Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could an NFC All-Star Team beat an AFC one?

JaimeDeCurry

After watching the Pats steamroll yet again, a friend suggested that not even an NFC All-Star team could beat them. We argued about it for a while, then the discussion then turned to this - could an NFC All-Star team beat an AFC one? Sort of a Pro Bowl for real?

Is the NFL talent pool really that concentrated in the AFC? Or is it just spread a lot more thinly in the NFC, which is why there are some god-awful bottom feeders in the AFC?

My NFC All-Star Team:

RB - Adrian Peterson, Brian Westbrook

Adrian Peterson could be the best straight-up runner in the NFC has seen in a long while; he's averaging a first down once every 4 carries. Westbrook is just dangerous in a lot of ways.

FB - Mike Sellers

Sellers cannot be tackled by one player, straight up.

WR - Plaxico Burress, Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith

Four big, fast, physical receivers, and a perfect tough speed guy in Steve Smith. Not sure which order I'd start them in.

TE - Jason Witten, Chris Cooley, Jeremy Shockey

In that order. The NFCE triumvirate of awesome tight ends. I thought about Alge Crumpler, but I know how dangerous these guys are, and would put them on an All-Star team in a heartbeat.

QB - Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo sits to pee

Call me crazy, but I'm starting Garcia. He's the only NFC QB with more than 100 passes and over 70% completion. And as we saw last year with Philly, he wins tough games.

OL - Redskins (healthy)

I'd take the Redskins line all healthy over any in the NFC when it comes to balance. What the Cowboys' line is doing right now, I think the 'Skins line would be doing even better with Jansen and Thomas back and all the guys healthy again.

**Ok, so I cheated and just picked one line instead of individual players. You guys do better :silly:**

DT - Shaun Rogers, Tommie Harris, Darnell Dockett

Tommie Harris does it all, and stick him next to the mountain of a man that is Shaun Rogers, and you'd have a hell of an interior line. Rotate Dockett in with them, and it gets even more dangerous.

DE - Julius Peppers, Justin Tuck, DeWayne White

Peppers is a freak. Tuck has just played lights out this season, and is always around the ball...he's playing better this season than Osi in my opinion. As for White, it's hard to argue with 20 solo tackles, 4.5 sacks, 4 passes batted down, one intercepted for a TD, and 2 forced fumbles.

MLB - Brian Urlacher, Antonio Pierce

It doesn't really matter who your backup is here, but I think Pierce is probably the 2nd best MLB in the NFC right now.

OLB - Lance Briggs, DeMarcus Ware, Michael Boley, Rocky McIntosh

I picked these guys for their versatility. They all have the skills set to do everything a good OLB needs to do. I tried to pick them based solely off talent, not what they're required to do in their current defense.

CB - Nate Clements, Terrence Newman, DeAngelo Hall, any #4

These three are my starters and nickel. I think there's tons of other pretty good corners in the NFC, and it would depend who was on the AFC roster in determining who you picked.

SS - Adrian Wilson, Roy Williams

Wilson is definitely the best strong safety in the NFC right now, with Williams a close second.

FS - Sean Taylor, Brian Dawkins

I'd start Taylor simply based on talent level, but we all know how good Dawkins is when he's not trying to tackle someone named Mike Sellers.

P - Matt McBriar

K - Josh Brown

PR/KR - Devin Hester

So after that long, drawn out roster explanation, is there really that much more talent in the AFC? Would an AFC All-Star team blow this team out of the water? Or does the talent match up pretty well?

Feel free to share your opinions on the roster, or your AFC roster as well.

After watching the Pats steamroll yet again, a friend suggested that not even an NFC All-Star team could beat them. We argued about it for a while, then the discussion then turned to this - could an NFC All-Star team beat an AFC one? Sort of a Pro Bowl for real?

Is the NFL talent pool really that concentrated in the AFC? Or is it just spread a lot more thinly in the NFC, which is why there are some god-awful bottom feeders in the AFC?

My NFC All-Star Team:

Adrian Peterson could be the best straight-up runner in the NFC has seen in a long while; he's averaging a first down once every 4 carries. Westbrook is just dangerous in a lot of ways.

FB - Mike Sellers

WR - Plaxico Burress, Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith

Four big, fast, physical receivers, and a perfect tough speed guy in Steve Smith. Not sure which order I'd start them in.

In that order. The NFCE triumvirate of awesome tight ends. I thought about Alge Crumpler, but I know how dangerous these guys are, and would put them on an All-Star team in a heartbeat.

Call me crazy, but I'm starting Garcia. He's the only NFC QB with more than 100 passes and over 70% completion. And as we saw last year with Philly, he wins tough games.

OL - Redskins (healthy)

I'd take the Redskins line all healthy over any in the NFC when it comes to balance. What the Cowboys' line is doing right now, I think the 'Skins line would be doing even better with Jansen and Thomas back and all the guys healthy again.

**Ok, so I cheated and just picked one line instead of individual players. You guys do better :silly:**

Tommie Harris does it all, and stick him next to the mountain of a man that is Shaun Rogers, and you'd have a hell of an interior line. Rotate Dockett in with them, and it gets even more dangerous.

DE - Julius Peppers, Justin Tuck, DeWayne White

Peppers is a freak. Tuck has just played lights out this season, and is always around the ball...he's playing better this season than Osi in my opinion. As for White, it's hard to argue with 20 solo tackles, 4.5 sacks, 4 passes batted down, one intercepted for a TD, and 2 forced fumbles.

It doesn't really matter who your backup is here, but I think Pierce is probably the 2nd best MLB in the NFC right now.

I picked these guys for their versatility. They all have the skills set to do everything a good OLB needs to do. I tried to pick them based solely off talent, not what they're required to do in their current defense.

CB - Nate Clements, Terrence Newman, DeAngelo Hall, any #4

These three are my starters and nickel. I think there's tons of other pretty good corners in the NFC, and it would depend who was on the AFC roster in determining who you picked.

Wilson is definitely the best strong safety in the NFC right now, with Williams a close second.

I'd start Taylor simply based on talent level, but we all know how good Dawkins is when he's not trying to tackle someone named Mike Sellers.

P - Matt McBriar

K - Josh Brown

PR/KR - Devin Hester

So after that long, drawn out roster explanation, is there really that much more talent in the AFC? Would an AFC All-Star team blow this team out of the water? Or does the talent match up pretty well?

I don't believe an NFC All-Star team could beat an AFC one. I do, however, believe that an NFC All-Star team could be any team in the AFC 10 times out of 10. If they weren't thrown together and practiced for a week like the Pro Bowl? The AFC would have no chance.

The AFC, in general, isn't that much better than the NFC. It's the two best QBs in the game which both happen to be in the AFC that is the difference. They're the two best by far.

I don't believe an NFC All-Star team could beat an AFC one. I do, however, believe that an NFC All-Star team could be any team in the AFC 10 times out of 10. If they weren't thrown together and practiced for a week like the Pro Bowl? The AFC would have no chance.

The AFC, in general, isn't that much better than the NFC. It's the two best QBs in the game which both happen to be in the AFC that is the difference. They're the two best by far.

You're insane if you don't put Osi at DE.

You think? I mean, aside from that Eagles game I don't think he's been playing THAT outstanding. Every time I watch the Giants, Tuck is blowing people up and dragging down the ball carrier. Osi had one dominating game, Tuck has been playing at a high level all season.

You're insane if you don't put Osi at DE.

You think? I mean, aside from that Eagles game I don't think he's been playing THAT outstanding. Every time I watch the Giants, Tuck is blowing people up and dragging down the ball carrier. Osi had one dominating game, Tuck has been playing at a high level all season.

My NFC All-Star Team:

FB - Mike Sellers

OL - Redskins (healthy)

DE - Julius Peppers,Aaron Kampman , DeWayne White

CB - Nate Clements,Al Harris ,Terrence Newman, DeAngelo Hall

P - Matt McBriar

K - Josh Brown

PR/KR - Devin Hester

fixed

Archived