Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jury Awards Father $2.9M in Funeral Case - Westboro Baptist Church

Destino

I hear you, that's the easy way out, though. It's always easiest to deny freedom of speech when the speech is downright ugly, however, it's that speech that needs to treated with the most care when attempting to censor it because denying it tears at the very fabric of the freedoms our country embodies. At least that's how I feel.

It should be noted that the right to free speech is not unlimited. It never has been construed as such.

You have things such as defamation, which one could argue is free speech, or "fighting words," which is like inciting a riot. Not all speech is protected speech.

If I remember correctly, anything having to do with desecration of a funeral or the corpse a family member pretty much falls right into the house of intentional infliction of emotional distress.

It should be noted that the right to free speech is not unlimited. It never has been construed as such.

You have things such as defamation, which one could argue is free speech, or "fighting words," which is like inciting a riot. Not all speech is protected speech.

If I remember correctly, anything having to do with desecration of a funeral or the corpse a family member pretty much falls right into the house of intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Sure, but protesting one thousand feet away when there is no indication that you have any particular animus against this individual soldier or his family makes it a bit more complicated.

Sure, but protesting one thousand feet away when there is no indication that you have any particular animus against this individual soldier or his family makes it a bit more complicated.

The funeral is the reason they're there.

They say so.

(Although, a little voice keeps saying "and the difference between that, and the Nazis marching through a Jewish neighborhood in Skokie, or the KKK in southeast, is?")

They say so.

(Although, a little voice keeps saying "and the difference between that, and the Nazis marching through a Jewish neighborhood in Skokie, or the KKK in southeast, is?")

That is correct. I was assuming based on prior behavior.

Interesting.... If they were really 1000 feet away (roughly 1/5 of a mile) then that's very interesting to say the least.

I'd have to know more facts, but I can just say that Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress is a VERY difficult case to win. There must have been something very extreme going on in order to get a plaintiff's verdict.

If you get more facts about this case, I'd be curious. :)

That is correct. I was assuming based on prior behavior.

Interesting.... If they were really 1000 feet away (roughly 1/5 of a mile) then that's very interesting to say the least.

I'd have to know more facts, but I can just say that Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress is a VERY difficult case to win. There must have been something very extreme going on in order to get a plaintiff's verdict.

More due diligence is needed, you're right. However, based on what I've read previously of how they operate, I'd say the "something very extreme" is likely the opinions and positions of the Westboro people, unfortunately, and that they were a prime factor in why a jury was able to find them liable. I hope that's not the case.

More due diligence is needed, you're right. However, based on what I've read previously of how they operate, I'd say the "something very extreme" is likely the opinions and positions of the Westboro people, unfortunately, and that they were a prime factor in why a jury was able to find them liable. I hope that's not the case.

They say so.

Yes the funeral is the reason they are there. But the protest is against the US Government and American Society, not the individual soldier (or father).

This is a very hard case.

They say so.

Yes the funeral is the reason they are there. But the protest is against the US Government and American Society, not the individual soldier (or father).

This is a very hard case.

I dont think you'd have too tough a time showing substantial certainty that emotional distress would result or that it was extreme and outragous conduct.... to me the tough one would be showing severe emotional damage.

I dont think you'd have too tough a time showing substantial certainty that emotional distress would result or that it was extreme and outragous conduct.... to me the tough one would be showing severe emotional damage.

Archived