Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harper's Magazine: "Parties of God"

headexplode

People throw the word Democracy all the time...but its unrealistic and just a fantasy. I really don't get why everyone HAS to choose democracy according to the proponents of spreading it. It sounds noble but in reality, the means used to institute it become as corrupt as any fascist dictatorship...regardless of religion.

Democracy will always turn into a Plutocracy because money = influence and the rich will always have the majority of influence over law making. The U.S. in particular, however, was built on Democratic principles, is supposed to be a Constitutional Republic, yet is currently Plutocratic Republic.

What I really don't get how people can think its viable to force countries and regions that have been something other than Democratic Republics for thousands of years by ideals alone...it has to be fought for and maintained by its people (like France..which actually has more integrity concerning Democracy then US) . The only reason for coercion, in my opinion, is for outsiders to try and exploit it for economic reasons because Diplomacy through government would usually fail as a means to do so (which is exactly what the US has done in the case of the Middle East and with certain nations in the Caribbean and South America). Diplomacy really doesn't need to be based on the type of government used. Its more about the leaders' agendas then the type of government...in other words...throwing the word 'Democracy' around is really irrelevant, especially in articles such as these.

There has certainly been many mistakes dealing with the Palestinians,however not recognizing a terrorist group with the declared goal of eliminating the next country was not one of them. :2cents:

You do realize we ARE still giving them financial aid?

1. My understanding is that all money to the goverment has been shut off. There is still money going in through other organizations.

2. Don't recognize terrorist organizations. Recognize the democratically elected Palestanian goverment. Can a goverment be a terrorist organization?

People throw the word Democracy all the time...but its unrealistic and just a fantasy. I really don't get why everyone HAS to choose democracy according to the proponents of spreading it. It sounds noble but in reality, the means used to institute it become as corrupt as any fascist dictatorship...regardless of religion.

Certainly, trying to install democracy by military force is decidedly undemocratic.

That's why, if we truly want to see democracy flourish, we'll take a more diplomatic approach to bring the long-oppressed populations in the ME into the political process of their own countries. This policy is not a quick fix--it would take years, but in my mind, it's the only long-term solution there is. Invading a country and forcing them to be democratic while you continue to give support to despotic regimes may bring about short-term gains, but as we've seen countless times, a decade letter we'll be back trying to bomb our way out of trouble.

2. Don't recognize terrorist organizations. Recognize the democratically elected Palestanian goverment. Can a goverment be a terrorist organization?

A government can absolutely be a terrorist organization. Terrorism is simply violent acts committed against civilians for ideological or political goals.

And on twa's thought of not talking to terrorists, every US administration in recent memory was happy to welcome the head of Sinn Fein, elected or not to the White House even though they were the 'political wing' of the IRA terrorists in Northern Ireland.

Sinn Fein's goal was the overthrow of the Irish and British governments, and so they were hardly different animals from Hamas or Hezbollah.

1. My understanding is that all money to the goverment has been shut off. There is still money going in through other organizations.

My understanding is we are still providing humanitarian aid(Hamas ,predicto)

http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/display.html?p=washfile-english&y=2006&m=May&x=20060509171054ndyblehs0.4942743

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/07/us.palestinians/index.html

The United States will redirect about $100 million in increased funding toward basic humanitarian needs, such as health, food and education. Overall humanitarian assistance will rise by 57 percent to $287 million over several years, the State Department said.

The United States will also provide $40 million for promoting democracy.

About $13 million will be used to establish new vetting procedures, including a special inspector general, to ensure that humanitarian aid funneled through approved organizations does not end up benefiting Hamas, the department said.

Yes a government can be a terrorist organization(at least in our eyes)

My understanding is we are still providing humanitarian aid(Hamas ,predicto)

http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/display.html?p=washfile-english&y=2006&m=May&x=20060509171054ndyblehs0.4942743

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/07/us.palestinians/index.html

The United States will redirect about $100 million in increased funding toward basic humanitarian needs, such as health, food and education. Overall humanitarian assistance will rise by 57 percent to $287 million over several years, the State Department said.

The United States will also provide $40 million for promoting democracy.

About $13 million will be used to establish new vetting procedures, including a special inspector general, to ensure that humanitarian aid funneled through approved organizations does not end up benefiting Hamas, the department said.

I thought that right now our money was only going to the West Bank and that the Gaza (where Hamas rules) was cut off. Looks like a trickle of humanitarian aid is still going to Gaza.

Archived