Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training/Practice Questions

Tomel

Here's a couple of questions for those of you who have expertise in training and practice techniques.

Do the Skins ever have some of the defense gurus (e.g., Williams) analyze the offensive game film and identify weaknesses and how they would attack our own offense in a real game situation?

Do the Skins conduct any special drills for the quarterback designed specifically to speed up his reaction time? Using a different sport as an example, I remember that the women's olympic softball team used a tennis ball in batting practice instead of a regulation softball.

Just curious.

Here's a couple of questions for those of you who have expertise in training and practice techniques.

Do the Skins ever have some of the defense gurus (e.g., Williams) analyze the offensive game film and identify weaknesses and how they would attack our own offense in a real game situation?

Do the Skins conduct any special drills for the quarterback designed specifically to speed up his reaction time? Using a different sport as an example, I remember that the women's olympic softball team used a tennis ball in batting practice instead of a regulation softball.

Just curious.

Ok......not sure how much about football you know........so I will answer as thoroughly as I can.

Yes.....film is broken down. Each game....each team...is broken down by several members of the coaching staff. Our play is broken down....analyzed ......and then compared to how each defense reacted to a similar package. There are coaches etc that do this.

Players also take this film and study over and over.

Practice is not just out on the field. Many hours are spent watching film, going over plays....testing over plays etc.

There are also different strategies that many of the players use to increase speed and agility.

I hope this helps.

Not sure about the Skins, but I hear Tony Romo sits to pee clenches a track baton with his rectum while holding for kicks.

Just curious.

Be careful, that's how Romo sits to pee got started.

Not sure about the Skins, but I hear Tony Romo sits to pee clenches a track baton with his rectum while holding for kicks.

Be careful, that's how Romo sits to pee got started.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Is this BROKEBACK 2?

:laugh: :laugh:

I have laughed so much today.

Really.

Now this.

This one IS funny.

*weaksauce*

Not sure, but I would imagine that does occur at least on occasion...

Just curious.

I remember a story about McNabb wearing these special strobe-effect glasses during the offseason and practices, because it made everything seem like it was moving at a faster pace. When he played in real games without the glasses on, everything seemed to move slower to him by comparison. Maybe we can buy Campbell a few pairs lol :laugh:...

Blondie gave a great response, all I can do is expand it.

Tendencies are charted by all teams - what do you do with this down and distance (3rd and 3) with the personel you have on the field (2 tight ends, 4 WR's, Betts instead of Portis, etc)

Greg Williams would be too busy game-planning for the opponent to point this out, but another "guru" should be looking for the individual "tells" - does the LT lean forward on a run, does the HB lift his right shoulder when he is running left, etc). Hence the value of coaches and film work.

As for your second question about speeding up the reaction time. I don't know. But I do know they try to "slow-down" the game for the QB. Blondie's statement about reviewing the tapes is one of the major ways. They some him the "tells" of the defense. They will also simplify the playbook so that he doesn't have to read too many "tells" - if a CB is playing 10 yards off a WR, throw the 3 yard stop route.

Hope this helps.

:helmet: The Rook

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was just curious whether we were using Gregg Williams defensive expertise on both sides of the ball. Also, was wondering about techniques used for speeding up the QB's reaction time.

Blondie - yeah, I know a little about the game. Been a Skins fan since late 50's and probably one of few on this forum who has attended BOTH a Gibbs training camp AND a Lombardi camp.

Just to add a little as an ex QB on how coached work on that position to help slow the game up a little. They talk about working from the shoulders up and the waist down.

Waist down is about footwork - getting your drop quicker so you get set up half a second earlier. Drills we used to use for that were back peddle races, high steps backwards through ropes and timed drops on 3, 5 and 7 step drops. Just a matter of practice and staying mentally sharp.

I'm sure they are more sophisticated in the pro's.

Shoulder up is mainly mental. Hitting the play book and film and understanding the concept of any given play and what keys to look for. Once you are comfortable were YOUR guys are going to be its amazing how you start to see where the D'backs are, read the coverage early and as soon as your back foot hits that 3rd pr 5th step - boom (as John Madden would say) the ball comes out of your hand. I also used a mental time clock - say on a 5 step drop it would be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 set throw. The receivers had the same count and they knew on set the ball was being released.

Its really a matter of mental and physical reps so that things become second nature on you stop thinking and start reacting.

Some coaches will work on release time as well - thats about throwing mechanics. I think they have been doing some work to get Jason to shorten his wind up. With me I held the ball too low and coaches used to get on my back about setting up with the ball around my shoulder not my chest. Little things.

once in a while, probably during the offseason. i remember in 2004 gibbs had williams gameplan and attack the offense during the bye weak.

Do the Skins conduct any special drills for the quarterback designed specifically to speed up his reaction time?

they do tons of drills but the coolest one i've seen involved mcnabb. he would wear glasses that would allow him to see clearly and then go dark/altered, meanwhile he has to read the defense and find the open guy. he said it really slowed things down for him. i think that was in 2004 or 2005.

Archived