as his starting SS, despite playing pretty well this season.

Oh...and that little position known as quarterback...if Al Saunders remains the OC, I'm not convinced that Campbell will automatically be given the starting job. I know Saunders fell more comfortable with Collins.

This will be an interesting offseason.

Good points, I don't know, Will Jason Campbell remain? If Saunders left and went to say Miami, or Atlanta, would they trade their first rounder for Jason Straight up? Or would we have to throw in a bit more than that? (Maybe Jason plus some other player they might need?)

How is RG up for grabs? Have you seen Jason Fabini play? If Randy Thomas can stand up next year its his job

Dude you are talking like Fabini is worse than putting a folding chair at the position when its obvious that a folding chair on turf has better reaction time than Fabini :rolleyes:

Dude you are talking like Fabini is worse than putting a folding chair at the position when its obvious that a folding chair on turf has better reaction time than Fabini :rolleyes:

No, he was talking like Randy Thomas is one of the top 5 guards in the league when healthy and even at 70% of his usual self would be far more consistent than Fabini.

Rocky will be back for the start of the season, so Briggs is not a lock to be here.

Young Reed plays FS, not SS. That's LL's job. I think he showed enough to not make the position a "gaping" hole.

Springs is gone and I think that's a lock, unless he seriously restructures. $7 mil was way over paying him this year, but I can't think of who else is a lock to be cut.

How is RG up for grabs? Have you seen Jason Fabini play? If Randy Thomas can stand up next year its his job

You CAN NOT count on Randy Thomas. He stays Injured. and it doesn;t seem to bother him. Just as long as he gets paid and he gets to eat. He can get to steppin along with Jansen. we need young blood on that O-Line

Rocky will be back for the start of the season, so Briggs is not a lock to be here.

Young Reed plays FS, not SS. That's LL's job. I think he showed enough to not make the position a "gaping" hole.

Ever since Sean T's death, Landry has been playing FS and Doughty's been in at SS. Unless there's a personnel change, that will remain as is.

And after his performance in Seattle, I think whoever ends up coaching the Skins will have to at the very least consider keeping Landry at FS.

I agree that RG should be "up for grabs" as I think EVERY position should be up for grabs. However, if Thomas is healthy it will be his job. You can make the injury arguement with everybody.

And I dont know where the comment about Thomas being lazy came from, if he was lazy he wouldnt have rushed back for the end of the seaosn. We need young blood for depth on the OLine, not as starters next year

Ever since Sean T's death, Landry has been playing FS and Doughty's been in at SS. Unless there's a personnel change, that will remain as is.

And after his performance in Seattle, I think whoever ends up coaching the Skins will have to at the very least consider keeping Landry at FS.

My bad. I had to back away for a little while after the tragidy, so i'm a little out of the loop.

They both played great in dallas and Seattle though.

I don't actually see a "very different Redskins team" next year. The salary cap kinda prevents that and, depending on the head coach, the nucleus could likely be pretty much the same.

Perhaps. But take a look at the coaching staff. As a result of Gibbs' retirement, I would say that this list will bear little resemblance to next years' list. Bugel, Breaux, Burns will probably all be gone, replaced by Al Saunders' people, provided Saunders himself remains. Byner is a Gibbs guy. Stan Hixon was brought in by Gibbs. If Williams isn't named head coach, then I can't even begin to imagine what will happen.

And when has the salary cap ever been an issue for The Danny? :laugh:

Joe Gibbs Head Coach/Team President

Al Saunders Assoc. HC - Offense

Gregg Williams Asst. HC - Defense

Joe Bugel Asst. HC - Offense

Don Breaux Off. Coordinator

Jack Burns Offensive Assistant

Rennie Simmons Tight Ends Coach

Earnest Byner Running Backs Coach

Stan Hixon Wide Receivers Coach

Bill Lazor Quarterbacks

Greg Blache Def. Coord./Def. Line