Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Betts and CP on the same running play!!

tone_dubbz

Although the 2 plays show alot of variables, it's often easy to see that CP shows great patience in allowing that extra second before choosing his hole. I think Betts could've stayed behind Sellers here IF he waits that extra second for the lane to open. His choice was still a good one, though, if only he can run over Kawika Mitchell.

arent Betts and portis the same exact size?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/roster?team=was

We should have gave the ball to sellers...bottom line, run or pass im not sure...but sellers should have got it, the man is a beast on the goal line.

Look at sellers 2005 stats...he ran the ball once and scored, he had 6 TD's on 12 receptions

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=1686

meaning he touched the ball only 13 times and scored 7 touchdowns...im not real sure but im willing to bet that the majority of those were goal line situations

im not wrong

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uoJaO7njjc

See the difference between CP and Betts on the same running play.

Guys, McCardell is 37 as we all know. This is definitely his last season.

If we're bringing this guy in, does that mean Gibbs thinks we're going to make a run this season?

I don't know what you guys think, but I feel like this is just more proof that Gibbs is "all-in." It's now or never.

Randy Thomas not going on IR is also interesting. We relegated Bodiford to the PS (and thereby back to Green Bay) despite him being FIFTEEN years younger than McCardell. I'm not saying I disagree with the decision, but it certainly is "win-now."

We also picked up a bunch of free agents from teams on our schedule this season, and we gave Jason 7 warmup games before going into this season.

Teams have a "window" in which they can make a Super Bowl run. I didn't even know it was open, but if Gibbs thinks it is, I think it is.

After this week, I predict the Skins will light up the scoreboard on regular basis and really stretch the field. Look - even ESPN won't drop us below 14 on their power rankings. They sense it too. A Hall of Fame coach and a team with young, budding, explosive talent coupled with veteran leadership at key positions - and this time, we have a winning record to back it up.

It's true that Betts did not follow the block of Sellers which would have clearly led him into the end zone. On that particular play, Betts made a "costly mistake". :mad:

couldn't find a relevant thread, sorry for dragging this out, I woke up with this on my brain today...ugh...anyway looked at the plays again and to me it looks like Betts took such a shot on 3rd down that at on 4th he wanted no part of contact and fell down very easily, I mean c'mon that 4th down run was sooooo weak!...you can't tell me that many other backs wouldn't of gotten in... he had a ton of room if he really wanted it to the outside on 4th he showed no vision or desire....and a bigger back with more leg drive would have gotten in on 3rd where Betts did make a nice effort even tho he didn't follow 45 and if he had he might thave gotten in.

the one that bothers me the most of current backs that would have gotten in on those plays is Marion Barber....

Betts was rocked on 3rd and that's why he fell down on 4th....that is my theory and I am sticking to it....for now.

How about we cut Betts, fire Gibbs, Saunders and Williams, blow up the stadium, fire Cerrato (that might not be a bad idea actually), and all switch to being Raiders fans?

It really is time to move on. Should Betts have been in the game? I don't think so. Is there anything we can do about it? No. Lets just put it behind us and get ready for Detroit.

arent Betts and portis the same exact size?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/roster?team=was

We should have gave the ball to sellers...bottom line, run or pass im not sure...but sellers should have got it, the man is a beast on the goal line.

Look at sellers 2005 stats...he ran the ball once and scored, he had 6 TD's on 12 receptions

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=1686

meaning he touched the ball only 13 times and scored 7 touchdowns...im not real sure but im willing to bet that the majority of those were goal line situations

You're right, they are about the same size. So would you want them to run up the middle into 300lb linemen with 250lb MIKE linebackers behind them? Or would you prefer them take their chances against outside linebackers or possibly even corners/safeties? My point is we don't have a bruising running back in either Portis nor Betts. So play to their strengths and let Portis run to the outside and take advantage of his speed.

However, I do agree that Sellers should be looked at for running plays in goal line situations. The guy's not fast but speed's not of the essence for a 1 yard run. Though, for a pass you need to get open and speed is can be a factor here.

Either that or I'd like to see a split back formation with Portis and Betts in the backfield...

The cut was decent, but when it was Betts vs Mitchell, Betts turned to hit him with his shoulder and got knocked sideways. Even when Betts was on the ground crawling towards the endzone, he was crawling sideways, not forward.

Portis has a knack for falling forward and getting extra yards. I think that if Portis took that exact same hit by Mitchell, he probably would have scored.

After seeing that video, I don't blame the playcalling for us not scoring. The plays weren't the best, but there are a number of RBs in this league that I think should have been able to get into the endzone on that play, by following Sellers and/or taking Mitchell one on one. Portis is one of them.

Their big mistake was putting Betts in instead of Portis. They spiked the ball so they could get their package in. The package should have included Portis.

Archived