Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami's Defense VS. Eagles Defense

RedskinsFanatic

Really difficult to compare. Philly has better safeties (a better secondary period if not for the injury to Lito Sheppard), the defensive lines are comparable, and the Dolphins have better linebackers.

Also, it's hard to compare different defenses that play different styles. So much comes down to matchups. One defense might be better at stopping a run heavy team, while another is better against pass happy teams. Even that is oversimplifying matters. Different schemes are exploited in different ways. How all that works out is up for grabs.

that was one thing that concerned me in week one; we only put up 13 points (an OT fg dont count in my books) against an average to weak defensive unit.

I think if we stand any chance of winning tonigh, we must keep the eagles under 17 points.

I just have not seen enough from this offense to beleive that they can get into a gun slinging match a la Bengals vs. Browns yesterday. It might happen, but I would be very suprised to see it.

I would second what Pez posted; the Eagles are "quick"~ therefore, we need to be quicker. Don't underestimate the "D" for the Fins, it is their unstable QB that cost them the game yesterday~ anyone that watched Green at KC would second his instability in throwing. Dallas didn't beat them, the Fins beat "O" beat the Fins "D".

The Eagles have a much better secondary than does Miami. This is a very different defensive scheme from what Dom Capers runs, which is typically multiple defensive looks up front with soft zone coverage behind, and frequent zone blitzes. The Eagles play a more traditional 4-man front, but run a myriad of coverages out of which they will blitz almost anyone. I expect the Eagles to blitz frequently and give Campbell as many different looks as possible.

To counter, the Skins will probably (and expectedly) run the ball often, hoping to wear down the Eagles and possibly pop some big runs, which can happen if Portis or Betts can get past the first wave of defenders.

Also expect the Skins to run plays that take advantage of aggressive blitz schemes, such as delays and screen passes.

This Eagles' defense probably isn't as talented in the front seven as previous versions have been. But they will still give a young QB like Campbell fits because of their multiple coverages and blitz packages. The Skins, and Campbell, will have to be patient and persistent. The Eagles can force you into making mistakes, otherwise.

These comparisons threads are a little over rated. It varies week to week and matchup to matchup. Thats why I never go into a game thinking "this team beat them by that much so that means we will win by this much." Teams match up much differently with certain teams. Theres more familiararity with these two teams so im thinking they will be a little tougher then the dolphin defense.

An average to weak Defense? Dude they were ranked 4th last year. They have last years defensive player of the year. WTF?

The front seven of Miami are much better than the Beagle's front seven. Without Lito I say the secondary of Miami is at least as good.

Well, if that's the case, then Dallas sure manhandled them. I'm not sure if the D from Miami is resembling the D that was #4 overall last year. It's like what the skins "D" was before falling off the map last year, but not as bad.

But if the Skins expect to win this game, then the offense must step up a notch and not get raddled early. Because if the Eagles D gets the best of our offense early and gets a momentum going, forget it.

The Eagles have a much better secondary than does Miami. This is a very different defensive scheme from what Dom Capers runs, which is typically multiple defensive looks up front with soft zone coverage behind, and frequent zone blitzes. The Eagles play a more traditional 4-man front, but run a myriad of coverages out of which they will blitz almost anyone. I expect the Eagles to blitz frequently and give Campbell as many different looks as possible.

To counter, the Skins will probably (and expectedly) run the ball often, hoping to wear down the Eagles and possibly pop some big runs, which can happen if Portis or Betts can get past the first wave of defenders.

Also expect the Skins to run plays that take advantage of aggressive blitz schemes, such as delays and screen passes.

This Eagles' defense probably isn't as talented in the front seven as previous versions have been. But they will still give a young QB like Campbell fits because of their multiple coverages and blitz packages. The Skins, and Campbell, will have to be patient and persistent. The Eagles can force you into making mistakes, otherwise.

This really sums up the Eagles defense nicely. If i could also add on this post i feel that the Eagles front 4 are rather small. Obviously, this should benefit us with the size of our offensive line. Its going to be interesting to see how Al Saunders runs the ball tonight. Traditionally we are very successful running to the right side, with Jansen being out and Wade( who excels in run blocking) replacing him i wouldnt be surpised to see them run more to the left side behind Samuels and Kendall. If we can pound the rock and be successful we should be able to wear down this small defensive front.

This really sums up the Eagles defense nicely. If i could also add on this post i feel that the Eagles front 4 are rather small. Obviously, this should benefit us with the size of our offensive line. Its going to be interesting to see how Al Saunders runs the ball tonight. Traditionally we are very successful running to the right side, with Jansen being out and Wade( who excels in run blocking) replacing him i wouldnt be surpised to see them run more to the left side behind Samuels and Kendall. If we can pound the rock and be successful we should be able to wear down this small defensive front.

Well, they rotate, so I don't know about wearing down this D line.

But you can't run outside on this team. They have too much speed. It has to be straight ahead.

I actually think that matchup favors Philly. If the Skins Offense keeps the turnovers to a minimum, and chews up clock running while getting 17 points I'll be happy. It's the Redskins D vs Philly O that I'm more interested in.

boy these are some really good posts in summing up the differences between the Miami 'D' and the Iggle 'D'. It does seem like Philly's front four are somewhat smaller than other 4-3 defenses. I think JC will have to be ready for a lot of checkdowns early on and not go for the long bomb (even w/o Lito) if it's not there.

I agree that whoever has the least amount of turnovers will win the game. I truly hope that our defense can force some turnovers!

Actually, with the idea of the comparison of D-lines and the iggles being smaller... That will be better for JC. He should be able to see the blitz better. If he checks off correctly, they will be forced to lay off the blitz. I would love to see JC check off to a one on one with ARE or Moss! Those two guys will fight for the ball and it will only take one or two bombs to cool their blitz.

In my opinion, Philly has a good secondary. I still think they have uncertainty up front. I think our defense is looking better, still not nearly as tough as they used to be, but I do see they getting fired up for this one. I also think that Philly is always scary to play in Philly. Even if they don't have a great team, they're scary at home because of their fans.

Similar strengths on the defensive line, Miami has the better LBs and the Eagles have by far the better secondary.

Should be able to push them around a little in the running game but I'll be holding my breath every time Campbell goes back to pass. With the pressure they can apply and the playmaking ablility of their secondary, young QBs can be in for a long day. Johnson is a bit more aggressive as a playcaller, especially when he's facing a young QB.

Archived