Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One improvement that was evident in JC's play last night.

mistertim

Although the offense was lackluster (especially the line), there was one thing I noticed Campbell do a few times that I never saw him do once in his starts last year: 3 step drops. And not just 3 step drops, but successful 3 step drops. The perfect 39 yarder to Santana was off of a 3 step drop, and I noticed at least one or two other completions made that way. It may seem like a minor thing but IMO it is a big development, especially against the blitz and under big pressure (like pretty much every down last night). Yes, they did get to him a couple times and he needs to hold on to the ball better when hit, but those things are correctable.

Do you all agree or am I overstating something relatively minor?

Although the offense was lackluster (especially the line), there was one thing I noticed Campbell do a few times that I never saw him do once in his starts last year: 3 step drops. And not just 3 step drops, but successful 3 step drops. The perfect 39 yarder to Santana was off of a 3 step drop, and I noticed at least one or two other completions made that way. It may seem like a minor thing but IMO it is a big development, especially against the blitz and under big pressure (like pretty much every down last night). Yes, they did get to him a couple times and he needs to hold on to the ball better when hit, but those things are correctable.

Do you all agree or am I overstating something relatively minor?

Nice observation.

:cheers:

the times he fumbled were on 3 step drops. too many of them he took his drop and did not release the ball. I have no problem with that if the throw was not there, but he can't stand there. he has to move. all in all,other than that, I thought he looked ok.

the times he fumbled were on 3 step drops. too many of them he took his drop and did not release the ball. I have no problem with that if the throw was not there, but he can't stand there. he has to move. all in all,other than that, I thought he looked ok.

Actually the first one was about 5 steps or so and the second was even more. However, you still have a valid point. At first he was not sensing the rush well enough, but it seemed that he adjusted relatively well. Then again that was the first time he had seen any real pass rush since the Giants game last year; I think he'll be fine.

I tought his pump fakes for hand offs were pretty good. Even if it doesn't call for a hand off, he should do it at least once (if he's taking more than 3 steps back) to take full advantage of the stupid tuck rule.

Yeah, I don't remember which quarter it was, but he ran a draw play and backed into the pocket and I was scared he was about to have the ball knocked from his hand on the wind up only to realize he had handed the ball off. Completely juked me and the camera man.

Archived