Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible practice squadder for us

Zen-like Todd

TSN's evaluation:

"Davis has tremendous size and is surprisingly mobile, but he has a lot of work to do in the weight room. His lack of productivity as a senior is a concern, but he still is a big-time prospect and probably will be drafted in the second round."

The second round? This guy went in the seventh round and has already been cut by the Saints. It appears his "massive" frame is more fat than muscle. No Motivation + No Conditioning = No Job!!!!

From a draft site. Just interesting stuff.

Ennis Davis - Defensive Tackle - USC - 6'3 - 298 - 4.95/40

Davis is one of the hottest names in college football. Many notable scouts and publications are already mentioning him as a legitimate #1 pick candidate. Davis has great speed for a man his size, and incredible power. He fails to use his hands quite as well as he should, but with his short frame he can utilize his born with leverage and disrupt the blocking assignments of the guards and centers he is facing from week to week. Davis first got the attention of pro scouts as a sophomore when he posted a team high 13 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, and 47 tackles total. As the year went on, more and more opponents began to double and even triple team him. This, and problems arising from a serious knee injury in late 1998 hindered Davis throughout his junior campaign, last season. In 1999-2000, Daivs only racked up 31 tackles, although he did rack up an impressive 7 sacks. Davis also displayed an innate ability to locate the ball, forcing and recovering several fumbles, batting away passes, intercepting passes (2 last season, one for a 30 yard score), and blocking kicks. Did have a serious knee injury in late 1998, where several of his left knee ligaments were torn. However, he played reasonably well throughout 1999, and has looked real, real good during the spring workouts this season.The fact that Davis has been such a consistent force at the DT position warrants his already high 1st round consideration. That he has yet to truly explode makes him a legitimate #1 candidate. A better prospect than 2000 #6 pick Corey Simon. UPDATE: Has played inconsistently and seemingly uninspired all season. Potential still warrants a 1st round choice, but he no longer appears to be a blue-chip prospect. Look for him to slide into the 2nd-3rd round.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Football Insider seems to like his future.

99-ENNIS DAVIS University of Southern California Trojans 6:03.6-303

ANALYSIS…Positives...Smart, productive tackler with good initial quickness off the ball... Recognizes plays easily and is very alert in locating the ball...Has the power to stack and hold the plie at the line of scrimmage...Shows proper use of hands to gain leverage and the foot agility to generate fluid lateral movements...Stuffs and sheds quickly, thanks to s forceful hand jolt... Decisive in pursuit and goes low in his tackles to stop ball carriers at the line...Displays impressive power behind his hits...Has a burst to knife into the backfield and the acceleration to zero in on the quarterback once he penetrates...Hard worker in the weight room...Maintains body control on the move and has an explosive first step off the snap.

Negatives...More of a push rusher than one that displays technique...Lost a little quickness due to 1999 reconstructive knee surgery...Plays a little "soft" at times, leaning into blockers rather than trying to maul them...Can disappear for stretches, struggling to disengage when challenged by multiple blockers...Takes awhile to get into gear when he has to make pass rush adjustments on the move...Lacks suddenness coming out of his stance in order to penetrate and disrupt when shooting the gaps...Needs to refine his torso with more muscle tone.

CAREER NOTES…The three-year starter has been a disruptive force in opposing backfields since his sophomore year...Playing at less that 100% in 1999 due to reconstructive knee surgery, Ennis decided to bypass the draft that year to dedicate himself to rehabilitating for the 2000 campaign... Played in 48 games, starting 35 contests for the Trojans...Finished his career with 146 tackles, 15 sacks and 36 stops for losses of 115 yards...Also deflected thirteen passes.

REMINDS ME OF…Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates (with this guy, you never know what you are going to get)…Alright, you want me to compare him to a player, don’t you. Well, in that case, try future Denver Bronco Chester McGlockton.

GAZING INTO THE CRYSTAL BALL…Now is as good as time as any for this kid to start playing up to his awesome ability. Much like McGlockton, he showed us flashes of brilliance earlier in his career before trying to do his best imitation of "Where’s Waldo."

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Seattle P-I in reviewing the Saints draft.....

"The best pickup, though, could be Ennis Davis, who amazingly slipped all the way to round seven. Davis endured an up-and-down senior season at USC, which hurt his draft value. But the guy's a player."

------------------

Doom is in the box.

New Orleans guy reviewing his team's draft from the Saints Report....

Ennis Davis

SELECTED BY NEW ORLEANS ,

ROUND 7, OVERALL PICK 221

Mike Detillier's Evaluation:

Ennis was regarded as one of the top DL in the country when he came out of Reseda High School in California. He was a SuperPrep Magazine and USA Today newspaper All-American after racking up 115 tackles and 9 sacks as a senior. Ennis was also a top flight basketball performer and track athlete throwing the shot put in high school.

Davis was redshirted in 1996, while he rehabbed surgery performed on his right shoulder. Ennis was a top back-up performer in 1997 and he was the USC Defensive Player of the Year in 1998. davis racked up 47 tackles, 13 tackles for losses, 3 QB sacks, and 4 pass break-ups as a sophomore. He had surgery following the season to repair torn ligaments in his left knee that he suffered in the Sun Bowl game against TCU.

Davis started every game as a junior, but he seemed to really be bothered by the knee injury. In 1999, Ennis was in on 31 tackles, 7 tackles for losses, 2 pass interceptions and 5 QB sacks. Ennis had surgery to repair damage to his left knee and elbow in the off season of 2000. He lost about 20 pounds of weight and he was voted the USC Defensive Player of the Year in 2000. As a senior, Davis racked up 53 tackles, 10 tackles for losses, 6 QB sacks, 3 pass deflections and 1 forced fumble.

Ennis is a very good athlete for someone so large and he has good lateral speed and quickness. He uses his arms and hands very well to shed off blockers and he has a very quick initial surge cutting in between blockers. He holds the point well inside and he is strong against the run. Ennis has upgraded his work ethic and the time he spends in the weight room getting bigger and stronger.

He has good pass rush skills and techniques and he has been well-schooled in college by USC defensive line coach Ed Orgeron. Davis has good pursuit skills and he does a nice job of running down backs. Davis has been a bit of an inconsistent performer in college. When his motor runs hot, he has been a real force inside, but many times he seemed to coast along and not give 100% effort.

Davis has worked to get in better shape and he has upgraded his work ethic and consistency, especially as a senior. He has also had a pretty long list of injuries in college and that needs do be looked at closely. Swift, athletic big man, who has quick hands and feet, but he must play with better consistency and effort to reach his maximum potential in the pros. Many have compared Ennis to former USC and current Oakland Raiders DT Darrell Russell, but he is not quite as big, physical or as quick.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

It's a shame....he seems to have alot of the qualities you look for in a DT prospect. I suspect the knee injury did more than affect him physically, but also from a mental motivational standpoint. Just not willing to put the work into making himself better and adding moves to his tool box.

I sincerely help Monds turns out to be willing to work and make himself better. With conditioning and coaching, Monds might be a serviceable DT in this league. The staff needs to find his button somewhere on that blob of a body. laugh.gif

To me, Davis is a better prospect than Cowsette and DeLoach, either or both of whom threaten to make this football team. If you can bring him in for a look, it would be hard to argue with. Here's a guy that seems to be well-thought of, in terms of draft status. Perhaps being cut will let him know life isn't an easy thing. He does seem a lot like Monds. Give Marty two chances to motivate a guy, and I'm guessing he goes 1 for 2 at least smile.gif.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

That's interesting in light of this snippet from ESPN:

"Word is the Saints are extremely frustrated with rookie defensive tackle Kenny Smith. While head coach Jim Haslett believes the third-round pick has more natural ability than any lineman on the team -- which is really saying something -- Smith's poor techniques, especially in terms of leverage, have irritated Saints coaches to no end."

The Saints seem to be getting frutrated with their young tackles.

No question we keep Monds this year. It's almost a must to see what you can mold him into. I just wonder if Davis wouldn't be a satisfactory guy to bring in in place of some of the questions we all have. Of course, an unknown piece of cr@p has in common with a known piece of cr@p, one trait smile.gif.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

He certainly sounds like a steal. But all those articles were written before the draft. After training camp, the guy who'se seen more of him than any of these writers thinks he can't even ride the bench.

(Unless you think they're being sneaky, and trying to get him onto the practice squad for a year or two).

But I think I may have to go with Art.

1) If there's a team that needs DLs worse than we do, I'm not aware of them. (OK, maybe Dallas).

2) If there's a coach who knows more about how to motivate a guy with talent, I'm not aware of him. (Maybe Parcells).

And if somebody better comes along next week, then we can still get rid of him.

[edited.gif by Larry on August 28, 2001.]

Damn, lot's of action in this thread during the time I took to go to dinner, most of it from Art sending himself messages smile.gif.

I concur with those likening Monds to Ennis Davis. New Orleans is pretty much completely set on their D-line, so I'm not totally surprised this happened. I dont think they are in a place where they want to work with project defensive tackles. We on the other hand, could stand to take some projects and work with them. Worst case, we double our chances of having a big, fat, surprisingly athletic, lazy defensive tackle work out in the long run. smile.gif

TCO, I was just presenting a multitude of write ups so we could all form an opinion on young Mr. Davis smile.gif.

I think had we picked Davis in the fourth round, we'd all be here today talking about what a steal we got and talking about how much hope we have for Davis to get the most of his ability under Marty. To me, if this guy is available, you take him and essentially count him as another draft pick.

If he doesn't work out, you cut him. For $100, the cost of a waiver wire move, you can't go wrong. Tell Marty, being the cost conscious guy he is, to give me a call and I'll flip the bill smile.gif.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Funny VoR, I don't remember Beano Cook saying that Ennis would win three Outland Trophies. biggrin.gif

Sure, why not sign him? It doesn't alarm me that the Saints, who want to make a playoff push this year and who have arguably the best defensive line in the league, not to mention the best DT tandem, cut someone because they didn't want to wait while he developed. But that also means that we probably can't count on him to really contribute much this year.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

Problem with realistically expecting the Redskins to get this guy or more importantly any other serious DT talent is that is you look around the league there are about a dozen other teams needing that same DL help.

My guess is we better be perpared to play with what we have.

Long term we will be better off spending our unused cap on long term deals for some of our young building blocks.

PS. I actually think DeLoach will start and while not being spectacular will not be a big letdown from a Stubby.

Archived