Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Draft Countdown Mock Draft - yes another ****ing early mock!

The Evil Genius

Like this draft - except Kelly Washington won't go 1st round porbably due to injury...

Like the Skins pick - but would rather trade down and pick up picks....but I wouldnt be upset with Mr. Miami :)

NFL Draft Countdown Mock Draft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a new mock draft for 2003. Picks 1-20 are set, except for #5 and #6 which will be determined by a coin flip. The remainder of round one, 21-32, will be determined by the results of the playoffs. As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have at scott@nfldraftcountdown.com

1. Cincinnati Bengals:

Carson Palmer, QB, U.S.C.

This pick will likely be either the Heisman Trophy winner Palmer or Marshall's Byron Leftwich. I think Palmer has the lead right now but Leftwich will have a chance to overtake him in the months leading up to the draft. There is always a chance the Bengals could trade down but they wouldn't want to move too far and miss out on a franchise signal caller.

2. Detroit Lions:

Charles Rogers, WR, Michigan St. (JR)

The Lions need to add some playmakers on offense since their free agent acquisitions of Az Hakim and Bill Schroeder didn't pan out. Rogers is a rare talent who has Randy Moss-like athletic ability and star potential, but Roy Williams of Texas and Andre Johnson of Miami will challenge him for the #1 wideout spot.

3. Houston Texans:

Willis McGahee, RB, Miami, FL (SO-3)

The Texans have some key building blocks on offense but they need to add a top runner as the combination of James Allen and Jonathan Wells did not get it done this past season. McGahee has a unique combination of size, power and speed that should translate well into the pro ranks. There is talk that he may return to the Hurricanes next season but his draft stock will never be any higher than it is now.

4. Chicago Bears:

Byron Leftwich, QB, Marshall

Chicago is sitting in a good position as they should have a shot at either Carson Palmer or Byron Leftwich, barring a team such as Carolina trading ahead of them. The Bears have said publicly that they are targeting a signal caller this off-season and Leftwich could be a franchise player so this pick is a no-brainer.

5. Dallas Cowboys:

Terrell Suggs, DE, Arizona St. (JR)

If this isn't a Bill Parcells pick I have never seen one. Suggs was a sack machine for the Sun Devils this year and pure pass rushers are always coveted on Draft Day. The Tuna has always been enamored with DE-OLB tweeners and Suggs will be his Dallas version of Willie McGinist.

6. Arizona Cardinals:

Jimmy Kennedy, DT, Penn St.

The Cardinals still need a lot of help on defense and will likely choose the best player available on that side of the ball. Kennedy had a great senior year and has seen his stock rise to the point where he would be a bargain at this point in round one. A tandem of Kennedy and last years first rounder Wendell Bryant up the middle would be formidable.

7. Minnesota Vikings:

Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami, FL (SO-3)

Mike Tice has gone on record as saying that he would like to get a big, fast, nasty player on either the offensive or defensive line with this pick. Wilfork is just that and, while still raw, has all the potential in the world. A corner such as Terence Newman of Kansas St. could also be a possibility here.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars:

Roy Williams, WR, Texas (JR)

I know that Williams has said he is returning to Austin for his senior year, but I will believe that when I don't see his name on the underclassmen list on January 9th. The Jaguars still need a replacement for Keenan McCardell and Williams has a rare blend of size, speed and athletic ability. Williams has a shot to be truly special.

9. Carolina Panthers:

Eli Manning, QB, Ole' Miss (JR)

The Panthers had better have their fingers crossed that Manning decides to leave Ole' Miss early because if he doesn't they likely won't have a shot at a franchise signal caller in round one. While not the student of the game his brother Peyton is, Eli actually has better physical tools and is still improving.

10. Seattle Seahawks:

Will Smith, DE, Ohio St. (JR)

The Seahawks need to get more production out of their defensive ends. While Will Smith hasn't put up huge numbers with the Buckeyes this year there is little doubt in the scouting community that he is a premier pro prospect. Mike Holmgren has given up his general manager responsibilities and the team will try and improve on its sketchy recent draft record.

11. Baltimore Ravens:

Terence Newman, CB, Kansas St.

With Chris McAlister on his way to free agency and Gary Baxter experiencing an up and down year this pick makes a lot of sense. And that is not to mention that Newman would be an absolute steal at this point in round one. A potential shutdown corner, Newman is also a threat as a return man on special teams.

12. St. Louis Rams:

Jordan Gross, OT, Utah

The Rams must upgrade the right tackle position this off-season and would be extremely lucky to land the top player at the position in the draft in Gross. The John St. Clair experiment was a supreme failure and Gross would be able to step right in and start very early on as a rookie.

13. Washington Redskins:

Andre Johnson, WR, Miami, FL (JR)

This would be, without a doubt, the steal of the draft. Johnson is a physical freak in the Terrell Owens mold and has a legitimate shot to go as high as #2 overall. At 6-3, 230 pounds with 4.4 speed Johnson has everything needed to be a superstar in the NFL.

14. New England Patriots (f/BUF):

Jonathan Sullivan, DE, Georgia (JR)

The Patriots want to get younger on the defensive side of the ball and they start that process by adding Sullivan, a player who has had a breakout year and would be a perfect fit for their scheme. Other options for this pick as well as their next will be a cornerback or maybe even a running back.

15. San Diego Chargers:

Kwame Harris, OT, Stanford

The Chargers just missed the playoffs and if they want to take the next step in 2003 they have to keep Drew Brees upright and healthy and keep paving the way for LaDainian Tomlinson. To that end this is a solid pick for the Chargers as Harris is versatile enough to play on either side. A guard like Vince Manuwai of Hawaii would also be a possibility.

16. Kansas City Chiefs:

Andre Woolfolk, CB, Oklahoma

I think landing Woolfolk here would be a steal for Kansas City. At over 5-11 with a 40-inch vertical leap, Woolfolk is already a tremendous coverman even though he is still learning the position. Needless to say Woolfolk has the potential to be a shutdown coverman in the NFL, which is always a valuable commodity.

17. New Orleans Saints:

D.J. Williams, OLB, Miami, FL (JR)

Darrin Smith is getting up there in age and while the Saints have a couple of young outside linebackers they don't have anyone with the talent and potential of Williams. While still adjusting to the position, there is little doubt Williams will be a very high pick should he choose to enter the draft.

18. New Orleans Saints (f/MIA):

Vince Manuwai, OG, Hawaii

The Saints landed a great guard a year ago in round two with LeCharles Bentley and look to land another keeper with Manuwai. A dominant player, Manuwai is one of the best guard prospects to come down the pipe in years, which is evidenced by him being projected as a first round pick.

19. New England Patriots:

William Joseph, DT, Miami, FL

Once projected as a top five overall pick, a sub par senior season has pushed Joseph into the middle of round one. Still, his potential can't be ignored and if Bill Belichik can get him to perform like he did as a junior the Pats will have a big time steal.

20. Denver Broncos:

Jerome McDougle, DE, Miami, FL

McDougle built on a great junior season and came through with a top notch senior campaign. A sack artist who shows excellent technique, this is a perfect fit for the Broncos. Free agent acquisition Kavika Pittman never really panned out and McDougle would give Denver a threat opposite Trevor Pryce.

21. Cleveland Browns:

George Foster, OT, Georgia

Despite missing the first half of the year with injuries suffered in a car accident Foster came on strong down the stretch and is now a legitimate candidate for round one. The Browns have been wanting to upgrade their offensive line and coveted Bryant McKinnie a year ago, so a tackle here would be a good fit.

22. New York Jets:

DeWayne Robertson, DT, Kentucky (JR)

The Jets have a good young defensive line with Shaun Ellis and John Abraham, but they still have a need at tackle. While not a major pass rusher, Robertson can fill the hole as well as any defensive tackle in this draft. This massive 300+ pounder would look real good in the middle for New York.

23. Atlanta Falcons:

Rashaun Woods, WR, Oklahoma St. (JR)

After an amazing junior season Woods would likely be a lock for round one should he decide to leave school early and enter the draft. Blessed with great size and speed, Woods is a playmaker in every sense of the word. It will be scary to see how good Mike Vick will be once he has some weapons to throw to.

24. Indianapolis Colts:

Nathan Vasher, CB, Texas (JR)

The Colts defense took some major steps forward in its first season under Tony Dungy, but there is still work to be done. An upgrade at cornerback has to be at or near the top of the list and Vasher would be a good fit for Indy's secondary. Vasher had a nice junior year after moving over to corner from safety and is still improving, which means he still has a lot of upside potential.

25. New York Giants:

Karlos Dansby, OLB, Auburn (JR)

The Giants could use an upgrade at outside linebacker because, while decent, Dhani Jones and Brandon Short are nothing to write home about. Other possibilities here could include an offensive lineman or even a defensive end to take over for the disapointing Kenny Holmes.

26. San Francisco 49'ers:

Kelley Washington, WR, Tennessee (SO-2)

There is word that Washington may even drop out of round one if he decides to come out early, but I think he has too much talent to drop that far. Skill-wise Washington is a top ten overall pick but an injury plagued sophomore season has led to his stock dropping. The Niners have had luck with big wideouts falling down the draft boards before (Ever heard of Rice or Owens) so they take another shot.

27. Pittsburgh Steelers:

Chris Simms, QB, Texas

Tommy Maddox has had a good season, but I don't think anyone is under the illusion that he is the long term solution. Simms may be best known for his failures against Oklahoma, but overall he had a nice college career and has the physical tools to be a top notch NFL signal caller. If he can learn to see the field and make better decisions the Steelers could have a steal.

28. Tennessee Titans:

Lee Suggs, RB, Virginia Tech

To say Eddie George's skills and production have dropped off dramatically would be an understatement. Suggs was extremely productive throughout his career with the Hokies and would be a great insurance policy in case George never regains his Pro Bowl form.

29. Green Bay Packers:

Gerald Hayes, ILB, Pittsburgh

Hardy Nickerson has been a nice short term solution for Green Bay but they need to begin grooming a replacement immediately, if not sooner. Hayes has had a tremendous senior season for Pitt and this is right around where he is projected to go. A perfect fit for both team and player.

30. Oakland Raiders (f/TB):

Dewayne White, DE, Louisville (JR)

The Raiders need to groom a young defensive end with Trace Armstrong getting up there in age and Regan Upshaw being as injury-prone as he is. White did not have as good of a season as a junior as he did a sophomore but there is no denying his natural pass rush skills, which may land him in round one.

31. Oakland Raiders:

Rex Grossman, QB, Florida (JR)

Rich Gannon was very deserving of the NFL MVP award, but that doesn't negate the fact that he is 37 years old. With two first round picks and an already solid team the Raiders can afford to take advantage of a great quarterback crop and nab an eventual successor.

32. Philadelphia Eagles:

Jason Witten, TE, Tennessee (JR)

Chad Lewis is solid, but there is definitely room for an upgrade here. As we all know the tight end position is very important in the West Coast Offense so a pass catching threat like Witten would be a perfect addition for Philly.

I wouldn't be disappointed with the Andre Johnson pick at all, but I feel other needs being fulfilled would be better for us.

I doubt this would happen because Roy Williams isn't declaring this year, and he won't before Jan. 9th. So Jacksonville will draft Andre Johnson instead, and I can't see Minnesota finally drafting defense after ignoring it for so long. They'll follow recent history and draft offense...again.

AOK's Mock Draft Latest Update: January 1st.

http://www.aokdraft.com/mock2003.html

I am loving Washingtons picks in this two round mock.

Round One:

1. Cincinnati Bengals: Carson Palmer, QB, Southern Cal

2. Detroit Lions: Charles Rogers, WR, Michigan State (Junior)

3. Houston Texans: Willis McGahee, RB, Miami (Eligible Sophomore)

4. Chicago Bears: Byron Leftwich, QB, Marshall

5. Dallas Cowboys: Terence Newman, CB, Kansas State

6. Arizona Cardinals: Terrell Suggs, DE, Arizona State (Junior)

7. Minnesota Vikings: Jimmy Kennedy, DT, Penn State

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Andre Johnson, WR, Miami (Junior)

9. Carolina Panthers: Eli Manning, QB, Mississippi (Junior)

10. Seattle Seahawks: Jerome McDougle, DE, Miami

11. Baltimore Ravens: William Joseph, DT, Miami

12. St. Louis Rams: Kwame Harris, OT, Stanford (Junior)

13. Washington Redskins: Dewayne Robertson, DT, Kentucky (Junior)

14. New England Patriots (from Buffalo): Andre Woolfolk, CB, Oklahoma

15. San Diego Chargers: Jordan Gross, OT, Utah

16. Kansas City Chiefs: Derrick Strait, CB, Oklahoma (Junior)

17. New Orleans Saints: E.J. Henderson, ILB, Maryland

18. New Orleans Saints (from Miami): Marcus Trufant, CB, Washington State

19. New England Patriots: Larry Johnson, RB, Penn State

20. Denver Broncos: Cory Redding, DE, Texas

21. Cleveland Browns: Brett Williams, OT, Florida State

22. New York Jets: Boss Bailey, OLB, Georgia

23. Atlanta Falcons: Rashaun Woods, WR, Oklahoma State (Junior)

24. Indianapolis Colts: Dennis Weathersby, CB, Oregon State

25. New York Giants: Michael Haynes, DE, Penn State

26. San Francisco 49ers: Marcus Tubbs, DT, Texas (Junior)

27. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Doss, S, Ohio State

28. Tennessee Titans: Sammy Davis, CB, Texas A&M

29. Green Bay Packers: Terry Pierce, ILB, Kansas State (Junior)

30. Oakland Raiders (from Tampa Bay): Brandon Lloyd, WR, Illinois (Junior)

31. Oakland Raiders: Onterrio Smith, RB, Oregon (Junior)

32. Philadelphia Eagles: Gerald Hayes, ILB, Pittsburgh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round Two:

33. Cincinnati Bengals: Ty Warren, DT, Texas A&M

34. Detroit Lions: LaMarcus McDonald, OLB, Texas Christian

35. Chicago Bears: Kevin Williams, DT, Oklahoma State

36. Houston Texans: Dewayne White, DE, Louisville (Junior)

37. Arizona Cardinals: Kelley Washington, WR, Tennessee (Eligible Sophomore)

38. Dallas Cowboys: Lee Suggs, RB, Virginia Tech

39. Jacksonville Jaguars: Eugene Wilson, CB, Illinois

40. Minnesota Vikings: Rashean Mathis, S, Bethune-Cookman

41. Washington Redskins: Vince Manuwai, G, Hawaii

42. St. Louis Rams: Rod Davis, ILB, Southern Miss (Junior)

43. Baltimore Ravens: Dave Ragone, QB, Louisville

44. Seattle Seahawks: Tyler Brayton, DT, Colorado

45. Carolina Panthers: Taylor Jacobs, WR, Florida

46. Kansas City Chiefs: Kyle Boller, QB, California

47. San Diego Chargers: Bryant Johnson, WR, Penn State

48. Buffalo Bills: Antwan Peek, OLB, Cincinnati

49. Denver Broncos: Chris Simms, QB, Texas

50. New England Patriots: Jarret Johnson, DT, Alabama

51. Miami Dolphins: Steve Sciullo, OT, Marshall

52. New Orleans Saints: Julian Battle, S, Tennessee

53. Cleveland Browns: Calvin Pace, DE, Wake Forest

54. New York Jets: Troy Polamalu, S, Southern Cal

55. Atlanta Falcons: Talman Gardner, WR, Florida State

56. Indianapolis Colts: Darnell Dockett, DT, Florida State (Junior)

57. New York Giants: Nick Eason, DT, Clemson

58. San Francisco 49ers: Doug Gabriel, WR, Central Florida

59. Pittsburgh Steelers: Shane Walton, CB, Notre Dame

60. Tennessee Titans: Lance Briggs, OLB, Arizona

61. Green Bay Packers: Eric Manning, DT, Oregon State

62. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Shurron Pierson, OLB, South Florida (Junior)

63. Oakland Raiders: Terrence Holt, S, North Carolina State

64. Philadelphia Eagles: Teyo Johnson, TE, Stanford (Eligible Sophomore)

I like Tex's pics for what the 'SKINS take as fas as positions(I don't know anything about the DT from Kentucky) and 2nd over all Guard with our 2nd pick.

Somehow I could see good old Charlie's Texans pursuing Stephen Davis and if they got him -trading down in the first for more picks.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

I wouldn't be disappointed with the Andre Johnson pick at all, but I feel other needs being fulfilled would be better for us.

I doubt this would happen because Roy Williams isn't declaring this year, and he won't before Jan. 9th. So Jacksonville will draft Andre Johnson instead, and I can't see Minnesota finally drafting defense after ignoring it for so long. They'll follow recent history and draft offense...again.

The only way they draft an offensive player in the 1st round if if they can get a bookend RT. It took them until November to sign Bryant McKinnie, but his signing was a huge turning point for their season. They have a good offense at this point anyway. They'll take the best DE or CB/S available at the time I'm betting.

Although I like the WR pick in round one, IMO we need that guard from Hawaii, how's Ramsey gonna get Johnson the ball on his back. The only way I see us taking him is if we get a good guard in FA, and from all indications SS said that they would not be major players in the FA market this year..........

I'm under the impression that the guard out of hawaii will be moved to center since he is only 6'2 which wont hurt since he is used to playing in a pass friendly offense.

Dont know anything about the Bluegrass DT

The cowpokes drafting Suggs from Va tech is a scary thought if he has regained his speed.

Originally posted by Canyonero!

The only way they draft an offensive player in the 1st round if if they can get a bookend RT. It took them until November to sign Bryant McKinnie, but his signing was a huge turning point for their season. They have a good offense at this point anyway. They'll take the best DE or CB/S available at the time I'm betting.

For years and years, the Vikings have had a good offense and still didn't draft defense early. The only pick I can recall them using early on a defensive player was Chris Hovan. They should and NEED to pick defense with the first round, all I'm saying is don't count on it.

Archived