Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We won yesterday because of practice

Burgold

I remember hearing some criticize Coach Gibbs for his practices, saying that we needed a practice dome and that players didn't need to always practice in the stultifying heat of DC Summer. Gibbs argued it was important to practice outdoors and in all conditions.

Well yesterday, when it counted the team from Florida couldn't stand up to the heat. Miami's team faded in the humidity and heat while we stood strong and wore them down.

Was practicing outside the deciding element? Probably not... but I bet it played its part. Our guys were weather tested and ready. Unlike the Norv years, we didn't see half the team suffering cramps or pooping out. This year, we were the stronger, more ready team down the stretch, and that's pretty cool... especially when it's hot.

Damn. That's a simple, but great post, Burgold. You're right in that it probably wasn't the deciding factor, but it surely helped level the playing field in some way Sunday, I'm sure.

Every NFL team has talent. Every NFL team is well-conditioned. The great ones are stronger than their opponent in the fourth (and fifth, as the case may be) quarter.

Well said.

Chief get your facts straight. I'll guarentee we had one of the 10 weakest camps out of any NFL team. I will bet that you can count the number of 2 a days we had on one hand. The pro indoor argument is that it provides the team a place to get reps in during thunderstorms, or code red days (situations where we dont practice outside). This would also provide us a way to simulate environment for indoor games.

A dome would provide a competitive advantage something that you cant always get outside.

We won the game because we were a better team, not because we were better conditioned.

Chief get your facts straight. I'll guarentee we had one of the 10 weakest camps out of any NFL team. I will bet that you can count the number of 2 a days we had on one hand. The pro indoor argument is that it provides the team a place to get reps in during thunderstorms, or code red days (situations where we dont practice outside). This would also provide us a way to simulate environment for indoor games.

A dome would provide a competitive advantage something that you cant always get outside.

We won the game because we were a better team, not because we were better conditioned.

Miami melted. They were worn down and huffing for breath and kneeling between plays. That's conditioning not better athletes. :twocents:

I don't disagree with your statement that we had one of the 10 weakest camps, though I have no idea what the other camps were like. What Burgold is correctly referring to is the fact that many on this site thought our practices were too tough! They wanted us to practice in a dome out of the elements because it was too hot. I remember arguing the same point Burgold is making - that those practices in the heat help provide the necessary conditioning, which in my opinion paid off yesterday.

The game should be easy compared to the practices. I don't think that's the case yet, but there is no question we were the better conditioned team yesterday, which might not have been the reason we won, but it sure didn't hurt us either.

Hail,

H

I remember hearing some criticize Coach Gibbs for his practices, saying that we needed a practice dome and that players didn't need to always practice in the stultifying heat of DC Summer. Gibbs argued it was important to practice outdoors and in all conditions.

Well yesterday, when it counted the team from Florida couldn't stand up to the heat. Miami's team faded in the humidity and heat while we stood strong and wore them down.

Was practicing outside the deciding element? Probably not... but I bet it played its part. Our guys were weather tested and ready. Unlike the Norv years, we didn't see half the team suffering cramps or pooping out. This year, we were the stronger, more ready team down the stretch, and that's pretty cool... especially when it's hot.

You argument against MOST of the people who wanted the bubble makes little to no sense at all.

People who were asking for the bubble were asking for it to be used ONLY IN TIMES when practice was CANCELLED because of weather conditions.

Example – what would get you more prepared for the Miami game in this scenario:

It is a late summer Monday during training camp and a huge thunder storm rolls in with lots of lighting. Safety is a concern because of the weather.

So what would be better for the team:

1) Everyone goes in the offices and practice is dismissed for the day since we can only practice how we play.

Or

2) The team moves into a bubble, and the team works extremely hard for a few hours.

Practice in a bubble > no practice at all.

And yes, I don’t care if we only use it 3 times a year. Charge me $9 for a beer, in return and I want a bubble that I can use for an extreme weather day.

Yeah they were huffing for breath thats what happens when you run the ball 41 times, the defensive line gets worn down.

Unfortunatley you didnt address how an indoor facility corelates into poor conditioning.

Did you not see the Colts on Thursday – they looked awful. That prissy dome REALLY took the grit out of that team……….. :laugh:

I know at these indoor practice facilities they try to simulate winds and crowd noise.

Archived