Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heads up. Redskins meet and greet 9/10

CliffBattles

Monday, September 10th at Reston Town Center- Morton's Steakhouse.

Redskins hanging around the bar, signing autographs, taking pics...pretty cool.

They have been doing it every year...usually, the big stars like Portis and Campbell are not there, but last year I think Chris Samuels, Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, Rocky McIntosh, Derick Frost, and others were there.

Pretty cool....usually around happy hour, I think. Which they also offer $4 filet mignon sandwiches and $4 mini burgers....good stuff....really good stuff.

Anyway, I'll post more, if I find out more.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Mortons is the most overrated resteraunt I have ever been to and will never go back to :puke: I would rather go to the Mcdonalds in Ashburn and take my chances on seeing a Redskins in there.

Wow...sorry to hear that....the Morton's in Baltimore was excellent, the couple of times that we ate there......

yeah, Morton's quality of food is excellent. You can't buy a steak like that at a grocery store. All those high end steak houses have amazing food. Morton's service really can't be matched (outside of The Inn at Little Washington). It is top notch.

I go to all these places frequently, and Morton's is the best.

The $4 filet sandwiches and $4 burgers is a bar happy hour thing. I think some other things are on their $4 bar happy hour menu, as well. But, I've stuck with those two things.

I found out yesterday it starts at 6pm.

Capital Grille is 10 times better than Mortons, food wise and service wise.

It also doesn't cost $42 for a steak. You can get one $10 cheaper and it tastes much better.

Morton's sucks for food. I do love going there for HH as I live right across the street. But I will say there are much better steaks in the area than Mortons.

Capital Grille is 10 times better than Mortons, food wise and service wise.

It also doesn't cost $42 for a steak. You can get one $10 cheaper and it tastes much better.

Morton's sucks for food. I do love going there for HH as I live right across the street. But I will say there are much better steaks in the area than Mortons.

I agree about the superior service, and drinks, at Capital Grille, but the quality of steaks at Morton's is vastly superior. The Cajun Ribeye at Mortons is about $35.00 and is much better than a more expensive steak that I tried at the Capital Grille, (Filet or Sirloin), I forget which, but it was one of the specials.

I was very disappointed in the "quality" of the steak at the Capital Grille, especially after the server waxed philosophic about how they hand-select, dry age and butcher their own meats. I've had better steaks at the Outback. The spinach salad that my wife had was just blah.....

It wasn't all bad, however, as I had a kick-ass fried soft-crab that was the best I've ever eaten. The Bourbon Smash, (with Makers, vanilla liqueur, and tuaca(maybe?), along with a dried fig side-car), was an excellent drink. The wifes Mojitos were good too.

To be fair, I've only eaten at the Morton's in Baltimore a few times, and the Capital Grille, (again, in Baltimore), only once. It may depend on the individual restaurant....

How did this turn into a "best steakhouse" thread.

But, I swear the way some of you talk, I think you must have stock in some of these companies.

First of all, every one of these top notch steak houses will give you great steaks and great service.

Okay, now my sister and brother-in-law are big investors in the Bobby Vans on Capital Hill, I have a really good friend that bartends at Capital Grille in Tysons, and a good friend who managed the Ruth's Chris in Fairfax. This doesn't make me an expert, but it shows that I am not favoring Mortons.

I don't see how anyone could think the service is superior to Mortons at any of these places....maybe, it is just the one in Reston (the Tysons one, does feel like a basement), but the service is perfect. I have always had a manager visit the table, everything is timely, and giving the verbal menu, like they do, with the cart reflects that these servers are trained and professional, and at least reasonably intelligent. My Ruth's Chris friend also told me that Mortons has the lowest turnover in all of the restaurant industry....that has got to help. It gives a veteran staff. I'll add that the average age of a Morton's server does seem to be about 30 years old....a good thing. I had a server at Capital Grille try to sell me a bottle of wine that he knew nothing about....I had just read about the bottle in Wine Spectator and told him all about it...he then tells me back everything I just told him, as if he was an expert. So, I get a $150 bottle of wine and he doesn't even give me the proper wine glasswear....whatever...but, damn.

The steaks are probably more personal preference than anything. I could almost guarantee that these places are getting their steaks from the same place, or something virtually the same. But, my bartending friend at Capital Grille thinks the meat is better at Mortons....I don't know for sure....I love that Kona crusted steak at the Grille....although Mortons blackened Ribeye, their Strip, and the Prime Rib they serve on Fridays and Saturday are all beyond amazing.

I think it comes down to preference, the steaks are pretty similar...it would be the aging process and the actual cooking that make the difference....I know Morton's broils their steaks at like 2500 degrees or something insane....I love the way they cook them. But, I don't know if they have a steak, that has the flavor of that Kona crusted sirloin....then again a sirloin isn't always the cut I want.

I will say that Morton's side dishes are better....especially the caesar salad, which is something I order almost every restaurant I go to....Mortons has the best.

Deserts.....I have no clue....I don't eat desert.

How the drinks are different, I have no clue what you are talking about. I pretty much drink beer, wine, martinis, or simple drinks like Makers and ginger or something....I don't know how there could be a huge difference here....they all have excellent wine selections, fine beer selections, and pretty much any liquor you can think of. Those pineapple vodka things at The Grille are great, as are the hand stuffed blue cheese olives at Mortons.

I don't know who mentioned the prices...but, I didn't really think their was much of a difference between any of these places.

Anyway....that is my opinion. Besides, Mortons is the "Official Restaurant of The Washington Redskins." I like seeing the Redskin logo on the bottom of the menu.

FWIW, Zagats guide will tell you Prime Rib in DC is better than any of them.

IMO, a really great steak from a chain, that isn't quite as fancy or expensive as these places, is Swee****er's Drunken Ribeye....that is money.

***But....none of this is important....damn, I got sidetracked talking about steak.***

The important part is a bunch of Redskins will be at Morton's in Reston. Which regardless, of what is said, is a very nice place, fairly new, with a patio, and a great staff....and these Redskins will be there to shake your hand.

I am bumping this, as the time is approaching. It is this monday.

Take off your pompous steak critiquing glasses, and enjoy meeting some Redskins.

Just hang at the bar and get a beer or two....don't need to spend $200 on dinner....or if you want to make an occasion of it with the wife, treat yourself to a good dinner.

I'm sure gonna be there....and I'm not even the autograph collecting type.

I have been to Mortons, Ruth's Chris, Sam & Harry's, Capital Grille and many other steakhouses around the area and yes it does matter on the individual restaurant but mostly all of the steaks you can order in these restaurants are superior to the Outback Steakhouse.

The steak's although expensive comparatively to the Outback Steakhouse are definitley worth it as they cut like butter. Of course they are grilled in butter as well.

These restaurants are very good, but don't compare to the Palm III in Kansas City, MO.

$4 for a Filet sandwich is almost enough reason for me to go. They had a Morton's tent at the AT&T National and I got a sandwich there for $15 and it was AMAZING. Also there's a Shula's here in DC, I went a few years ago and ate a 48 oz. steak to get my name on the wall.

steak is good.....at any of those high end places. Personal preference plays a role, along with a little luck on what night you go in, what server you get, etc.

But, yes they destroy the Outbacks and those level places.

Anyway, this isn't a steak thread....this is a bunch of Skins fans getting together and showing support thread.

Archived