Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wife and I decided to name our daughter after Sean Taylor

Commander Adama

I understand being saddened by this tragedy. But, how do you really cry about someone you don't even know? Was Sean Taylor your neighbor or someone you have had personal contact? If not, why don't we have the same emotional reaction to the deaths that occur in the DC area all the time?

It is different if you are a team member or family. Those people actually knew him and really mourn his loss. What are the rest of us really doing? Mourning an image of who we think this person was?

I can tell from the messages that I'm in the minority but I think you'll look strange naming your child after Sean Taylor. If Sean Taylor was your personal friend then it's a great thing to do. If you never spoke to the guy in your life then it's just weird. Sorry.

I dont understand people who think they should tell other people how and who to mourn for. If you can't imagine being hurt by the death of someone you haven't met, I don't know what else to say...

Guest SPACESKINS
im a soon-2-be father myself...i WISH my wife was as awesome as yours LOL (She's a Giants fan)

Great gesture....

Taylor still works....(Lawrence Taylor???)

Ofcourse you might still have an argument over which Taylor she was named after :silly:

I understand being saddened by this tragedy. But, how do you really cry about someone you don't even know? Was Sean Taylor your neighbor or someone you have had personal contact? If not, why don't we have the same emotional reaction to the deaths that occur in the DC area all the time?

I can understand that kind of reaction. For me at least, I cried because I have a great love of the Washington Redskins and their players. I'm especially saddened when a talented 24 year old leaves the world, with a daughter who probably will never know her father except through his highlight films.

Certainly, there are plenty of deaths like that, but for those of us who are fans, it is personal. We may not have known Sean personally, but we certainly can be moved by him.

how rude can you get. why post this at all. Who cares what you think about the name. THe mother and father chose that name. SO its special to them. What is you name so I can talk **** about your name. Your a joke.

My name is in my signature of all of my posts. You can make fun of it all you want. You aren't going to come up with something I haven't heard in my lifetime.

Also, when someone decides to make a post on a message board, they open themselves up to positive and negative comments. While I certianly complement them on wanting to honor Taylor, I didn't particularly like their choice. They are certainly free to ignore my opinion.

Jason

It is different if you are a team member or family. Those people actually knew him and really mourn his loss. What are the rest of us really doing? Mourning an image of who we think this person was?

I can tell from the messages that I'm in the minority but I think you'll look strange naming your child after Sean Taylor. If Sean Taylor was your personal friend then it's a great thing to do. If you never spoke to the guy in your life then it's just weird. Sorry.

Allow me to get flamed as well as I agree with you 100%. Crying profusely about someone you don't know and know nothing about is weird . . . let alone naming your child after him . . .

I dont understand people who think they should tell other people how and who to mourn for. If you can't imagine being hurt by the death of someone you haven't met, I don't know what else to say...

Who said I wasn't hurt by his death? Not me. The OP put the decision for naming his daughter on this board presumably with the intention of getting comments. If I knew the OP I'd tell him I thought doing so would be a mistake. My opinion. He doesn't have to agree with it.

Skinsfan48 "again who care what the hell you think. Some people in this world just have no place."

You need to stop watching so much TV and live a real life.

Thanks for the comments! PlayAction and Longshot while I respect your opinions, I disagree, but that is why this place is great. All the differing ideas and opinions.

As far as why would I be saddened by the passing of a man I barely knew? He's a man who was truly gifted. Who grew up as a man before our eyes. He had become a good father, good man, and fantastic player. The world has lost someone special. If you were to pass away, I would be saddened as well. Does that make it wrong? No. I just feel differently than you.

Addison Taylor?

I hope you don't take offense, but that's a funky name for a girl.

Hell, there is some precidence for calling a girl Sean, but Addison?

Sorry, but I tend to be a traditionalist when naming kids. It is a good gesture anyways. (My wife was tempted to name our kid Santana...)

Jason

weird. i worked a football camp this year, and met a boy named addison for the first time. that's a girls name thru and thru to me.

Unbelievable...YOu want your daughter to grow up like Sean Taylor? You want your daughter to hang around hoodlums and thugs? You want your daughter to spit in peoples faces? You want your daughter to carry Machetes in the bedroom? More power to you buddy. More power to you.

Sean Taylor may have been a redskin, but he is FAR from a role model.

My wife has been crying ever since hearing about Sean yesterday morning. Myself, I have choked back a lot of tears, but last night while sleeping I sat up and had an epiphany. I wanted to name our daughter after Sean. So, I woke up my wife and told her. She was ecstatic about the idea. So, in about 8 months we will welcome into the world, God willing, Addison Taylor Richard. I hope she can grow from immaturity into a fantastic adult, like Sean. That she can be so grounded and focused as Sean became. We watched Sean grow up from an immature 20 year-old to a blossoming, classy man. When he said "I just take this job very seriously. It's almost like, you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that.' So I just say, 'I'm healthy right now, I'm going into my fourth year, and why not do the best that I can?' And that's whatever it is, whether it's eating right or training myself right, whether it's studying harder, whatever I can do to better myself." And he did.

So here's to hoping my daughter, Addison Taylor, will grow up to be the type of person, Sean Taylor became. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help crying while writing this one.

God Bless

HTTR

My wife has been crying ever since hearing about Sean yesterday morning. Myself, I have choked back a lot of tears, but last night while sleeping I sat up and had an epiphany. I wanted to name our daughter after Sean. So, I woke up my wife and told her. She was ecstatic about the idea. So, in about 8 months we will welcome into the world, God willing, Addison Taylor Richard. I hope she can grow from immaturity into a fantastic adult, like Sean. That she can be so grounded and focused as Sean became. We watched Sean grow up from an immature 20 year-old to a blossoming, classy man. When he said "I just take this job very seriously. It's almost like, you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that.' So I just say, 'I'm healthy right now, I'm going into my fourth year, and why not do the best that I can?' And that's whatever it is, whether it's eating right or training myself right, whether it's studying harder, whatever I can do to better myself." And he did.

So here's to hoping my daughter, Addison Taylor, will grow up to be the type of person, Sean Taylor became. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help crying while writing this one.

God Bless

HTTR

Congrats on you and your wifes pregnancy. I think what you all decided to do is really a class act. Well wishes, and god bless

Unbelievable...YOu want your daughter to grow up like Sean Taylor? You want your daughter to hang around hoodlums and thugs? You want your daughter to spit in peoples faces? You want your daughter to carry Machetes in the bedroom? More power to you buddy. More power to you.

Can this guy not be perma-banned?

Why, because my opinion does not agree with yours? I am not slandering anyone, I am also not stating anything that has not already been reported. Why can't people post opinions on here without other people wanting them banned because their opinion did not agree with theirs?

Can this guy not be perma-banned?

Allanon I guess you had an exemplary life? I know I have not. I already acknowledged, yes he was immature when he first came into the league, but he grew up and learned from his mistakes. As far as him hanging around hoodlums and thugs, that's you speculating that. I do not think he did and he had a wonderful family. Maybe you are thinking about his father who put away thugs and hoodlums for a living? Also, I never referred to him as a role model, but I think for a person who has made some immature mistakes, they could look at Sean Taylor, and try to change their lives, like he did.

One last thing. I do not know you, nor you, I so please don't refer to me as buddy. I am not your buddy, or pal, or whatever you might think to call me that you think is cool.

HTTR

Other than what his teammates have said do you really have any proof that he did try and turn his life around? I mean how do you really know that? So far, all that is really known is that he had not been in trouble with the law for about a year or two right? If it had been 5 years, then I might have thought that he was turning the corner. But the fact is, none of the fans on here know that he was really turning the corner. And there really isn't a sane person out there who could honestly say Taylor was a good role model. I think the fact that the dude has a machette in his room supports that. Ok buddy?

Allanon I guess you had an exemplary life? I know I have not. I already acknowledged, yes he was immature when he first came into the league, but he grew up and learned from his mistakes. As far as him hanging around hoodlums and thugs, that's you speculating that. I do not think he did and he had a wonderful family. Maybe you are thinking about his father who put away thugs and hoodlums for a living? Also, I never referred to him as a role model, but I think for a person who has made some immature mistakes, they could look at Sean Taylor, and try to change their lives, like he did.

One last thing. I do not know you, nor you, I so please don't refer to me as buddy. I am not your buddy, or pal, or whatever you might think to call me that you think is cool.

HTTR

Who said I wasn't hurt by his death? Not me. The OP put the decision for naming his daughter on this board presumably with the intention of getting comments. If I knew the OP I'd tell him I thought doing so would be a mistake. My opinion. He doesn't have to agree with it.

Skinsfan48 "again who care what the hell you think. Some people in this world just have no place."

You need to stop watching so much TV and live a real life.

Let me refresh your memory from all the way back on page 2:

Other than what his teammates have said do you really have any proof that he did try and turn his life around? I mean how do you really know that? So far, all that is really known is that he had not been in trouble with the for about a year right? If it had been 5 years, then I might have thought that he had turned the corner. But the fact is, none of the fans on here know that he was really turning the corner. And there really isn't a sane person out there who could honestly say Taylor was a good role model. Ok buddy?

Your avatar pretty much sums it all up. When you get it out of there, come join us for some grown up conversation.

Other than what his teammates have said do you really have any proof that he did try and turn his life around? I mean how do you really know that? So far, all that is really known is that he had not been in trouble with the for about a year right? If it had been 5 years, then I might have thought that he had turned the corner. But the fact is, none of the fans on here know that he was really turning the corner. And there really isn't a sane person out there who could honestly say Taylor was a good role model. Ok buddy?
I'm sure you're right and that every player and coach and chaplain on the Skins who have commented are lying or deluded. Thank you for the clarity.

Archived