Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What your brew??

fezzik

Hey Skins fans,

Being a Canadian you know we take pride in our beers :pint: and the fact they are better then the American brews. I did not start this thread to debate who has the better beer, but rather what is your favorite beer.

I only ask to know when I come down for a game or two, what beers I should buy when I come across the border.

:pint: :pint: :pint:

I guess to get things rolling my favorite brew would have to be Milaukees Best, no wait I get that because it is cheap and I am a student. Well I am a fan of Rickard's HoneyBrown but I don't know if you guys have that in the US.

Killian's Irish Red or at least it used to be before Coors thought they could pass it off as an import and jacked up the price. Outside of that Imperial and Pilsin, two brands I get sent to me from Costa Rica by my brother-in-law about twice a year.

As for Canadian beers, my favorite has to be BLACK LABEL!!!:pint:

I love the Newcastle Brown. I also like the Guiness. But the best beer ever brewed has to be Rogue River Porter, right there in Ashland, OR.

Some friends are coming over tonight for a little pizza and poker, and they're, like "We drink MGD." And I'm all, "Not in my ****in' house, you don't."

Originally posted by codeorama

Canadian beer is stronger than American beer, even Bud and Coors that is sold in Canada is different than the Bud and Coors sold in the US. There is a higher alcohol percentage in Canadian beer.... You may not like the tase of our watered down brew.:cheers:

Hey watered down brew is not that bad. In term of the US beers brew up here I like Coors Light for the taste.

As for British Beers or should I say ales and lagers, I am a fan of Strongbow which is neither an ale or lager but a cider. Killkenny is another good one from Ireland.

Coors Light is disgusting. I would rather not drink beer then drink that stuff.

I dont think it has anything to do with alcohol percentages as to why Canadian beer is better. When I was in England most of the beers there range between 3.5 and 4.5% alcohol and they are good beers.

Personally my favourite beer is Smithwicks from Ireland. For a canadian beer I will go with Mooshead, Keiths or if I really want to get drunk for cheap Molson Dry (5.5% alcohol and $5 cheaper per 24, now thats value.)

Originally posted by fezzik

Hey Skins fans,

Being a Canadian you know we take pride in our beers :pint: and the fact they are better then the American brews. I did not start this thread to debate who has the better beer, but rather what is your favorite beer.

Well, if you like pilseners/light beers brewed in the German lager tradition like Bud, Miller, Molson, etc., yes, Canadian beer is better. But Pilesener Urquell (Czech) is the best, because it's the original. I also like the original Budweiser (Budvar).

Overall, however, I much prefer beers brewed in the English ale style: pale ales, scottish ales, porters, stouts, ESB, IPA, etc. In THAT style of brewing, the US is second only to England. I haven't tasted a Canadian ale yet that was worth the price.

With that in mind, I'd have to say my favorite beer is Tetley's English Pub ale. Following a close second would be Anchor Liberty Ale (San Fran), which consistently gets 4/4 stars in international beer competitions.

For cheap beer: Schlitz. It was $1.99 a 6 pack in college. Of course, you might get the schlitz the next day ... :puke:

Hey RiggoDrill, good point. Being on the West coast you probably go to BC for any Canadian brewing but you might like some of the english syle stuff brewed on the east coast. Like Alexander Keiths IPA, or anything in the Sleeman line. Being from Waterloo, Ontario I know of the Brick Brewing Company and some of their brews are interesting but being a micro brewery you might not get a chance to try Brick.

Fezzik is right about Brick beer. They have managed to produce some very solid beers. Im also a fan of the Sleemans Silver Creek Lager.

Brick uses the old-fashioned stubby bottles for its Red Cap line. Not sure if that shape of bottle was ever used in the US but if you have seen Strange Brew or any Bob and Doug MacKenzie skits from SCTV its those beers.

I tend to like darker, full-bodied beers for shorter sittings. Guiness goes without saying. Sam Adams Cream Stout. Newcastle. Most black and tans (Yeungling, Michelob).

For longer sittings (lighter fare) my fave is Killians.

Archived