Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McGahee update (Linda Cohn on SportsCenter)

CBMGreatOne

Willis can kiss his career goodbye.

I feel sorry for him, he's a good kid.

ACL, MCL, and, the PCL? I don't even know what the last one is.

NCAA | McGahee Back To Miami - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

20:45 PT: Updating previous reports, the Associated Press reports University of Miami RB Willis McGahee (knee) tore the ACL, MCL and PCL in his knee during Friday night's NCAA Championship game. The injury will require reconstructive surgery. McGahee will return to Miami instead of declaring for the NFL Draft, and rehabiliation might cause him to miss part, or even all of next season.

wow that injury looked bad when i saw it live. it made me think of that hit in the movie "The Program" where the star lb is getting ready to cash in and buy his mom a new house when he gets drafted and has his knee taken out. At least McGahee has 2 years (possibly 3 if he gets a medical redshirt for next year) left of college eligibility.

He looked like a star in the making now he will be lucky to play again. I hope he had some backup plans for his life.

PCL = Posterior Cruciate Ligament. The tearing of all three will almost end his football career unless he has a miracle saved up. To bad, the kid was playing like a possessed beast this year.

I suppose Larry Johnson becomes the best RB in the draft this year, eventhough I think he is a mid to late round draft pick in terms of value. The Penn St. curse itself will scare off a number of potential suitors. And.... should things fall right... he may find himself out of the first round all together.

Suggs in the second would be a steal for someone. And.. I watched the Kentucky/LSU game again yesterday and Pinner of Kentucky is a real steal this year.

Originally posted by Cskin

I suppose Larry Johnson becomes the best RB in the draft this year, eventhough I think he is a mid to late round draft pick in terms of value. The Penn St. curse itself will scare off a number of potential suitors. And.... should things fall right... he may find himself out of the first round all together.

As an aside, how smart does the Betts pick look now? Draft reports indicate the Skins were hoping to get Portis -- which would have been a fantastic choice. Instead, Portis went at #51, and the Skins got Betts at #56. Thankfully the Skins don't have to try to compete with other teams for a RB in this year's draft.

On a related note, the lack of talent at RB in the draft should drive up Davis's value in free agency.

Blade can correct this if necessary, but from what I remember of my biomechanics of musculoskeletal systems course in undergrad, the knee has 4 major ligaments:

Anterior Collateral Ligament (ACL)

Posterior Collateral Ligament (PCL)

Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL)

Lateral Collateral Ligamnet (LCL)

All of them serve to attach the tibia to the femur (lower to upper leg), and are located in different spots.

The LCL and MCL go along the sides, the LCL on the outer side of your leg, and the MCL on the inner side. (for an idea of lateral and medial, think hip [lateral] and groin [medial]). The two of these are just straight connections from the upper bone to the lower bone.

The ACL and the PCL basically form a cross behind your kneecap, one going front to back, the other going back to front.

The reason that knee injuries happen so easily, and that they are so hard to heal is that the knee is a floating joint, in that there really isn't any point where bone connects securely to bone (like, say happens in your hip, or in your elbow, where there's an extra process on the ulna that keeps the upper and lower together). There's just the ligaments, with a little extra support given by the patellar tendon (kneecap). So, you can't "set" the injury in the same way that you can set other joints. Also, ligaments tend to be long and slow to heal.

The way that they attach into bones is actually fairly similar to teh way that velcro works. One they are broken apart, it takes them a really long time to "knit" their way back into the bones that they're supposed to connect. The knee is worse because it relies on the 4 of them being in balance.

I would still enter the draft if i was him...

its a chance, but denver would take him and he'd be a star again

But for real some team would take a chance on him probably 4 or 5 th rd...

there is no guarantee he will even start at miami once he comes back

may as well try

He's done like dinner.

If you want to see what happens to players with that kind of injury, take a look at Anthony Poindexter. went from being a consensus top 5 pick to being taken on a flyer in the 7th round. Played sparingly for a year or two, now out.

I wish him the best of luck, but those injuries are so hard to heal it's not funny. Look at it this way: he's not walking without a cane for the next 9 months or so....

I don't think I've ever felt as bad for an athlete as I feel for Willis right now.

I watched a lot of the shows about the Heisman candidates and I really liked what I saw and heard from him. It's such a shame.

I hope he can rehab and play at least half the season next year so that he can at least give himself at shot at pro career. It seems like a longshot though.

Miami was driving when the injury occured, led by McGahee, and I had JUST said, "man, this guy is going to be the real deal." One play later-- it's possibly all over. Just terrible. I try tp put myself in his position and I think someone would have to talk me down from the ledge.

I'm rooting for him though.

Archived