Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Wetzel - The Wetzel Plan (For College Football Playoffs)

Taylor4Life

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=dw-playoff112707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

click link for full article

The Wetzel plan

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

November 27, 2007

A playoff is coming to college football, not eventually but probably sooner than the moneyed-establishment wants to admit.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, the Vladimir Putin of college sports and the key figure preventing a playoff, can stem the tide for only so long.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with the current Bowl Championship Series for the time being. But that doesn't mean we can't dream about what a real playoff would entail and the magic it would produce each December and January.

If you think you like Saturdays now, understand that this is just college football lite; one day to be looked back on as a quaint and confusing era.

It close to the plan i like.

I just like instead of having 16 teams, have 10 teams, like now, with the top 2 seeds getting a bye. That would make 4 at large bids. It would still have some controversy, but i can much better handle the #11 team not having a chance to settle it on the field than the number 3-10 teams. With the top 2 teams getting a bye, it adds some importance to the regular season on top of seedings.

This plan would cause to many people to ***** about unranked Central Michigan getting in but not #13 ASU or even #16 Clemson, who beat Central Michigan by 56 points. There is just no reason to put a 7-5 team in.

Either way, we need at least an 8 team playoff.

It close to the plan i like.

I just like instead of having 16 teams, have 10 teams, like now, with the top 2 seeds getting a bye. That would make 4 at large bids. It would still have some controversy, but i can much better handle the #11 team not having a chance to settle it on the field than the number 3-10 teams. With the top 2 teams getting a bye, it adds some importance to the regular season on top of seedings.

This plan would cause to many people to ***** about unranked Central Michigan getting in but not #13 ASU or even #16 Clemson, who beat Central Michigan by 56 points. There is just no reason to put a 7-5 team in.

Either way, we need at least an 8 team playoff.

How would that work with 10 teams?

Suppose 1 and 2 get a bye.

Then you have 3 beating 10, 4 beating 9, 5 beating 8, and 6 beating 7.

That still leaves you with 6 teams (which is a problem because you end up with 3 teams after the second round).

:doh:

Archived