Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor's Spiritual Condition

Beauty is Only

Originally posted by ThePreciating

Christianity has become so muddled these days. How could people really claim to know how God decides who gets into heaven?

Perhaps the ‘Christian’ message that you’ve been hearing of late has been muddled. There are definitely people out there that teach unhealthy (i.e., unbiblical) doctrine in the name of Christ. However, the message of the gospel is quite clear and quite polarizing. Jesus said “I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me.” (John 14:6). You quoted this yourself. Either Jesus is right or he is wrong when he says this. The Bible is definitive on this topic. You can choose to disbelieve it or accept it, but please don’t make up a situation where you believe God might just let someone into heaven who didn’t accept forgiveness of sins through the sacrificial death of his Son.

The title of this thread implies that the "spiritual condition" of non-Christians dooms them all to hell. Even if you think that, don't post that here. Christianity and elitism have nothing in common. Somehow, unbaptized babies in limbo, non-believers burning in hell, and this elitist crap has been assimilated into Christian doctrine.

The Bible is quite clear on the fact that those who do not receive God’s free gift of salvation are definitely choosing to be separated from God in eternity. It’s not elitism, it’s mercy. And those who receive God’s mercy through Christ are accepted by God, no one else. I’m not the one who came up with this doctrine. Jesus did. Jesus speaks more about hell than he does about eternal bliss. He was trying to warn those who thought they were OK with God because they served God religiously. Good works don’t get you in good with God. Sin separates us from God and nothing we do (go to church, become a monk, give all of our money to the poor, etc.) can cover our sin. The atoning, sacrificial death of Christ is the only way to know God, according to the Bible.

My thoughts? None of us are getting out of earth alive. God knew that when he made us. We're coming home to him. WE. All of us whom he created. We're his CHILDREN!!!! Yeah, even the non-Christian ones!

We were made to know our Creator, but chose to turn from him and disobey. The relationship we had with God as children was broken when man rebelled. We are not, in our natural state, God’s children. We are, in fact, his enemies. On our own, we will not choose God and would persist in our warring with him. That’s where Christ has stepped in and made it possible for us to end our war and lay down our arms and accept peace with God on his terms. Christ’s death alone makes it possible for us to be reconciled to God.

I also heard Sean was an Adventist. Adventist believe the Bible just like you and I and still uphold Saturday as the true Sabbath which IMO is still the Sabbath. I had friends that are Adventists and they are very clean living including diet.

Take this for what it's worth. Aside Gibbs and the Chaplain, I saw Roy Williams interviewed on the NFL Network and he and Sean became firends after the Pro Bowl and he also confirmed that Sean recently in WIlliams' words: "rededicated his life back to Christ".While this is still sad and tragic I do find great comfort in knowing this. Sean's dad has even said that Sean's work on Earth is done and he's been called home.

I can tell you this much. I've not been as close to the Lord recenly as I have been most of my life, but this whole situation has created some real soul searching with myself. I realize that I need to straighten up. I don't think I lost my salvation, but I've not been a good example as of late.

don't understand what his new relationship with the "lord" has to do with this tragedy. How does him being religous or not make this any better or worse.

P.S. this is a football message board not a Religous board. I think we should keep religion out of this. I think it offends people.... Myself included.

Get over it.

Got a link to Gibbs' discussion with the media about this? I'd love to listen to it/read it.

I hope this post isn't too long and I'm doing it correctly... This is the link to the press conference transcript with Joe Gibbs and Daniel Snyder where Gibbs talked about this (it's in the first section of Gibbs speaking): http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=32194

The two things I wanted to make you aware of with Sean, over the last year and a half Sean really matured. To give you a little feeling, he was in every chapel service that I can remember. I think his life and the way he dealt with everybody showed the real maturity. His child had a lot to do with that. He had a real love for his family and for his child. There were times here in the building where people would say, "hey Sean is in, he has his baby girl with him." I just this morning heard of people talking about him at the shopping center where she was playing and he would be there looking over her. I saw, over the last year and a half, which happens with a lot of young guys when you come in, you're coaching and you see young guys come in here and then they grow up and they mature. I certainly think in Sean's case, his life exemplifies that and what I don't believe, that you can do that on your own. He had a growing relationship with the Lord and the reason why I say that, I didn't spend a lot of time talking to him about that, but I witnessed his life, but Brett Fuller, who is one of our chaplains, I want everybody here to know that we have the greatest group of guys working with us. We have Brett, Lee (Corder) and Jerry (Leachmen) working with the coaches and then the players. Brett had spent a lot of time with Sean over the last couple of years. Brett has handled the coaches here when he came and spoke to us earlier yesterday his feeling is that Sean had a great relationship with the Lord and he feels like he (Sean Taylor) has gone home.

And here is the transcript from the media session after the Redskins resumed practice: http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=32208

On if he feels that he is equipped to handle this situation because of his faith:

"No, it is so hard. The way I relayed my feelings to the team, I don't mind sharing, I lost my dad. I lost my mother. I know that for both of them, they had a personal relationship with the Lord. They had said Christ died on that cross for their sins. They asked him for forgiveness. They made a personal commitment to their Lord and Savior. At that point, what we see reading God's word, is He says the saints have gone on before us in heaven and they are cheering us on. I told them that I always reflect back on that. I have my uncle, he meant a lot to me, my mother and my dad. I relate to it that way, because I miss them. I know they are in a better place and I think they are cheering me on. Every time I think about something I do I want to make sure that if they are looking down, which I know they are, that I'm doing the right thing. For me, you share some personal things like that. That's important to me. Pastor Brett (Fuller) said that Sean had that relationship and in God's word, that's where he is now."

I can tell you this much. I've not been as close to the Lord recenly as I have been most of my life, but this whole situation has created some real soul searching with myself. I realize that I need to straighten up. I don't think I lost my salvation, but I've not been a good example as of late.

I will come out and say I feel you bro, I am a Christian just remember God will forgive you for what you have been doing. That's how much he loves us.

When I first heard about Sean, and heard it was life and death I prayed that he had the chance to give his life to Jesus before it was to late. If what you guys are saying about Sean giving his life to Christ, it makes it easier for me, but I'm still sad and still miss him always but happy he is in heaven.

I know some people don't want to hear about Christianity, but it's your chose to believe or not. Let us Christian talk about this. I don't want this to become a debate but you didn't have to post in this thred if you didn't want to.

Anyways do you guys have anymore info Joe Gibbs, Sean Dad said those things and Roy Williams about Sean faith.

Oh I probaly get flamed about this but this is for all you Christian on this board to encourage them in ther walk with God.

I can't wait until I go home/ when you hear the trumpet I will be gone/ cought in the sky saying so long/Waiting on the Lord just hold on/ This should be hope to every Christian/ Listen to me every Christian/ Praying for Maranatha his quick return for every Christian/

PS The word “maranatha” is used only once in the Bible (I Corinthians 16:22). Maranatha literally means “watch, our Lord comes!” and its a Christian Rap group who did the song just got the cd couple of days ago. I know this is to advertise them but I hope it encougrage us.

don't understand what his new relationship with the "lord" has to do with this tragedy. How does him being religous or not make this any better or worse.

P.S. this is a football message board not a Religous board. I think we should keep religion out of this. I think it offends people.... Myself included.

If discussing someone's eternal salvation offends you so much, you are welcome to NOT CLICK THE THREAD!:doh:

Because SOME people consider it relevant. And they have a right to talk about it. And you have a right to avoid it.

I trust what Gibbs is saying is true. And that is very comforting to know, especially after reading Ecclesiastes 8 yesterday. A few verses reminded me of Sean's tragedy:

12 Moreover, no man knows when his hour will come:

As fish are caught in a cruel net,

or birds are taken in a snare,

so men are trapped by evil times

that fall unexpectedly upon them.

Because SOME people consider it relevant. And they have a right to talk about it. And you have a right to avoid it.

We all have a freedom to write about what we want on here.

Whether it being the murder case, his faith, his family, whatever....we all have a right to discuss what we want.

His faith is important to a lot of us on this site, and therefore it will be discussed, not to trash other religions, or others beliefs, just to discuss what, if any beliefs he had.

There is no offensive about that.

It makes it a lot better for him (eternity with the father) and gives us peace knowing he is in a better place. I hope I have answered the ? for you.

God Bless

Then you obviously don't believe in Jesus Christ, or that their is a hell or a heaven.

How does him being religous or not make this any better or worse.

Ecclesiastes 8:12-

Moreover, no man knows when his hour will come:

As fish are caught in a cruel net,

or birds are taken in a snare,

so men are trapped by evil times

that fall unexpectedly upon them.

Him knowing and believing in Christ means that he will not spend an eternity in hell which is what we all deserve for our sins. If you can't see that as 'better', then you are a very very sad being and I pity you.

"P.S. this is a football message board not a Religous board. I think we should keep religion out of this. I think it offends people.... Myself included."

This thread is about Sean Taylor. If what he believed offends you, then maybe you shouldn't visit any more Sean Taylor threads.

generally, when someone dies (that I know) that is the first thing I want to know, how was their walk with the Lord......it makes dealing with their death so much easier to know that where they are at now is somewhere that I guarantee they would not want to come back here for....Sean loved football and family, but I know he wouldn't want to leave heaven for any of that....we'll see him again.....that's comforting.......

Can you guys provide me with some more Bible quotes? I am enjoying them immensely. Thank you for your help.

John 14

1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

2In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Revelation 22

1And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

2In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

3And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

4And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.

5And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

6And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.

7Behold, I come quickly

Rev.21

4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Adventist here as well and I agree with a lot that has been said. We believe that His love and mercy for all is great and that he really truly does loves us.

Often times we say how could this be allowed to happen? and that I don't want to have anything to do with someone who would allow sensless murder. But just as many times, we cannot see the big picture. Who knows what damage could have been done to Sean's relationship had he not be taken at this point in time? Maybe through the whole spectrum of his life, right now is the time when he would be purest and "rightest" with God? (Yes I said God and Sean said it too)

Also just one more point; and the evidence is already in this thread. Who knows how many lives have and will be touched by this tragedy? How many people will feel the tug at their hearts to get their lives together? How many people will be reminded that wow, life is so fragile and that I could be gone in an instant? Have I made the right decisions?

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the

strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. Mahatma Ghandi

When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always

Mahatma Ghandi

The only devils in this world are those running around in our own hearts, and that is where all our battles should be fought. Mahatma Ghandi

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.--Martin Luther King.

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men. --Martin Luther King

"We have lobbed verses of Scripture, like hand grenades, into the camps of others, convinced we only have truth."--Archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey

"In the Bible, the ones who were most certain about what they were doing were the ones who stoned the prophets."--Bob Chell, Lutheran Minister

"In every religion, there are those who would drape themselves in the mantle of belief and faith only to distort it’s most sacred teachings -- preaching intolerance and resorting to violence" Hillary Clinton

"The Jews are a nervous people. Nineteen centuries of Christian love have taken a toll." Benjamin Disreali

"My son, always respect and honor the other fellow's point of view. Unless it's different from yours, of course." Hagar the Horrible

Great wisdom can be found outside the bible. I am not ready to dismiss religion, however, given the state of the world today (us vs. them) I think all organized religion needs to look at itself, and return to its basics. To call yourself a christian, and then to chastise someone for not sharing your beliefs, is the ultimate act of paganism. I am paraphrasing Mahatma Ghandi here because I could not find his orginal quote, and believe me I looked--"I would like Christians except that--so often, they are so unlike their Christ."

Archived