Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From the grasping at straws department - Bucs not owed compensation for Parcells

The Evil Genius

Think they were just trying to save face from Parcells screwing them last year???

:laugh:

Bucs Not Owed Compensation for Parcells

TAMPA, Fla. - The Dallas Cowboys (news) won't owe the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (news) any compensation for hiring Bill Parcells.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue ruled Thursday, however, that the Bucs could seek compensation from Parcells himself. The team said it wasn't interested in that option.

Tagliabue's ruling came on a claim by the Bucs that they should receive draft picks from the Cowboys for losing Parcells, who signed a contract to become Tampa Bay's coach and then changed his mind last winter.

This was the first time either the Bucs or Parcells acknowledged that an agreement had been reached last year. It was never filed with the league office because Parcells asked that it not be.

Although Tagliabue determined the Bucs stated a "substantial claim," the commissioner said the league could not stop the Cowboys from hiring Parcells and that there was no basis for ordering Dallas to send draft picks or cash to Tampa Bay.

However, the commissioner did say he would examine whether Parcells himself was financially liable for jilting the Bucs. They ended a month-long coaching search last February by acquiring Jon Gruden from the Oakland Raiders (news) for four high draft picks and $8 million.

"The issue to be considered at the hearing will be limited to whether Coach Parcells as an individual owes money damages to the Buccaneers based on losses suffered as a result of his signing a contract last year and subsequently deciding not to perform under that contract," the letter said.

But the Bucs said they aren't interested in receiving anything from Parcells.

"While we are pleased that the Commissioner saw the validity of our claim, we did not file this claim to seek monetary damages," Bucs general manager Rich McKay said. "The sole focus of this organization should be the playoffs and accordingly, we do not intend to pursue this claim any further."

McKay attended Thursday's hearing in New York, along with Bryan and Joel Glazer, sons of Bucs owner Malcolm Glazer.

I love it -- the Bucs didn't do it with the realistic expectation that they'd win, they did it because they enjoy kicking a man (Jones) when he's down. That's the spirit!

The Bucs are in the playoffs and the Cowboys are coach shopping. That would be enough for most teams, but the Bucs got in one last "Screw you!" to Parcells and Jones.

I wish we'd done something like that with Deion.

Originally posted by ummagumma

That's funny...I see it the other way. I think the Bucs embarrassed themselves again over their goofyness from last time this year. The Bucs claimed all along that they didn't have Parcells signed. The Glazers are inveterate liars.

Exactamundo - this was an overt attempt to regain some picks that they threw away for Chuckie...

I guess I'm just being picky.

To me, if Parcells (and the Bucs) signed a contract (and didn't reach a quiet agreement to end it), then he's under contract. That contract may allow him to not show up (and not get paid), but I bet it doesn't allow him to become a rival's coach.

And (if there wasn't an agreement to end it) that contract's still valid.

Now, maybe the NFL doesn't have to act as an enforcement agent, to punish Dallas (or Parcells) for breaking that contract. (You can hardly hold Jerrah liable for tampering with a contract that he wasn't informed of).

(The fact that the Bucs aren't screaming louder about this makes me think there's more going on: Maybe there was a quiet agreement to let Parcells out of his contract, in exchange for Parcells leaving quitely, which the Glasers sort-of forgot about when it looked like they might get some picks for it).

Agreed. The league had said late last week that the Bucs request for compensation and the ensuing hearing would not be a "stumbling block" for any deal between the Cowboys and Parcells. Glazers definately hoping for somerthing here and got rejected. Now, the fact that Parcells asked the Bucs not to file the contract with the league and the Bucs said yes says yea... a possibility there was more to their quiet agreement. Legally speaking hard to say. Who knows? Maybe the language of the contract may have stated that the contract would not be valid or whatever pending approval of the NFL.

:cheers:

That just proves you can't be a "buddy" to anyone where business is concerned. The Bucs should have submitted the contract if Parcells signed it. Whether or not it was submitted to the league, if the Tuna signed it, I think Tampa should push the envelope a little and force Parcells to do something in return. JMO.;)

Originally posted by MRMADD

I love it -- the Bucs didn't do it with the realistic expectation that they'd win, they did it because they enjoy kicking a man (Jones) when he's down. That's the spirit!

The Bucs are in the playoffs and the Cowboys are coach shopping. That would be enough for most teams, but the Bucs got in one last "Screw you!" to Parcells and Jones.

I wish we'd done something like that with Deion.

Yea, that pretty much sums it up. :D

Parcells didn't take the Job last year for two reasons. One big one was the divorce was not final and you know his ex wifes lawyer would have wanted a big chunk of any contract Bill got.

Secondly Tampa was not a good 'ego' team for Parcells. If he fails in Dallas he can just say he was not into it fully. In Tampa he already had a good team and if he failed it would be on him.

Us Buc fans owe a small bit of indirect gratitude to the Tuna also.

If not for his indicision and divorce he might have taken the job last year and we would have never got Gruden.

Parcells may have superbowls wins but he is no where near the type of coach you want for long term stability. Plus his health and age is an issue also.

Can't blame McKay for trying to get something. Kudos for the them to drop it now too and not go after Parcells in court which they could have.

Cowboys have the Bucs, Jets, Pats & Giants on the road next year, Looks like the media will have something to write about for them. :D

That's okay dollar. So the Bucs did have that signed contact and all, but still didn't receive some compensation. They still have a trade with the Cowboys for Keyshawn to hope for. (Not entirely out of the question). :cheers:

Archived