Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: Is Shaq Racist?

goldenster95

You be the judge . . . from ESPN Insider . . .

Shaquille O'Neal may be one of the most beloved figures in the NBA, but his recent verbal attacks on Chinese big man Yao Ming is starting to raise a troubling question -- is Shaq a racist?

Some feel Shaq's recent comments in his escalating war of words with Yao have crossed the line from trash talk to racial slurs.

AsianWeek columnist Irwin Tang recently called out O'Neal for several derogatory comments thrown in Yao's direction.

"Tell Yao Ming, 'ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh.' " O'Neal said to a reporter recently in a mock Chinese accent.

When asked this summer how he would greet Yao, Shaq said his elbows would do the talking.

"Street," O'Neal said of what is awaiting Yao in the NBA. "Playing in a gym, shooting jumpers and all that ... that's fine. But I'm street. I'm how to take a 'bow to your nose and (make you) think about what I'm going to do next time down."

Those aren't the only times Shaq has threatened Yao or mocked him for being Chinese. And Shaq isn't the only one. Charles Barkley has had his fun with Yao. Even the league itself has perpetuated stereotypes, including a recent Miami Heat promotional giveaway of 8,000 fortune cookies.

Yao, ever the diplomat, has stayed above the fray. He has joked alongside Barkley, sparred a bit verbally with O'Neal and said he found the fortune cookie promotion amusing, even if the Chinese in China don't actually eat fortune cookies.

Insider talked to several people close to O'Neal on Thursday. All of them were emphatic that O'Neal is not a racist. He was trying to be funny, they explained, and would never intentionally degrade someone because of their race. In fact, they were quick to point out, the NAACP recently honored O'Neal with its Young Leaders Award.

But even if Shaq was simply trying to be funny, Tang thinks the NBA, and the media, are employing a double standard when it comes to Asians.

"Let's not beat around the bush," Tang writes. "If a white player had, for instance, made monkey sounds to taunt a black player, it would have been a national controversy. But Yao is Chinese and Asians are fair game ...

"Forgive my bitterness. I grew up in Texas, facing those 'ching-chong' taunts daily while teachers averted their ears. I love basketball, and when Yao was drafted by Houston, I had to suppress my excitement, lest he turn out a complete flop. I went to see the Rockets play the L.A. Clippers on Dec. 12. Yao is a huge young man with huge skills. But he's also a kid in a foreign land. You can tell by the way he carries himself when the ball is not in play. My heart goes out to Yao Ming. Yao Ming is our Asian Jackie Robinson, though he does not face the intensity of animosity Robinson faced. Unfortunately Shaquille O'Neal is the modern-day Ty Cobb, the rough-playing baseball superstar who used the n-word about Robinson."

Tang is not the only one ruffled by Shaq's comments. I've received several reader e-mails over the last week about the issue. One long-time Insider reader wrote me Thursday to express his sadness over Shaq's comments:

"If this is accurate, it is pretty reprehensible," he wrote. "Too bad Shaq did not attend the World Basketball Championships. He might have found it as culturally enlightening as the rest of us. I will never forget the vigor of the Argentinian crowd after Emanuel Ginobili dunked all over Russia, or the Chinese flag-waving, 4-foot-10 Yao fan at the US-China game. ... At least Allen Iverson has seen the light. Yao is truly, 'A gift from god.' "

In a league that has been the model for integration for all ethnic groups, the issue shouldn't just be swept under the rug. Only Shaq knows what his true intentions are. But the thing about racial remarks is that the pain felt by those on the receiving end is very real, even when the intentions are benign. The NBA knows China, and its billion-plus potential fans, deserves better.

Ironically, the NBA announced the results of the latest All-Star voting numbers Wednesday, and Yao had widened his lead over Shaq for the starting center position on the Western Conference team. While some look on in dismay -- Brent Musburger reportedly lamented on ABC's Christmas Day broadcast that "the hordes of China" (another veiled slur?) might stuff the All-Star ballot box -- others will see it as a sign of hope. Hope that the borders that still demarcate the game will one day dissolve. Hope that the league will include the fans who follow the NBA faithfully throughout the world. Hope that there will come a day when we embrace players based on their level of skill and the content of their character, and not on the color of their skin.

This is just dumb behavior by Shaq. I know he doesn't mean it maliciously, but come on, there is clearly a double (or triple or quadruple) standard on racism in athletics, but this one isn't questionable. Apologize for your comments and don't do it again.

On a side note, don't tell Bill Walton about this, or he might cry... either that or use it as another excuse to talk about Yao in every single game he covers. I like Yao and Walton, but it's getting a little ridiculous, I think it's hilarious, but I'm sure the majority of basketball fans are finding it obnoxious.

I see.

So this Irwin Tang thinks mocking someone's language and accent is the same as equating a race with an animal? Kind of shows where this moron is coming from. The racist here is pretty clear. The guy who thinks blacks and monkey's are on the same playing field as language mocking is pretty sad.

Yao Ming's response to Shaq's remark should be, "N*GGA PLEASE!"

Aight, dont have Shaq doing Yao like Meth did his Chinese roomate in How High.

I think these remarks can be seen as racist or degrading. Especially if someone like Yao or Mr. Tang takes offense to it. Shaq may have been just joking, but everybody doesnt always find jokes funny. I mean, if Yao gets mad or if this can hurt our relations with China (you know Bush is spendin major time on his knees with them), then I can see some sanctions coming for future things like this.

Sounds like some of you guys are a little racist yourselves. I totally agree with Art on this issue. Where does the mocking of monkeys come into play here? So this guy is basically calling blacks monkeys, correct? I don't remember hearing any blacks talking monkey language if I can recall. Now! if the guy said somthing a brother from the Hood or the ghetto would say, then that could be accepted. Better yet, if he said something in the manner of the african Language. But monkeys....Shaq should question his remarks and give him an elbow in the mouth for being just as much as an jerk or !quote! racist as he's (Shag) being put out to be.

Am I actually seeing you guys saying that making fun of someone's accent or language is racist? This is crazy. What's happened to this country. Shaq makes fun of the language someone speaks. Then others compare blacks to monkeys.

No wonder blacks are immune from being racist in this country. When we can actually put these two examples on any similar level you know just how much worse blacks have it than anyone else in this country.

Did anyone see the video of that comment? What was Shaq's body language and facial expression? Was he all smiles and laughing as he said it? Only Shaq knows if he was joking, but after Shaq found out that some people were upset by the comments. He should have apologized and stay away from those type of antics.

And Art is right on the money here about this guy Tang. That is a terrible analogy. This guy Tang is a professional writer and that is the best he could come up with? Sounds like the Pot po is calling the kettle black.

Until we can ALL joke with one and other about our racial differences there will be NO racial harmony. Of course, we are FAR from that point.

Racism isn't in someone's words, it's in their heart. TRUST ME, the guy that you never hear disagreeing with someone of different ethnicity is the first one you have to watch.

Quick, everyone... name the Colorado Rockies pitcher that made the insensitive, bigoted remarks last Spring Training.

As I said before, I don't agree with the analogy, but when I go to a Chinese restaurant I don't do my favorite Asian imitations. Thus, I feel, Shaq saying Tsing, Tao, Chang, Chung, Sah, Dah, Tee is an inapproprate, insensitive thing to say on the record to a reporter. It's a mockery whether it's racist or not. I have no personal stake in the matter, nor do I care, but you can't just say things like that. What if Theisman started saying similar syllables every time Dat Nguyen made a play on Sunday Night games. It's just a dumb thing to say. The analogy Tang made was horrible, but he does have a point in the article.

What we all forget is the Yao is a kid in a strange land. 7'5" or not, this kid is 20 YEARS OLD, right? I honestly think that Shaq has no hatred in his heart for the guy because of his ethnicity, but making fun of a kid (that can't even go to the store by himself yet and communicate) should be the issue here.

Yao is a little older than that. I think he's 22-24 or something, as he has already had a pro career in China, but you're right, it might not be racism perse, and I don't think Shaq has any ill will for him, but it's still a stupid thing to say. By the way, Mr. Redskin, how has anyone on this board shown themselves to be racist?

I know this thread will go on and on (until admins step in). Is Shaq racist? I don't know. Can you tell by one rather obviously insensitive statement? Depends on who you are, doesn't it?

If you're Shaq, you'll get the benefit of the doubt. Why? Lots of reasons, I guess. We don't normally view Asians as the victims of discrimination (but as Mr. Tang points out, clearly they are).

If you're Trent Lott, you aren't getting the benefit of the doubt. Southern white males had best tread lightly.

Race has been and continues to be the single most important fact of our national existence. Its impact is everywhere. But we're so used to denying it, its like a shadow. Nonetheless, it dicates where we live, where we socialize, where we shop, where we go to school and where we worship.

When folks send their kids to private schools, it's NEVER to keep their kids from going to school with those of other races, but it somehow always works that way.

Look around when you're at church. Does everyone look pretty much like you? There'll be a zillion reasons for that and I guarantee none of them will include an admission of racism.

Why do we even have gated communities? Would they exist if we were a completely homogenous nation? Perhaps, but I doubt it.

I'm a white male....a child of the 1950s. I grew up within a mile of the District of Columbia in a neighborhood where you never, ever saw a black person. D.C. at the time was the only major city where blacks were the majority.

Things have changed. Racism is less overt. But it still exists and probably always will.

When I'm an old man, I'll probably find out what it's like to be a minority, because America's demographics are changing. Hopefully I won't be on the receiving end of whatever it was my grandparents and great-grandparents dished out.

Excuse me, but MONKEYS is a very BOLD statement my friends, NO comparisons. If you have to sit back and think about if Shaq's comments were in the same frame as Tang's comments. Then your closed minded and could fall in the category of being a racist or being border line racist (you make the call). My friends, I'm not here to cause any friction nor make a national issue out of it. But to just remind some of you guys of how racist this country still is and don't even realize it, or want to. This is just the type of mind frame people are in when it comes to blacks, (MONKEYS).

This is an issue that stems and still lingers in the minds of NON-Afican Americans that started from slavery and has continued to this day 01/10/03. Afican Americans must continue to strive and fight the powers that be, and continue to fight for what they believe is right. Because this proud nation still considers the black !MAN! as monkeys. Yet! this proud nation would cheer and watch some of it's greatest athletes, wear these athletes jerseys on his/her back, pay millions to these black athletes. But still, consider these same human beings as monkeys behind closed doors.

That's just how sick some of our thinking can be and don't even realize it. Thank this great Nation for poisoning the minds of all Americans that's not African American.....

:shootinth

While I think Shaq might not be rascist, he was pretty stupid in making the comment. I really think he is a bit jealous of all the attention Yao is getting; coupled with his teams inability to win...

I think the real answer is that Shaq happens to be one of the ignorant, no-class basketball players that permeate the NBA. At least 90% of these guys are asses. And they can afford to be.

Until we realize we are all just Americans, not African, Asian, European, and whatnot Americans we will have problems. When I go to another country they don't say hey look there goes an European American. We all belong to one race, the Human one. If you not happy just being an American I’m sure your European, African, Asian, ancestors will welcome you back so you can live happily in your own culture.

Sometimes I feel like no matter how hard you try someone is always going to complain about something.

We will never stop hating each other until we find something to hate together. (that’s something history has taught us).

In no other country in the world do they care so much for every single citizen in it. Be grateful and realize how much better you really have it. America is not the majority in this world we are the lucky few.

Just because one guy says something he will probably later retract when confronted, does not mean we are all racists. The fact that it’s a unified call for a retraction shows you this country embraces everyone’s culture.

Boy I kinda went on a babble there anyways we have it better than most people realize. For every story of racisim there are 100 of kindness untold.

If you guys are waiting for someone like Shaq to fix this countries race-relations problems, you're as dumb as Shaq.

Look, he's the easy way to determine if a statement was insensitive: Would you say it to an Asian-American? Not unless you're a total prick. But was it racist? Well, in this country, anything insensitive said about blacks is considered racist (see your own reaction to Tang's analogy, which was also insensitive). Why wouldn't you consider Shaq's comment racist if you would consider a similiar comment made about a black player racist?

To me, racist implies some sense of racial superiority. I don't think Shaq meant that. And I don't think Tang meant that. So get off your politically-correct high horses and shut the F up.

It's not racist, it's dumb. Basketball players say dumb things everyday. Many of them can't get a sentence out without saying something dumb. But if all of you are looking for racism in their speech, you'll certainly find it, because a lot of the dumb things they say are also insensitive.

But that doesn't make it racist.

Archived