Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

leave Gibbs alone, and other ramblings

Rob1

I remember when Gibbs retired in '93, after so many years of sustained success, I assumed the wins would keep coming... they just felt natural. The last 15 years have taught me what an idiot I am.

And now not even Gibbs II can pull the franchise out of this neverending futility? The Redskins have BIG problems from top to bottom. Where we once had the Squire, the coolest and kookiest owner in the NFL, we now have Dan Snyder??? Snyder exemplifies why people resent the rich - especially the nouveau riche. Smoking his cigars while watching practice from his golf cart.. Whatever. His ilk caused communism.

Where we once had RFK, the rockingest, loudest, true urban stadium in the NFL, we now have Fed-Ex Field??? I know it was the Squire's fault, but Fed-Ex has the personality of a toilet bowl; in fact it should be renamed the toilet bowl.

Where we once had some of the most loyal and knowledgeable fans in the NFL, we now have a new breed of "fans" who show up late at the stadium, leave before the game is decided, don't know when to cheer, and embarrass me by looking like a bunch of ass-clowns on national TV. (And NO, the Hogettes were NOT embarrassing.) Now you can easily scalp tickets for close to face value? It just wan't that way at RFK.

What's next? Is it just a mater of time until we lose our team name?

But what about Gibbs? Well, although Beathard and Casserly haven't been successful since they left the Skins, they somehow made it work during Gibbs I. But now we have Gibbs relinquishing his forte as offensive coordinator and instead testing his achilles heel by making personnel decisions. Why? Remember Desmond Howard?? Great character and tough enough for a wideout, but not much talent?? Enough said.

As a result, our roster is WEAK. With the exception of CP, Santana, Chris S, Taylor, and hopefully JC, our players are journeyman scabs. Good guys, but scabs nonetheless. Our WR's, OL, and DL are STILL pathetic after four years? It's inexcuseable.

The problem is NOT Gibbs' coaching. Our players are just not talented enough to perform like the well-oiled machines that are the Patriots and Cowboys, no matter who coaches them.

So our ownership, management, players, fans, and studium may suck, and we may lose our team name somday, but the good news may be that Gibbs is teaching as much in defeat as he did in victory. Never give up! Keep plugging away! Always maintain your standards! And on a larger scale, the lesson may be that nobody is perfect - not even Gibbs. And just maybe, sometimes you really never can go home again.

the problem with your analysis is that Gibbs and his staff are responsible in large part for bringing in the players that you are now ready to discard :)

Gibbs wanted Brunell. He traded for him. The decision to go in that direction rather than draft and develop a young quarterback in 2004, or to acquire a younger free agent had a LOT to do with the missteps that first season where the club had a top 3 defense but an offense where there was no deep ball due to #8.

#8 came back in 2005 and played well, but at 36 unfortunately was too far beyond his prime to be part of anything more than a one-season resurgence.

Snyder didn't make the move for Brunell any more than he made the move to sign Adam Archuleta. Gregg Williams gushed over Archuleta after the signing was announced and telegraphed that the defensive staff had lobbied for this move.

Is Snyder and his sidekick Cerrato responsible for the Spurrier era personnel moves for guys like Trung Canidate and Regan Upshaw? Yes.

Did Snyder make a mistake in firing Schottenheimer after Marty was able to get the team to an 8-3 finish in 2001? Probably so.

But THIS team only has several players that were here before Gibbs arrived and curiously some of the players fans point to as being part of the 'core' (Samuels, Thomas, etc.) were already here.

No, Joe Gibbs is responsible. Gibbs didn't want to hire a GM or player personnel director because selfishly he wanted to reserve personnel decisions for himself after having others set the table for him the first time around.

Does anyone really think that if Gibbs had come in 2004 and told Snyder he wanted to bring in a personnel director to manage the draft and free agency, do you think he would have walked away empty-handed?

you hit it on the head dude...i just didn't have the time to type it. :)

it starts from the top, with snyder, but yes, i love his ability to spend, but i cringe at the fact that gibbs can "fill in" his check. a personnel man he never was...coach em up?...always. we're a broken franchise and i fear that we're "cursed" for leaving rfk.

In early 2006 Gibbs needed to delegate some of the personnel duties to a younger front office guy with an eye for talent. Instead he paid $2M to acquire an offensive coordinator who he has refused to let run his offense the past 2 years.

Go figure that one out...........

I certainly agree with the statements above, however, our team isn't that bad. I truely believe that if we don't run that gay "jumbo" package ever again in the redzone we will be ok. In the last two weeks we have been in the redzone 7 times and have not scored td's. All 7 times we have ran that god awful jumbo package. I really think I tweek here or there in the redzone 4 play playbook, and we would be sitting 6-3.

In early 2006 Gibbs needed to delegate some of the personnel duties to a younger front office guy with an eye for talent. Instead he paid $2M to acquire an offensive coordinator who he has refused to let run his offense the past 2 years.

Go figure that one out...........

Man I love your posts, Bulldog.

There's no possible spin you can put on it. Gibbs is responsible for this, and he bought into Snyder's quick fix, throw money at the problem mentality from day one.

Gee I wish some of the posters here could be the coach, Gibbs is a terrible coach and could never build a Super Bowl tea......er......a.......wait a minute......

I love it, another blind follower. Have you ever heard the phrase, "what have you done for me lately?"

Even the almighty JG has to be asked this question.

I guess it's easier for you to sit there and live in the 80's or la la land, and pretend nothing is wrong.

Here's another question, do you still peg your jeans, wear windbreaker pants, listen to def leopard, sport a mullet, or think Ronny Reagan is president?

Catch up to us, we live in 2007

I love it, another blind follower. Have you ever heard the phrase, "what have you done for me lately?"

Even the almighty JG has to be asked this question.

I guess it's easier for you to sit there and live in the 80's or la la land, and pretend nothing is wrong.

Here's another question, do you still peg your jeans, wear windbreaker pants, listen to def leopard, sport a mullet, or think Ronny Reagan is president?

Catch up to us, we live in 2007

No I just think that 1) If anyone on this board could do better that JG they would be coaching and 2) It is not JG dropping balls and jumping off sides.

No I just think that 1) If anyone on this board could do better that JG they would be coaching and 2) It is not JG dropping balls and jumping off sides.

joe gibbs signed adam archuleta and brandon lloyd.

joe gibbs is calling draw plays on 3rd and 7 inside the 10.

joe gibbs blatantly has no confidence in the QB he spent so much on to draft.

joe gibbs coaches scared, and never takes any chances when the game is on the line.

joe gibbs has coached a team for 4 years now that has blown 42% of its halftime leads. this stat is beyond amazing, it has to be pretty difficult to be up at halftime only to curl up and die by the 4th quarter. its happened 3 times this season already.

joe gibbs signed adam archuleta and brandon lloyd.

joe gibbs is calling draw plays on 3rd and 7 inside the 10.

joe gibbs blatantly has no confidence in the QB he spent so much on to draft.

joe gibbs coaches scared, and never takes any chances when the game is on the line.

joe gibbs has coached a team for 4 years now that has blown 42% of its halftime leads. this stat is beyond amazing, it has to be pretty difficult to be up at halftime only to curl up and die by the 4th quarter. its happened 3 times this season already.

Preach on brother, finally someone who understands either Gibbs himself needs to change his philosophy or he's gotta go!

Yesterday on post game live, B Mitch was saying, "why does our coach preach, every game will be close" Why not get the mind set to blow out a team and finish them off!!!???

I love the posters who say, can you coach better??? give me a break.

the problem with your analysis is that Gibbs and his staff are responsible in large part for bringing in the players that you are now ready to discard :)

Gibbs wanted Brunell. He traded for him. The decision to go in that direction rather than draft and develop a young quarterback in 2004, or to acquire a younger free agent had a LOT to do with the missteps that first season where the club had a top 3 defense but an offense where there was no deep ball due to #8.

#8 came back in 2005 and played well, but at 36 unfortunately was too far beyond his prime to be part of anything more than a one-season resurgence.

?

With respect to Brunell, he sucked when that **** giants player hit his knee. He would've played better in the playoffs, but that injury ruined him.

Gibbs is a problem, but you gotta give him credit for giving us a better team than he inherited.

Archived