Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Realistically, How Good Are We Right Now?

Oldfan

There's no way in hell any reasonable interpretation of what I wrote can come up with panicking about this season.[/quote....

The point is...due to injury and/or inexperience I don't believe anyone can read anything of significance into the season so far.

We are far too inconsistent-perhaps for a variety of reasons, but we cannot make solid judgements about much on this team in its current state.

That's why IMO you cannot make a "realistic" assertion one way or the other of how good certain players, coaches, or the team as a whole is...

We don't yet know what the reality of the team is.

There's no way in hell any reasonable interpretation of what I wrote can come up with panicking about this season.[/quote....

The point is...due to injury and/or inexperience I don't believe anyone can read anything of significance into the season so far.

We are far too inconsistent-perhaps for a variety of reasons, but we cannot make solid judgements about much on this team in its current state.

That's why IMO you cannot make a "realistic" assertion one way or the other of how good certain players, coaches, or the team as a whole is...

We don't yet know what the reality of the team is.

How do injuries prevent one from making judgments on our roster's talent?

We got a better reading on our O line depth when Jansen and Thomas went down than we would have otherwise. Watching Wade pull a groin and Heyer stretch a hammy trying to prevent Aaron Kampman from bull rushing them back into Campbell's lap was enlightening.

How does inexperience prevent one from making judgments?

Some inexperienced players look better than others. You allow for it when assessing their performance.

We got a better reading on our O line depth when Jansen and Thomas went down than we would have otherwise. Watching Wade pull a groin and Heyer stretch a hammy trying to prevent Aaron Kampman from bull rushing them back into Campbell's lap was enlightening.

Some inexperienced players look better than others. You allow for it when assessing their performance.

I agree. A team is only as good as it's 45th player.

Enlightening on Wade maybe.....enlightening on a guy playing his 1st or 2nd quarter of professional regular season football maybe not so much.

The judgements you are making in that instance are snap judgements, which may be fine for the purposes of mental excerise, but IMO not of much quality.

If Heyer came out and dominated someone a week after the Greenbay game....would you then use the average of the two performances....or simply state the dominating game was his true potential...that he needs to hit everytime. Moreover, how would you assess a domiunating performance, and how would you quickly dismiss a guy for injury? What if Heyer was playing hurt before he came off the field? What if it was a freak accident and not a result of the opposing talent?

To have speculation about such events is a snap judgement which more often than not-are shallow judgements.

All will be well next season if we sign Jared Allen to take over at LDE for Daniels and possibly look at DT Albert Haynesworth. Sign those two guys and Gibbs can be as conservative as he wants within reason and rely upon the defense to solidify wins.

To me it's simple. The single biggest factors in winning are a team's ability to protect their own QB while harrassing the opponent's on a consistent basis. That's a major reason why the Colts were able to maintain a ten point lead into the fourth quarter against the Patriots and that is also why they ultimately lost. The Patriot's got to Peyton late in the game often in large part because his starting LT was not playing and of course missing Marvin certainly didn't help matters.

Go heavy on the D line in the offseason with Allen and possibly Haynesworth. We will likely have to say goodbye to Springs, Griffin and possibly Marcus, but if that's the case, I'm all for it personally. If we address the DL in a major way I think that in and of itself will propel us to the next level more than anything else.

I think your count's off -- but that's not important-- because the Chargers big improvement is in the last three years and has a plausible explanation -- their 2004 draft. Now, what do we have in our recent past that would improve us as much as their big draft year did for them?

Umm. A developing quarterback with a huge upside. :)

As of right now, we are not quite as good as our record indicates. We are not a playoff team. Right NOW.

SEVERAL of us have said this in different ways many times. And I think I have heard a number of experts talk about the Skins schedule till now has been difficult with G.B., N.Y and N.E....or 3 losses to those teams and they have a combined record of something like 22-3.

So now we go into the 2nd half..but the Skins need to play with a chip in the shoulder and seek revenge in the N.Y. game. The best part is the final Dallas game is at home and the Cowboys may have locked up the division so they could rest T.O. and Romo sits to pee.

All will be well next season if we sign Jared Allen to take over at LDE for Daniels and possibly look at DT Albert Haynesworth. Sign those two guys and Gibbs can be as conservative as he wants within reason and rely upon the defense to solidify wins.

I agree those players would move us up dramatically. I don't know their contract situations, though. Right off the top, getting two like that sounds like wishful thinking, but who knows?

Well we need a QB, Campbell is not a NFL caliber QB and I don't believe he ever will be. Also we need young backup lineman with potential not old retread has beens. Stock the O-line with a lot of young guys who may not be ready for prime time yet and let them develop1, guys like Heyer have shown that they can pull spot duty and do a pretty good job at it. We need someone to replace Daniels and a stud DT who can step in when Griffin is hurt and not have the defense go to hell.

Enlightening on Wade maybe.....enlightening on a guy playing his 1st or 2nd quarter of professional regular season football maybe not so much.

I used the word enlightening. I didn't say I'd made up my mind.

In my first post and those that followed, I'm saying that the hype about these players coming out of Redskin Park and being repeated slavishly by posters on this board doesn't persuade me that we have a wealth of up and coming talent on this team. Let them make some plays. Show me something. If our young players showed me something on the field, I'd be more optimistic about the team's future. I wouldn't care what our record was this year.

I used the word enlightening. I didn't say I'd made up my mind.

In my first post and those that followed, I'm saying that the hype about these players coming out of Redskin Park and being repeated slavishly by posters on this board doesn't persuade me that we have a wealth of up and coming talent on this team. Let them make some plays. Show me something. If our young players showed me something on the field, I'd be more optimistic about the team's future. I wouldn't care what our record was this year.

For a long time, we had young players on our roster that we're not really doing anything special. I mean, they practiced hard, worked hard and were good enough althetes but they were just not making plays. Still do in a few of them but all of a sudden, the light came on and now, they are playing pretty good football. I don't know when or why some players get it but I do know that it takes some players longer then others. All of a sudden, it's like one day they wake up and have it figured out. Just gotta stick with it IMO.

SEVERAL of us have said this in different ways many times. And I think I have heard a number of experts talk about the Skins schedule till now has been difficult with G.B., N.Y and N.E....or 3 losses to those teams and they have a combined record of something like 22-3.

We'll see how the year plays out. An eight-game sample size isn't much to go on, but it is odd that we have three wins that felt like losses -- and the Green Bay game that felt more like a win.

For a long time, we had young players on our roster that we're not really doing anything special. I mean, they practiced hard, worked hard and were good enough althetes but they were just not making plays. Still do in a few of them but all of a sudden, the light came on and now, they are playing pretty good football. I don't know when or why some players get it but I do know that it takes some players longer then others. All of a sudden, it's like one day they wake up and have it figured out. Just gotta stick with it IMO.

I'm curious. It's hard to believe that Romo sits to pee improved that much sitting on the bench for so long. Did Parcells underrate him?

Also we need young backup lineman with potential not old retread has beens. Stock the O-line with a lot of young guys who may not be ready for prime time yet and let them develop1, guys like Heyer have shown that they can pull spot duty and do a pretty good job at it.

We've done that for years before Gibbs arrived (or Bugel, I guess I should say)...none of the young guys we "stocked on the O-line" are even on the team anymore...and I doubt any of them have gone on to become starters anywhere else. Those "retreads" you seem to disdain as backups are excellent to have as O-line depth because many of them have had starting experience and most of them will not be required to fill in more than 4 games or so. You do want youth in your depth, yes, but you do NOT want to throw out veteran depth simply because of the year they were born.

As for the original question, I'd say the Skins are average right about now...which for the NFL means anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7. Since we're at 5 wins already it seems more likely that we'll end up around 9-7 than around 7-9. Injuries have been a mf this season, much like last season. Thank the football Gods (and even the FO) that we have had the depth to soften the blow and still pull out some ugly wins.

If some things bounce our way and/or if Campbell starts playing at a higher level, the 9-7 should become 10-6, possibly more...

I hope so, but it's developing a little too slowly to excite me. The best young QB on the field in the Jets game wasn't ours. That disappointed me.

I agree with you in regards to Clemens. I was very impressed by the way he played. Great poise in the pocket and knew when to throw it away. JC played well enough for us to get the W though. He made some plays when we needed them. The reason I'm still so hopeful about JC is that he has all the physical tools and a great attitude / work ethic. By next season I'm expecting him to be playing at a level similar to Romo sits to pee. Time will tell...

We've done that for years before Gibbs arrived (or Bugel, I guess I should say)...none of the young guys we "stocked on the O-line" are even on the team anymore...and I doubt any of them have gone on to become starters anywhere else. Those "retreads" you seem to disdain as backups are excellent to have as O-line depth because many of them have had starting experience and most of them will not be required to fill in more than 4 games or so. You do want youth in your depth, yes, but you do NOT want to throw out veteran depth simply because of the year they were born.

I don't put much value in the retreads either. These are players who have already proven they can't play at a high level. One or two of these players on your roster, maybe. But, when your depth is comprised of retreads taking up roster slots, it's the sign of a failed personnel policy.

I don't put much value in the retreads either. These are players who have already proven they can't play at a high level. One or two of these players on your roster, maybe. But, when your depth is comprised of retreads taking up roster slots, it's the sign of a failed personnel policy.

A young backup O-lineman will not have proven he can play at a high level, either. Usually the "retreads" have, at some point in their career, started numerous games or numerous seasons. At the point in their careers where they're backups, they may not be able to carry the starting position for a full season, but they CAN and often DO come in for a 4 game stretch and do well with proven starters on their left or right (or both). Wade would play better with Randy Thomas next to him...Fabini would play better when playing between Rabach and Jansen...etc, etc. But Wade and Fabini playing next to each other for 14 weeks?

Starting next year, we'll probably start seeing more youth as backups again because of having more draft picks. We made a youth movement towards the D-line depth 2 years ago and one towards the LB depth this year. O-line should be next.

Starting next year, we'll probably start seeing more youth as backups again because of having more draft picks. We made a youth movement towards the D-line depth 2 years ago and one towards the LB depth this year. O-line should be next.

Hope so. I think that the notion that we should take the rejected vet who has played some because he's known to be at least mediocre, is almost a guarantee of mediocre roster.

If you simply can't find a promising kid who might start for you someday, and you have to fill a roster slot with the league's 100th best player at that position, well, that's another matter.

We'll see how the year plays out. An eight-game sample size isn't much to go on, but it is odd that we have three wins that felt like losses -- and the Green Bay game that felt more like a win.

You know, it's interesting that you say this. Most people are ranking GB as one of the top teams in the NFC, and I think they should be ranked as such right now but, look at how there winning.

They beat Philly 16/13, they beat SD 31/24, they beat you guys 17/14, they beat Denver 19/13 and KC had them with a little over 3 minutes to go before Favre throws a 60 yard Bomb for a TD to go ahead by 1. If that thing isn't completed for the TD, the subsiquent turn over on downs and INT probably doesn't happen from KC. They probably get the ball back and try and kill the clock. GB could easily have lost that game.

I mean, your not winning in spectacular fashion, that's true. However, neither are a lot of teams these days. That's how the NFL is. You have a couple of real good teams and then you have a bunch of even teams that a call here, a play there, a missed assignment over there, make all the difference in an L or a W. To me, that just further illustrates the point of coaching. In todays NFL, the teams who are better coached usually do have the advantage.

Archived