Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Selecting a Safety

angel2

While the loss of ST is going to hurt for years, we really have much bigger needs than drafting a FS first thing (this would be an emotional move and a mistake for the team). We need to desperately build boths lines on this team first and foremost, then we need to address our lack of effective WRs and go from there. Before we do any of that we need to cut players to address our miserable cap situation. Boy, wouldn't a GM come in handy here?

Limiting your draft search to one source is inaccurate. Phillips is by all accounts the best safety in the NCAA.

Just because we've drafted two safteies with top-ten picks since 2004 doesn't make it the norm, safeties are rarely picked in the top ten of the draft. Ed Reed was a #24 pick and he's the best safety in the league.

The best safety in the NCAA or the best NFL prospect? I mean, Troy Smith was the best QB in the NCAA last year, but 8 QBs were drafted ahead of him.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

Here they have him going #13. FYI' date=' nfldraftcountdown is MUCH better at analyzing prospects than the Sporting News.

edit: here's another page that's better than SN: note that they have him ranked according to next year, though.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=57269

From #23 up to #13 still doesn't excite me but thats just me.

As someone has already posted, I don't think the Skins will select another Safety in the first round.

The best safety in the NCAA or the best NFL prospect? I mean, Troy Smith was the best QB in the NCAA last year, but 8 QBs were drafted ahead of him.

Both

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/phillips_kenny00.html

UM coaches say he has "the body of Sean Taylor and the knowledge and speed of Ed Reed"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Phillips

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=57269

____

6'0" 190lbs is pretty tiny for a safety, thats definately cb size

Not a downer in my estimation. His frame can carry more weight and not lose his speed, I know 4.66 is not fast. But he has the ability to improve on both.

The rest of the Safeties are so-so and could be back ups.

Reed Doughty has good speed and can lay a hit. I just think the Redskins are looking forward to him developing his skills with the remaining schedule this season. Of course theres always Shawn Springs at SS/FS. Williams must have something up his sleeves.

Unless the safety is good enough to be picked top ten. Its a pretty good bet its going to take 2 seasons of adjusting to understand the NFL game.

Thats why I want to go FA.

WE HAVE TO GO D LINE WITH OUR FIRST PICK. WE HAVE TO GO D LINE WITH OUR FIRST PICK. WE HAVE TO GO D LINE WITH OUR FIRST PICK.

I agree, we have need D-Line help for as long as I can remember, we cant keep letting this slip through. We need pressure up front for real

You both are saying what I've been saying. Taylor's passing gives us the opportunity (sad as it may be) to reevaluate and change the focus of our defense. Let's work and get a couple quality guys on Dline and Oline, and get FAs to fill the void at safety. Troy Vincent could come in in a pinch I bet.

Is Ed Reed a FA after this year? He's the only guy I would say that was better than Sean in the NFL. He would be a nice pick-up. Then again, I don't think we need one, the guy's we have now are good.

I've been thinking the same thing so I checked it out, and he's signed through 2012 if I remember what I read.

I would like to have Ed Reed. If we can't get Reed then I say go for Kenny Phillips if he declares for the draft. If not, I'd say pick up Ed Reed and draft a DE or DL early. Then on the second day of the draft pick up someone like Jamie Silva out of BC. This guy can hit and cover (4 INT last years and 5 this year). He's dropped his 40 time and it'll drop even more by the time of the combine. Get some veteran like Reed, Sanders, etc. to mentor Silva and we should be all right.

I was looking into this over the weekend. Below are all of the Unrestricted FA Safeties I could find. Could someone please see if they can find out who the restricted FA's are?

Mike Doss UFA Minnesota Vikings

Ken Hamlin UFa Dallas Cowboys

William Bartee UFA Kansas City Chiefs

Jay Bellamy UFA New Orleans Saints

Omar Stoutmire UFA Washington Redskins

Derrick Strait UFA Carolina Panthers

Gibril Wilson UFA New York Giants

We need alot of help in this draft, OL, DL, CB, WR should be priorities over FS. However, we should be drafting in the 1st half of the 1st round, somewhere between 10-17. At that spot you may have to take the best available if it happens to be a Safety.

The top 10 Safety prospects (according to draftstock.com) are as follows:

1 Kenny Phillips Jr. Miami (Fla.) 6-1 205

2 Kelin Johnson Sr. Georgia 6-1 195

3 Quinton Demps Sr. UTEP 6-0 215

4 Kevin Mitchell Sr. Illinois 6-0 200

5 Tom Zbikowski Sr. Notre Dame 6-0 210

6 Anthony Reddick Sr. Miami (Fla.) 6-0 200

7 Jonathan Hefney Sr. Tennessee 5-9 190

8 Josh Pinkard Sr. USC 6-0 200

9 Michael Hamlin Jr. Clemson 6-3 200

10 Eric Brock Sr. Auburn 6-1 210

Dont know why they don't have Steltz or Barret on here...

The one I would add to the list is Corey Lynch out of App. State. We could probably pick him up in the middle rounds. I want to see what he does in the combine, but he is rated by many as the top small school prospect.

Archived