Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daryl Gardener: Looking at homes in Denver.

Taco John

One thing that I haven't seen posted on this subject is that every week when you checked the injured list Gardener was listed as probable with his back.

There may have been two or three weeks that he wasn't listed on the injury list. Why is that? Teams have to list players with injuries on this list pursuant to NFL rules.

If this "injury" was so non-existant, how come the Skins listed him every week? Could he have been receiving Cortizone injections or numbing treatments for games? I know its a long shot, but there is a reason he was listed week in and week out on that list.

Maybe this back thing was more problematic than the team let on in public last year. If indeed this is the case, the FO may have just been unwilling to roll the dice on this type of recurrent injury.

Time will tell with his playing time next year, but if he does go down with injury, those dollar amounts will kill any teams salary cap when he's on IR or the inactive list for very long.

ASF

Don't assume he'll take the same offer from the Redskins. He seems like a real vindictive fu** who wants to keep his word about leaving the Skins, even if it means taking less than we offered him a week ago.

He was GREAT but you can't just cave into whatever a player asks for. We got our Daryl Gardener. His name is Randy Thomas. He has just as much ability but he's 3 years younger and has no injury history.

Don't worry, be happy.

Hopefully we'll address the Dline in the draft for the first time in 15 years. :rolleyes:

I doubt he'd sign here even for a bit more than what Denver is offering. He'll sign with Denver on principle, whatever skewed logic he comes up with.

The squabble over the signing bonus and first three years were basic negotiation stuff... and a middle could have been found.... but I think the Redskins balked at the second bonus he asked for after year three. He wanted a lump sum of $5mil to be paid as a reward for staying healthy..... which is totally ridiculous and unheard of in today's NFL salary negotiatoins. That was the hangup.

I think it was a risk the Redskins couldn't take, and I'm ecstatic over the present course. I'll be overcome with joy, and Labatts Blue, if we somehow obtain a solid first day DT on draft day.

Players of this era seem to give two sh!ts about the TEAM anymore. As long as they get their big bundle of money then it is all good. We were offering Daryl a nice sum of money to remain on a team he claimed to really enjoy being on. He seemed to make it apparent he was gonna do everything in his power to stay. Then like a lightswitch, he changes his mind because of a 1 million dollar difference. That is a major character flaw to me. It does hurt not to have him for the upcoming season, and hey he may join Denver and dominate for the first 8 games or so, but I hope they realize that in game #9 he may just start feeling the tweek in his back all over again and the money will start swirling down the drain.

Originally posted by Cskin

The squabble over the signing bonus and first three years were basic negotiation stuff... and a middle could have been found.... but I think the Redskins balked at the second bonus he asked for after year three. He wanted a lump sum of $5mil to be paid as a reward for staying healthy..... which is totally ridiculous and unheard of in today's NFL salary negotiatoins. That was the hangup.

Funny -- forgetting about the actual numbers for a moment, I liked Gardener's conceptual proposal better than the Redskin position. The Redskins wanted Gardener to *refund* the team money for games missed. Gardener wanted to get a bonus if he stayed healthy.

Refunds suck and have bad karma -- big team taking money back from injured player who has probably committed the money in some way already. I'd much rather be generous with a "reward bonus" for staying healthy.

Obviously it's possible to have a good conceptual position and ridiculous contract dollars, so I'm not saying Gardener's numbers were doable. But I liked his approach. A compromise based on his approach seemed possible -- might still be possible.

Archived